Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

mcanny

5,607 posts

122 months

[news] 
Monday 20th July 2009 quote quote all
touchngo said:
As for diamond cut alloys. I can do the outer rim but if its a full wheel there is only one place in the country that does it for me and he charges me £100 -£120 per wheel, however the finish is impeccable, BUT, there is no lacquer that I know of that etches over bare alloy so they may not last too long if they get chipped.
Odd, I had a set of alloys that needed a diamond cut refurb 3 years ago, took them to a chap in Wakefield who did a cracking job of the full face and put on lots of lovely layers of lacquer that remains flawless to this day. OK they haven't been chipped and get waxed and generally looked after but they have lasted well. He was cheap too.

Tony Bickerstaffe - Wakefield: 01924 259932 - may well have packed it in now but if he's still around he's worth a go.

He had a few M3 wheels in when I visited too IIRC, nice work, old school stuff but high standards.




Wheelrepairit

2,065 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 21st July 2009 quote quote all
touchngo said:
BUT, there is no lacquer that I know of that etches over bare alloy so they may not last too long if they get chipped.
Etch lacquer, its the way forward

David911RSR

1,141 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 22nd July 2009 quote quote all
mcanny said:
touchngo said:
As for diamond cut alloys. I can do the outer rim but if its a full wheel there is only one place in the country that does it for me and he charges me £100 -£120 per wheel, however the finish is impeccable, BUT, there is no lacquer that I know of that etches over bare alloy so they may not last too long if they get chipped.
Odd, I had a set of alloys that needed a diamond cut refurb 3 years ago, took them to a chap in Wakefield who did a cracking job of the full face and put on lots of lovely layers of lacquer that remains flawless to this day. OK they haven't been chipped and get waxed and generally looked after but they have lasted well. He was cheap too.

Tony Bickerstaffe - Wakefield: 01924 259932 - may well have packed it in now but if he's still around he's worth a go.

He had a few M3 wheels in when I visited too IIRC, nice work, old school stuff but high standards.
Thanks for reminding me about this guy. He did a fantastic job on a friends Fezza 575 split rims a couple of years ago. I could not find his contact details when i wanted my alloys refurbing so I went to an outfit in Garforth. Would not use them again!!!

philmots

3,161 posts

143 months

[news] 
Wednesday 22nd July 2009 quote quote all
Is the factory finish powder or paint? I'm desperate to get mine done and just want them looking as fatory as possible!

snotrag

10,693 posts

94 months

[news] 
Wednesday 22nd July 2009 quote quote all
David911RSR said:
I went to an outfit in Garforth. Would not use them again!!!
Do tell - I was contemplating taking my wheels there a while back - havent got round to it yet.
Advertisement

mitch78

958 posts

79 months

[news] 
Wednesday 22nd July 2009 quote quote all
Me too, in fact I nearly took them down this afternoon!

Looks like I could be taking the safer option of Steve Edwards, based on all the feedback I've read so far.

Mr Whippy

18,816 posts

124 months

[news] 
Thursday 23rd July 2009 quote quote all
snotrag said:
David911RSR said:
I went to an outfit in Garforth. Would not use them again!!!
Do tell - I was contemplating taking my wheels there a while back - havent got round to it yet.
Check here:
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0...

They did an 'ok' job for £60 a piece.

But when you can spend £90 a piece and get them back almost flawless in wet paint, then you think Steve Edwards is best just spending the extra at.

I guess it depends what you want.

Kelly in that linked to thread recommends Lepsons for a good cheap powdercoat, even sending them down to be done, but I heard the same about the above and wasn't happy in the end. What I see in pictures of maybe their best work (that has maybe taken a week to achieve and lots of prep/intermediate work), might not be what I get...

Worth just going to Steve Edwards because he has proven his skills and I've seen customers work and know if I spend the little extra to go there I will get the wheels back and just be happy full stop, rather than constantly looking at the bobbly top coat, or specs in the base coat, or bad coverage of metallic etc etc etc etc...

Dave

Edited by Mr Whippy on Thursday 23 July 13:52

grahamw48

9,918 posts

121 months

[news] 
Thursday 23rd July 2009 quote quote all
Hmmm...wonder if Mr.Edwards will do my OZ splits. scratchchin

David911RSR

1,141 posts

93 months

[news] 
Monday 27th July 2009 quote quote all
snotrag said:
David911RSR said:
I went to an outfit in Garforth. Would not use them again!!!
Do tell - I was contemplating taking my wheels there a while back - havent got round to it yet.
They did an average job. Strasse sent my GT3 split rims to Tony Bickerstaffe and he did a very good job. Will use him next time now I have his contact details again.


rick hoddy

1 posts

50 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th May 2010 quote quote all
Hi for anyone requiring Alloy wheel refurbishment give C&R Alooys a call. They are brilliant full mobile servive with UV oven. www.candralloys.co.uk

Jam Spavlin

838 posts

68 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th May 2010 quote quote all
touchngo said:
kennyboy said:
Can anyone recommend a good alloy wheel refurb outfit in Leeds?

A mate has just bought a c-class Merc with amg split rim alloys and they need refurbishing - though only cosmetically.
I operate a wheel refurbishment business in Wakefield. I work for me with my son helping. You deal with me direct not an employee. I have been doing this for 9 years and therefore I know my stuff. £25 per wheel? cheap crap repair me thinks.

I am happy to come look at wheels and give you an idea of what is possible. As for diamond cut alloys. I can do the outer rim but if its a full wheel there is only one place in the country that does it for me and he charges me £100 -£120 per wheel, however the finish is impeccable, BUT, there is no lacquer that I know of that etches over bare alloy so they may not last too long if they get chipped.

Anyway I could talk on here for hours.

Give me a buzz if you want to discuss.

07773 366977
Scott
Scott are you the same Scott that used to have the mint red 850R? and sold it for a volvo with a ford badge stuck on?
1 2
Reply to Topic