Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Mrs NucSquash

Original Poster:

617 posts

103 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Hi All,

I have never tested my typing skills before but I am currently looking for a new job and everyone keeps asking me what score my wpm is so I have this evening tested myself - I have done 4 different tests and my scores are -

56 wpm
59 wpm
63 wpm
64 wpm

Now is that poor, average, good or better then good??

Thanks,
Nik

Graebob

2,170 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
I demand to know where you took the tests, for comparitive study read

Karen182

4,214 posts

120 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
You'd probably want to be aiming a bit higher 70-80 wpm.

Mrs NucSquash

Original Poster:

617 posts

103 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
I just typed in google 'typing tests' and took did the whole page.

I did this one - http://www.typingtest.com/default.asp

Edit to say - I have had a few to drink so maybe not the best time to be taking a test!!

Edited by Mrs NucSquash on Wednesday 5th September 22:17

Graebob

2,170 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
69 WPM at 94% accuracy because I am a super spaz who can't spell
Advertisement

Mrs NucSquash

Original Poster:

617 posts

103 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Graebob said:
69 WPM at 94% accuracy because I am a super spaz who can't spell
Thats my problem, my spelling lets me down a lot.

I have never been taught to touch type - just picked it up. I have someone asking what my wpm is for a job I have applied for, if i put 64 wpm do think that will go down well or not? Should I just say I dont know?

soprano

1,378 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Karen182 said:
You'd probably want to be aiming a bit higher 70-80 wpm.
Surely it would depend on what you want to work as? A secretary for example should have higher WPM than most office jobs - I think the scores are pretty respectable

Mrs NucSquash

Original Poster:

617 posts

103 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
soprano said:
Karen182 said:
You'd probably want to be aiming a bit higher 70-80 wpm.
Surely it would depend on what you want to work as? A secretary for example should have higher WPM than most office jobs - I think the scores are pretty respectable
Its for an admin/secretary role - but starting at the bottom, its not a high flying position.

soprano

1,378 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Mrs NucSquash said:
soprano said:
Karen182 said:
You'd probably want to be aiming a bit higher 70-80 wpm.
Surely it would depend on what you want to work as? A secretary for example should have higher WPM than most office jobs - I think the scores are pretty respectable
Its for an admin/secretary role - but starting at the bottom, its not a high flying position.
I'm no typing wiz (in fact probably a bit shit!) but I think 70 - 80 is a quite high, I would say 63 ish which you are achieving is reasonably good and should be fine - plus you will get quicker the more practice you get if the role involves alot of typing

soprano

1,378 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Well I took the test and confirmed that, yes I am a bit slow confused

I was stuggling to hit 40wpm, think 55 to 65 will do you just fine!

Mrs NucSquash

Original Poster:

617 posts

103 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
soprano said:
Mrs NucSquash said:
soprano said:
Karen182 said:
You'd probably want to be aiming a bit higher 70-80 wpm.
Surely it would depend on what you want to work as? A secretary for example should have higher WPM than most office jobs - I think the scores are pretty respectable
Its for an admin/secretary role - but starting at the bottom, its not a high flying position.
I'm no typing wiz (in fact probably a bit shit!) but I think 70 - 80 is a quite high, I would say 63 ish which you are achieving is reasonably good and should be fine - plus you will get quicker the more practice you get if the role involves alot of typing
I would of thought 70 - 80 is a little on the high side.

soprano

1,378 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Mrs NucSquash said:
soprano said:
Mrs NucSquash said:
soprano said:
Karen182 said:
You'd probably want to be aiming a bit higher 70-80 wpm.
Surely it would depend on what you want to work as? A secretary for example should have higher WPM than most office jobs - I think the scores are pretty respectable
Its for an admin/secretary role - but starting at the bottom, its not a high flying position.
I'm no typing wiz (in fact probably a bit shit!) but I think 70 - 80 is a quite high, I would say 63 ish which you are achieving is reasonably good and should be fine - plus you will get quicker the more practice you get if the role involves alot of typing
I would of thought 70 - 80 is a little on the high side.
Yep I would say you would have to be a pretty accomplished typist to be hitting that!

Karen182

4,214 posts

120 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
I don't do much actual typing like I used to in previous roles so I've got worse.

Net Speed: 84 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 98%
Gross Speed: 85 WPM
(words/minute)


Mrs N - have you got any relevant secretarial qualifications or anything that would help getting a role?

Mrs NucSquash

Original Poster:

617 posts

103 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Karen182 said:
I don't do much actual typing like I used to in previous roles so I've got worse.

Net Speed: 84 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 98%
Gross Speed: 85 WPM
(words/minute)


Mrs N - have you got any relevant secretarial qualifications or anything that would help getting a role?
No, I havent. Other then 5 years admin experience which includes a lot of letter writing, emails etc...

As i say the roles I have gone for are a mixture of admin and secretarial so I am hoping they may offer me a chance to improve on my secretarial skills.

soprano

1,378 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Karen182 said:
I don't do much actual typing like I used to in previous roles so I've got worse.

Net Speed: 84 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 98%
Gross Speed: 85 WPM
(words/minute)


Mrs N - have you got any relevant secretarial qualifications or anything that would help getting a role?
Blimey twice as fast and more accurate. Looks like i've been outgunned.

Karen182

4,214 posts

120 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Mrs NucSquash said:
Karen182 said:
I don't do much actual typing like I used to in previous roles so I've got worse.

Net Speed: 84 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 98%
Gross Speed: 85 WPM
(words/minute)


Mrs N - have you got any relevant secretarial qualifications or anything that would help getting a role?
No, I havent. Other then 5 years admin experience which includes a lot of letter writing, emails etc...

As i say the roles I have gone for are a mixture of admin and secretarial so I am hoping they may offer me a chance to improve on my secretarial skills.
Guess it depends on the person interviewing - when I got my current job they particularly wanted someone with formal secretarial training - however these days there are a lot of jobs asking for graduates - with no training. I have an absolute nightmare every time I need a temp to cover me, they are hopeless these days so maybe things are less important.

You could always do a short evening class if you wanted to improve?

Neil_Sc

2,156 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Woohooo

Net Speed: 80 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 98%
Gross Speed: 81 WPM
(words/minute)

But I do an IT job and used to do alot of programming nerd

soprano

1,378 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Neil_Sc said:
Woohooo

Net Speed: 80 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 98%
Gross Speed: 81 WPM
(words/minute)

But I do an IT job and used to do alot of programming nerd
Holy crap - so you are as good as me, but with just one of your arms working? Thats a bit depressing frown

Raffles

1,921 posts

116 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Net Speed: 31 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 86%
Gross Speed: 36 WPM
(words/minute)

Damn I'm good hehe

soprano

1,378 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Raffles said:
Net Speed: 31 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 86%
Gross Speed: 36 WPM
(words/minute)

Damn I'm good hehe
Hey welcome to my world buddy!! We must be those useless graduates Karen was talking about!!
2
Reply to Topic