Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3 4 5 6
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

pikey

Original Poster:

7,646 posts

170 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
5pen said:
How long a commute are you willing to endure?
Somewhere around 1hr 15m breaking down as..

15 mins drive to station
45 mins to London Bridge
15 mins to Canary Wharf

oggs

8,611 posts

140 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
Ben some nice places in Harlington Bedfordshire train times are around 1 hrs 3-8 mins to London bridge First Capital Connect.

Example of a nice housesmile

pikey

Original Poster:

7,646 posts

170 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
5pen said:
Tonbridge is a hadily placed because it is where two main lines join and consequently trains are reasonably frequent. You get a good choice of London Terminus too - London Bridge, Waterloo East, Charing Cross and Cannon Street are all well served and some trains will only stop at Sevenoaks in between. I go to Cannon Street which takes about 45mins in the morning and a bit less in the evening - knock off 5 mins or so for London Bridge.
This sounds really useful and I haven't considered it yet. Thanks - I will browse!

pikey

Original Poster:

7,646 posts

170 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
oggs said:
Ben some nice places in Harlington Bedfordshire train times are around 1 hrs 3-8 mins to London bridge First Capital Connect.
Cheers Oggs, but it's a bitch to get to Canary Wharf from there and doesn't work well for Mrs.P's commute either. Has to be South or West really.

That reminds me, I was going to PM you! wink

blueyes

4,799 posts

138 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
pikey said:
5pen said:
How long a commute are you willing to endure?
Somewhere around 1hr 15m breaking down as..

15 mins drive to station
45 mins to London Bridge
15 mins to Canary Wharf
Shame. I've heard good reports about this train.


Advertisement

jimmyd123

371 posts

106 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
Although there has already been a rant today about C2C, I find there services is generally very good (not excellent), only once or twic a month I have issues (this month was last night and this morning, hopefully no more). The best part is when there are problems with the C2C line I can jump on the District line which takes an extra 15 minutes, no big deal.

merc_man

1,925 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
I commute to Canary Wharf every day Southampton Parkway station. 15 minute drive to the station, get on the 7:08. Get to Waterloo around 8:20. Arrive Canary Wharf 8:45. (All times subject to change!)

It's a long day, you might want something closer!

pikey

Original Poster:

7,646 posts

170 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
jimmyd123 said:
Although there has already been a rant today about C2C, I find there services is generally very good (not excellent), only once or twic a month I have issues (this month was last night and this morning, hopefully no more). The best part is when there are problems with the C2C line I can jump on the District line which takes an extra 15 minutes, no big deal.
Which is the C2C line? Can you suggest some stations at about the 30 / 45 min from London point?

Failing about once a month is do-able.

wiggy001

3,223 posts

157 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
pikey said:
scotal said:
soeone told me its £8 a day to park at their station.
Where is it? Picadilly??
Please tell me you don't mean Piccadilly as in Central London?! That'd be £32 a day parking...

If you're looking out towards kent, I'd suggest Sevenoaks/Tonbridge as a couple of nice areas to look. I live in Orpington (not as nice) which takes me 30 mins on the train into many of the main stations.

bracken78

828 posts

92 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
pikey said:
bracken78 said:
Apart from the 2.5K cost I’m reasonable happy with my commute from Guildford to Waterloo. Takes 35 ish minutes, and I always get a seat.

I don't have to park, so don't know the cost as I walk to the station.
What is the parking at Guildford like? I see a few places crop up at village close enough.
Parking is good from what I know as one chap gets the same train as me in the morning (7.45) and he has no problem parking his Range Rover in the car park. He drives in from Farnham as there train service takes 1 hour, but is a 15m drive away. I also know quite a few family friends that drive in from about 10 miles away to use the Guildford train.

There are some really nice Villages around the area, and I really like Surrey/Hampshire.

pmanson

11,278 posts

139 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
Pikey,

Did the other house you were looking at fall through then?

