Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

neilski

Original Poster:

1,763 posts

121 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
I'll be fitting a HID kit on Saturday and wondered from those who'd already done it (Verysideways?) where the best place is for the ballasts.

Is it behind the headlamp units (partly exposed to the elements) or under the carpet to the sides of the luggage compartment? Is drilling any holes in the bodywork a bad idea because of potential rust and to be avoided at all costs?

fidgits

17,121 posts

115 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
have a look on renlist - there is a guide IIRC..

silver993tt

8,555 posts

125 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
neilski said:
I'll be fitting a HID kit on Saturday and wondered from those who'd already done it (Verysideways?) where the best place is for the ballasts.

Is it behind the headlamp units (partly exposed to the elements) or under the carpet to the sides of the luggage compartment? Is drilling any holes in the bodywork a bad idea because of potential rust and to be avoided at all costs?


Good quality Velcro can be used instead of drilling. Avoids any future rust problems

ian_dorrian

110 posts

134 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
Try here...

http://p-car.com/diy/diy.html

KR,

Ian D

verysideways

9,289 posts

158 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
I put them in the wheel arches - as shown here:
www.verysideways.com/pages/cars/993C2_hids.htm

It's very well protected in there, and i wrapped mine in foam to stop them rattling around and to seperate them from condensing surfaces...
Advertisement

verysideways

9,289 posts

158 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
excellent 993 pic in your profile by the way lick

robmug

1,044 posts

149 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
Did it on my 964 and stuck the ballast boxes on the inner wing under the carpet. Used sticky number-plate tape/pads.

graeme73s

5,017 posts

103 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
robmug said:
Did it on my 964 and stuck the ballast boxes on the inner wing under the carpet. Used sticky number-plate tape/pads.

Hi Robmug,
were did you buy yours from ?
cheers Graeme

c2look

3,728 posts

111 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
graeme73s said:
robmug said:
Did it on my 964 and stuck the ballast boxes on the inner wing under the carpet. Used sticky number-plate tape/pads.

Hi Robmug,
were did you buy yours from ?
cheers Graeme


Yes, do tell!

aceparts_com

3,533 posts

127 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
Stick them on the inner wing using velcro. we can do HID kits for just £125 inclusive!

verysideways

9,289 posts

158 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th October 2006 quote quote all
Alan - YHM!
Need an H1 kit for this C2 and another H1 kit for my 540...

993_C2S

203 posts

112 months

[news] 
Friday 20th October 2006 quote quote all
VS, LOL! About time

neilski

Original Poster:

1,763 posts

121 months

[news] 
Friday 20th October 2006 quote quote all
Thanks for the replies guys. The kit does include some double sided "stickybackplastic" cut to the same dimensions as the ballasts so I'll have a play about tomorrow to see where they fit best.

If people want a HID kit without spending OPC money, I bought mine from eBay for £69.99 from Xenon Lights Direct plus £20 for shipping so £90 all in. I was a bit dubious of the quality of such a cheap kit at first but decided to risk it and if it turned up and was shite I'd stick it straight back on eBay.

I'm aware that Hids4u have had a mention a few times on here so once it arrived I had a quick look on their website to see if there were any major differences between the two and this is what I saw....

Hids4u kit £209.99

Xenon Lights Direct kit £69.99

....and going by the pictures, I have to say that £140 is a lot to pay for a different box! hehe

The ballasts in the kit supplied look slightly different, with just some German writing on them instead of a fancy sticker, plus there are also a pair of brackets to hold the ballasts and the previously mentioned sticky pads. All in all it looks good for the money.

To be fair, I haven't fitted the kit yet so will let you all know whether it was money well spent or money down the drain after the weekend.

993_C2S

203 posts

112 months

[news] 
Friday 20th October 2006 quote quote all
Damn that's cheap! I bought mine from HIDS4U, eBay, £180, 1 year ago. No problems to report.

Edited by 993_C2S on Friday 20th October 11:59

verysideways

9,289 posts

158 months

[news] 
Friday 27th October 2006 quote quote all
Well i got my HID kit from Alan (Aceparts), £130 all in, fitted it the same day.

As an aside, i had a problem with my kit which Alan rectified within 24 hours. That's the sort of service i will happily pay for - thank you Aceparts!

burriana

16,293 posts

140 months

[news] 
Friday 27th October 2006 quote quote all
Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get some yellow headlamp bulbs from?

Don't ask .. I have these strange ideas sometimes!

Sundeep

537 posts

124 months

[news] 
Friday 27th October 2006 quote quote all
neilski said:


that's my old car in the picture !

aceparts_com

3,533 posts

127 months

[news] 
Friday 27th October 2006 quote quote all
neilski said:
Thanks for the replies guys. The kit does include some double sided "stickybackplastic" cut to the same dimensions as the ballasts so I'll have a play about tomorrow to see where they fit best.

If people want a HID kit without spending OPC money, I bought mine from eBay for £69.99 from Xenon Lights Direct plus £20 for shipping so £90 all in. I was a bit dubious of the quality of such a cheap kit at first but decided to risk it and if it turned up and was shite I'd stick it straight back on eBay.

I'm aware that Hids4u have had a mention a few times on here so once it arrived I had a quick look on their website to see if there were any major differences between the two and this is what I saw....

Hids4u kit £209.99

Xenon Lights Direct kit £69.99

....and going by the pictures, I have to say that £140 is a lot to pay for a different box! hehe

The ballasts in the kit supplied look slightly different, with just some German writing on them instead of a fancy sticker, plus there are also a pair of brackets to hold the ballasts and the previously mentioned sticky pads. All in all it looks good for the money.

To be fair, I haven't fitted the kit yet so will let you all know whether it was money well spent or money down the drain after the weekend.


If you'd said you wanted the cheapest kit I've got about 20 HID kits that we've sampled (some for only about 10 minutes) that you can have for £50 each. No warranty of course

c2look

3,728 posts

111 months

[news] 
Friday 27th October 2006 quote quote all
aceparts_com said:


If you'd said you wanted the cheapest kit I've got about 20 HID kits that we've sampled (some for only about 10 minutes) that you can have for £50 each. No warranty of course


Anything for a 3.2 carrera?

aceparts_com

3,533 posts

127 months

[news] 
Friday 27th October 2006 quote quote all
You need a bi xenon for that (we do a particularly good kit with a switchable shutter that gives you HID main and dip) £150
2 3
Reply to Topic