Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

pikey

Original Poster:

7,646 posts

167 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
oggs said:
zcacogp said:


Yes, indeed interesting that the Mini and Ka convertibles both get singled out as 'unsuitable'.


Oli.
rofl GF only run Mini's
Ah, but they're not the convertible version I presume?


justlivyalife

4,094 posts

90 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
I was going to take the test in my car, but it broke down on the way, so took it in my sisters (on which I was insured) - I didn't have any driving lessons anyway, so didn't have an instructors car to use at such short notice (5 days...) Passed anyway!

planetdave

9,915 posts

136 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
Ex instructor here.

Own car is fine as long as relevant regs are complied with.

Car must be insured for driving tests (and have tax + MOT)

Passenger side must have rear view mirror of adequate dimensions and working seat belt.

L plates to be CLEARLY displayed....on the front and back NOT on top of the bonnet - keep them as close to vertical as possible.

Not sure if this is required but I believe they want a rear seat (so the examiner can be assesed by his boss) and convertibles must have the roof up. See the full list but IIRC the StreetKa is a no-no.

No loose stuff esp in the cabin. Test may be stopped if the examiner gets worried about things wandering around in the boot.

That's about it really - if you are taking her for test arrive at the test centre nice and early (so you aren't getting stressed in a traffic jam) and mooch around doing a little distracting practise eg an emergency stop or anything else that wont dent confidence but keeps the mind busy. Be in the waiting room with minutes to spare for time to settle, but not enough to get nervous, and maybe a quick pee.

And remember to do more manouvre practise than driving around - especially reversing around corners and parallel parking. It's the reversing that usually gets the girls.


bint

4,451 posts

107 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
planetdave said:
Ex instructor here.

<lots of useful info>

It's the reversing that usually gets the girls.
Good to know. I took my test in my own car as my instructor had actually suggested I learn in my car as a) it would save me money and b) it was the car I would be driving after I passed. Obviously only suggested it once I was at a level sufficient to not need dual control in his opinion.

  • must not rise to bait about reversing*

V8S

8,471 posts

120 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
I took my test in about 2001 in a Mk2 Cavalier and no mention was made about special insurance or fitting interior mirrors.

Course, that doesn't help you so I'll shut up.
Advertisement

Gregor Marshall

921 posts

111 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
Took mine in a Suzuki Jeep van in 1995 and did nothing special, not even a named driver, was on my Dad's trader insurance policy.

During the test the indicators stopped working and when it came to reversing around a corner because it was a van the insrtuctor said I had to do it the opposite way, which did throw me! Luckily I passed though.

pikey

Original Poster:

7,646 posts

167 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
planetdave said:
Car must be insured for driving tests (and have tax + MOT)
Ah, so this is the point - what does that mean? My insurance company confirmed it was, but didn't impose special conditions, issue an additional certificate or charge more money?

planetdave said:
L plates to be CLEARLY displayed....on the front and back NOT on top of the bonnet - keep them as close to vertical as possible.
Gotcha! Ours are vertical on bonnet (Yarises / Yariis have a plastic front bit, nowhere to tie and a vertical metal bonnet)


planetdave said:
That's about it really - if you are taking her for test arrive at the test centre nice and early (so you aren't getting stressed in a traffic jam) and mooch around doing a little distracting practise eg an emergency stop or anything else that wont dent confidence but keeps the mind busy. Be in the waiting room with minutes to spare for time to settle, but not enough to get nervous, and maybe a quick pee.
Ta. I've thought I'll drive her there and just plonk her in. First time she drives she's pretty good, but after an hour's practice, at the end of a 12 hour working day, mistakes get made.

planetdave said:
And remember to do more manouvre practise than driving around - especially reversing around corners and parallel parking. It's the reversing that usually gets the girls.
As in this case - all 3 failures have been due to the same. I don't quite understand the disconnect - she seems wants to do it 'academically' on a set of instructions (ie. 1 turn left, pass the car, 1 turn right, 1 turn left) rather than 'feel' which way the car is turning. Just lots of practice I think (unless you have any magic suggestions!)

smile

paoloh

8,582 posts

87 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
Has anyone found a definitive answer on SMG yet?

Toltec

2,297 posts

106 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
paoloh said:
Has anyone found a definitive answer on SMG yet?
My wife only has an auto license, when we were looking for a new car she quite fancied an MR2. The SMT version does not have a clutch pedal but gears must be changed manually, it is however classed as an automatic.