I've now moved jobs and commuting into London Euston from Leighton Buzzard. It takes around 32 minutes on the fast train which I can't complain about!

Phill

Fats25

5,611 posts

115 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
As already said - Tonbridge and surrounding is good.

Originally from Medway with a 50 min commute - which I hated at the time but in hindsight was good. Although you have to be choosey with your areas in the Medway towns!

Moved to Crowborough - Just over the hour - but you would be anmazed how much that extra 10/15 mins pisses you off on a daily basis.

Now live in Kings Hill (West Malling) - train is awful into the city - so I ride every day - but location for living is excellent for me. Everything I need and love it here. Could drive to Paddock Wood or Tonbridge in 15 mins though.

In Kent - Sevenoaks and Tonbridge are probably best commuter places, and still far enough away from London with good villages around.

Vixpy1

41,372 posts

150 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
Guildford and woking have excellent services to Waterloo..

However, you don't actually want to live in Woking.

evoesque

1,023 posts

92 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
I do Reading to Paddington.

20 Minute train journey. Trains every 5 minutes in rush hour. All high speed and direct.

Don't know the exact cost as my ticket includes travel from Paddington to Canary Wharf. Costs me (the company!!!) £35 ish.

Car park however, from 8am to about 7pm is £14!!!!

Just seen you need to get to CW. From getting on the train at Reading it takes me about 1hr 15mins (1hr on a good day, 1.5hrs on a bad one)

Edited by evoesque on Wednesday 16th January 17:06


Edited by evoesque on Wednesday 16th January 17:08

Vixpy1

41,372 posts

150 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
Some nice villages around Reading, however Reading itself is a dump.

dern

13,287 posts

165 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
evoesque said:
I do Reading to Paddington.

20 Minute train journey. Trains every 5 minutes in rush hour. All high speed and direct.

Don't know the exact cost as my ticket includes travel from Paddington to Canary Wharf. Costs me (the company!!!) £35 ish.

Car park however, from 8am to about 7pm is £14!!!!
What's the tube like from Paddington to Canary Wharf?

evoesque

1,023 posts

92 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
Vixpy1 said:
Some nice villages around Reading, however Reading itself is a dump.
Agreed, although Reading is slowly getting there. Henley-on-Thames is ok (although fookin pricey). There are some nice villages about the area though.

evoesque

1,023 posts

92 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
dern said:
evoesque said:
I do Reading to Paddington.

20 Minute train journey. Trains every 5 minutes in rush hour. All high speed and direct.

Don't know the exact cost as my ticket includes travel from Paddington to Canary Wharf. Costs me (the company!!!) £35 ish.

Car park however, from 8am to about 7pm is £14!!!!
What's the tube like from Paddington to Canary Wharf?
Slight PITA TBH but bearable. I go Bakerloo line to Baker street (about 5-10 mins) and the Jubilee all the way (about 20 mins).

I also do Egham to Canary Wharf. Train is deadly slow (about an hour) and normally rammed full of students. Then it's a 15 minute tube journey. It is a lot cheaper at about £18 but to be honest the Reading trip is less stressful.

Edited by evoesque on Wednesday 16th January 17:14

bracken78

828 posts

92 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
Vixpy1 said:
Guildford and woking have excellent services to Waterloo..

However, you don't actually want to live in Woking.
Yep, thats very true.

dern

13,287 posts

165 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
evoesque said:
dern said:
evoesque said:
I do Reading to Paddington.

20 Minute train journey. Trains every 5 minutes in rush hour. All high speed and direct.

Don't know the exact cost as my ticket includes travel from Paddington to Canary Wharf. Costs me (the company!!!) £35 ish.

Car park however, from 8am to about 7pm is £14!!!!
What's the tube like from Paddington to Canary Wharf?
Slight PITA TBH but bearable. I go Bakerloo line to Baker street (about 5-10 mins) and the Jubilee all the way (about 20 mins).
Thanks.
1
3 4 5 6
Reply to Topic