Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

bossgriff

Original Poster:

104 posts

87 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th February 2007 quote quote all
Not strictly business but I wondered if I could find out how much a relative of mine left in their Will. I'm not after any money or am in a position to contest the Will but I just would like to know if the main beneficiary, who is a close relative of mine, is actually telling the truth when she says that she was not left hardly any money.

princess_s

307 posts

90 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th February 2007 quote quote all

If you are in the will you should be able to request a copy of the will. Im not sure how you stand if you are not in the will.

bossgriff

Original Poster:

104 posts

87 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th February 2007 quote quote all
My husband presumably is in the Will because he was left some money but I don't know the solicitors name because my mother-in-law wrote the cheque out to him.

princess_s

307 posts

90 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th February 2007 quote quote all
bossgriff said:
My husband presumably is in the Will because he was left some money but I don't know the solicitors name because my mother-in-law wrote the cheque out to him.


Surely if your husband was named in the will he should have received a letter from the solicitor stating how much he has inherited and then he would have got a cheque from the solicitor once he had replied. Well that is how the solicitor worked when dealing with my great aunts will.

Although it depends on who the executor of the will was.

bossgriff

Original Poster:

104 posts

87 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th February 2007 quote quote all
The executor of the Will was my mother-in-law.

When my Nan died I got a cheque off my dad and never saw the Will.

Advertisement

princess_s

307 posts

90 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th February 2007 quote quote all

I take it from your posts that it wouldnt be okay for you to just ask your MiL. This site might be your best bet then

www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm


steviebee

4,583 posts

135 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th February 2007 quote quote all
I think I'm right in saying that the council in which the death was registered holds all wills of the deceased for public scrutiny.

bossgriff

Original Poster:

104 posts

87 months

[news] 
Friday 16th February 2007 quote quote all
princess_s said:

I take it from your posts that it wouldnt be okay for you to just ask your MiL. This site might be your best bet then

www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm




I've contacted the Courts to get a copy of the Probate.

Thank you for the replies.

stevieb

5,154 posts

147 months

[news] 
Friday 16th February 2007 quote quote all
steviebee said:
I think I'm right in saying that the council in which the death was registered holds all wills of the deceased for public scrutiny.


I was under the same impression that they are held by the Public records office for anyone to look at! you just need to turn up at the Public records office that covers the district of where the person lived and request the probate records for that date, and giving the persons details.

Steve

tigger1

7,663 posts

101 months

[news] 
Friday 16th February 2007 quote quote all
Not 100% but I'm pretty sure that a will becomes a public documents once it is dealt with.

Lurking Lawyer

3,669 posts

105 months

[news] 
Friday 16th February 2007 quote quote all
The will itself won't necessarily tell you what a specific beneficiary has received.

It will if it was a specific bequest e.g. "I leave £1,000 to my great nephew Tarquin". But it may be a series of specific bequests and then state that the (undefined) remainder be paid to the person in question.

Certainly worth having a look but just be aware that the will itself may not give you all the figures.

stevieb

5,154 posts

147 months

[news] 
Friday 16th February 2007 quote quote all
Lurking Lawyer said:
The will itself won't necessarily tell you what a specific beneficiary has received.

It will if it was a specific bequest e.g. "I leave £1,000 to my great nephew Tarquin". But it may be a series of specific bequests and then state that the (undefined) remainder be paid to the person in question.

Certainly worth having a look but just be aware that the will itself may not give you all the figures.


So by completing a probate request will show you the copy of the will and what each beneficiary has recieved? So in effect is a mini account statement of how the executor has distributed the estate?

Thanks

Steve

boosted ls1

13,555 posts

140 months

[news] 
Friday 16th February 2007 quote quote all
steviebee said:
I think I'm right in saying that the council in which the death was registered holds all wills of the deceased for public scrutiny.



That's interesting to know. Many years ago my wife had a relative telling her that her father hadn't left a will and we didn't believe her. So, how does it work? Who is obliged to provide information to the council and is it done when the will is prepared or after death?

Boosted.

percy flage

1,770 posts

102 months

bossgriff

Original Poster:

104 posts

87 months

[news] 
Friday 16th February 2007 quote quote all
I'm sending off my £5.00 today to the Probate Registry who will do a 4 year search of the Register and if they find it they will send me a copy of the Will and a copy of the Grant of Probate.

When I receive the copies I'll do a post to tell you if it is worth doing.

falcemob

7,387 posts

116 months

[news] 
Friday 16th February 2007 quote quote all
I just hope it doesn't cause any ill feeling in your family if your husband has been stitched up.

bossgriff

Original Poster:

104 posts

87 months

[news] 
Friday 16th February 2007 quote quote all
My husband's happy with what he received but we just would like to know the truth and quash the rumours going round the family.

tigger1

7,663 posts

101 months

[news] 
Sunday 18th February 2007 quote quote all
bossgriff said:
My husband's happy with what he received but we just would like to know the truth and quash the rumours going round the family.


Good luck.

Have checked and it appears to be true that only the executor has a right to see the will in he first instance, but once there's a grant of probate anyone can apply to see it as it's then technically a public document.

Also, unlike on Emmerdale, there's no such requirement in the UK to have a "reading of the will". Another load of American "just for TV" bollards.
Reply to Topic