Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

sierrap100

Original Poster:

10 posts

82 months

[news] 
Monday 5th November 2007 quote quote all
i have just bought a sierra p100 as my first resto job i am intending to put a cossy front end on it and lower it all round but have leaf springs on the back i need to know how i would lower the back step by step i have seen ones for sale that have been lowered on the back how is it done

Mr2Mike

12,241 posts

140 months

[news] 
Monday 5th November 2007 quote quote all
Lowering blocks with longer U bolts and de-cambering the springs are the usual methods of lowering a leaf sprung live axle.

The blocks fit between the axle and the spring, hence needing longer U bolts to hold the assembly together.

ELAN+2

2,224 posts

117 months

[news] 
Monday 5th November 2007 quote quote all
Mr2Mike said:
Lowering blocks with longer U bolts and de-cambering the springs are the usual methods of lowering a leaf sprung live axle.

The blocks fit between the axle and the spring, hence needing longer U bolts to hold the assembly together.
I disagree, this will promote axle wind up unless you fit some kind of upper links, I'd go for de cambered leaf springs or modify the chassis to take the Sierra IRS set up with coil springs. Both methods have been done before, have a nosey on the ford forums for some advice.

sierrap100

Original Poster:

10 posts

82 months

[news] 
Tuesday 6th November 2007 quote quote all
fair play lads really stuck for info on this leaf spring business and is de cambering removing some of the leafs from the springs or what also is a massive job to put a 3dr cossy front on a p100 the idea is really starting to grow on me but i dont have a 3dr cossy to look at to see what it intales can it be done has it being done??????

ELAN+2

2,224 posts

117 months

[news] 
Tuesday 6th November 2007 quote quote all
Give Niel at caprisport a shout, If IIRC he built a mad rover powered p100 that looked like a cossie from the front, If he doesn't know what to do/how to do it, he'll know who will be able to help. You could also scan the back issies of the Ford magazines as they have run articles on modded P100 over the years. Google Caprisport to get niels web site....it may be TCX engineering!!, hope this helps

Mark
Advertisement

Mr2Mike

12,241 posts

140 months

[news] 
Tuesday 6th November 2007 quote quote all
ELAN+2 said:
Mr2Mike said:
Lowering blocks with longer U bolts and de-cambering the springs are the usual methods of lowering a leaf sprung live axle.
I disagree, this will promote axle wind up unless you fit some kind of upper links
You disagree that this is the usual method of lowering a live axle? I disagree with your disagreement. I will agree however, that for the reasons you state it;s not the best way to do it.

ELAN+2

2,224 posts

117 months

[news] 
Tuesday 6th November 2007 quote quote all
Mr2Mike said:
ELAN+2 said:
Mr2Mike said:
Lowering blocks with longer U bolts and de-cambering the springs are the usual methods of lowering a leaf sprung live axle.
I disagree, this will promote axle wind up unless you fit some kind of upper links
You disagree that this is the usual method of lowering a live axle? I disagree with your disagreement. I will agree however, that for the reasons you state it;s not the best way to do it.
I agree that this is the common "Max Powder" cheapo method of lowering a leaf spring, its on a par with clamps to lower coil springs.......I did it once and learned from my mistake!!(lowering blocks that is) hehe
Reply to Topic