I queried the DVLA about the MR2 and got this reply-

DVLA said:
I can confirm that provided your wife has a full category B licence (limited to automatics only) she will be entitled to drive the vehicle in question. A vehicle with automatic transmission mean a class of vehicle in which either –



a) the driver is not provided with any means whereby she may vary the gear ratio between the engine and the road wheels independently of the accelerator and the brakes, or

b) she is provided with such means but they do not include a clutch pedal or lever which she may operate manually,

(and accordingly a vehicle with manual transmission is any other class of vehicle)
From that I would say that if the SMG does not have a clutch pedal it is an auto

paoloh

8,582 posts

87 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
But V5 states manual and SMG stands for Sequential MANUAL Gearbox.....

thekirbyfake

5,275 posts

118 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
sniff petrol said:
topless_mx5 said:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I wonder what the most expensive car anyone has taken a test in is. I heard once of someone doing it in a Ferrari 360, anyone top that?
Tom Hartley junior was due to take his test in a F355 back in 1999 when he was 17 but that car failed on him so he had to use an F50 instead.
An F360M according to TH Jr himself. http://www.tomhartley.com/articles.php?page=tom_ju...

I believe there was an issue with taking the test in a LHD only F40 or F50 so had to settle for a measly 360M. Either that or couldn't use the F1 550M he wanted as it was deemed an auto.

Something like that anyhoo.

LathamJohnP

4,414 posts

167 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
paoloh said:
But V5 states manual and SMG stands for Sequential MANUAL Gearbox.....
Much as I can understand your desire to prevent negative "auto" associations from ruining your ownership experience, an SMG is not a proper manual.

BMW can call it whatever they like, but if you don't have direct, independent control of the clutch, it's auto-something.

John

oggs

8,599 posts

137 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
pikey said:
oggs said:
zcacogp said:


Yes, indeed interesting that the Mini and Ka convertibles both get singled out as 'unsuitable'.


Oli.
rofl GF only run Mini's
Ah, but they're not the convertible version I presume?
Reading was never my strong point paperbag

elwe

185 posts

103 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
I see there is no explicit requirement for a reverse gear. I would love to see the examiners face if you turned up in a bike engined car and asked him/her to get out and push when it came to the manovers! Especially if it was something like an original mini with a sleeper conversion so they had no advanced warning (except the engine note and rev counter).

What would happen if you turned up in a vehicle with a clutch peddle but that could also operate totally automatically, and then left it in auto mode? Would you get an auto license or a full one?

oggs

8,599 posts

137 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
elwe said:
I see there is no explicit requirement for a reverse gear.
How would they reverse around a corner or do a turn in the road confused

paoloh

8,582 posts

87 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
LathamJohnP said:
paoloh said:
But V5 states manual and SMG stands for Sequential MANUAL Gearbox.....
Much as I can understand your desire to prevent negative "auto" associations from ruining your ownership experience, an SMG is not a proper manual.

BMW can call it whatever they like, but if you don't have direct, independent control of the clutch, it's auto-something.

John
Honestly John, that is not my reasoning behind this argument. As stated earlier, I'd been thinking about this for a while but no one seems to be able to give a definitive answer.

I couldn't care less what I drive, I actually love driving my AUTO ML. It is a simple question on this topic.

Toltec

2,297 posts

106 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th January 2008 quote quote all
paoloh said:
LathamJohnP said:
paoloh said:
But V5 states manual and SMG stands for Sequential MANUAL Gearbox.....
Much as I can understand your desire to prevent negative "auto" associations from ruining your ownership experience, an SMG is not a proper manual.

BMW can call it whatever they like, but if you don't have direct, independent control of the clutch, it's auto-something.

John
Honestly John, that is not my reasoning behind this argument. As stated earlier, I'd been thinking about this for a while but no one seems to be able to give a definitive answer.
I was under the impression that the answer I received from the DVLA was indeed definitive.

SMT stands for Sequential Manual Transmission on the MR2 btw - it is still an automatic by definition.

I ended up buying a 325 auto for my wife because she did not like the 330 SSG she tried.

SNDa

1,095 posts

91 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2008 quote quote all
pikey said:
I'll be able to tell you on Saturday if you're right or not! smile
And did she pass?

pikey

Original Poster:

7,646 posts

167 months

[news] 
Thursday 24th January 2008 quote quote all
SNDa said:
And did she pass?
Nope. frown

Same thing as before, reversing. As she's now appointed me her instructor I'll be changing the Yaris for a Caterham and teaching her J-Turns.. whilst blindfolded smile


pikey

Original Poster:

7,646 posts

167 months

[news] 
Thursday 24th January 2008 quote quote all
Dave80s said:
Note that you cannot take your test in a Toyota Yaris with the digital speedo, as the examiner can't see how fast you are going from the passenger seat.
This is not correct, the examiner was fine with the speedo.
1 2
Reply to Topic