Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

MKH9130

Original Poster:

4,054 posts

91 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
What is the average salary for a car salesperson (basic+commission)?

Does it differ if you work for a supposed prestige marque as opposed to a less prestige marque?

I'm currently training as a Surveyor whilst cutting my teeth selling commercial property (Have previously sold residential property too) but not sure its what I really want to be doing as I am finding rather UNstimulating.

I'm quite successful in selling property as I take a different approach to most commercial (and residential) agents in that I am honest and not pushy! Not sure if this approach would work with selling cars (Just kidding) but I reckon I would be good at it and I have a passion for cars that I simply don't have for buildings!



Edit for missing critical word!


Edited by MKH9130 on Tuesday 25th March 21:54

stockhatcher

1,719 posts

106 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
you say you have a passion for cars? how will you translate this when dealing with an 85 year old customer bying a second hand 1.0 L Polo Fox?hehe

in answer to your question : about £30k on average depending on the busy - ness of the showroom.

Edited by stockhatcher on Tuesday 25th March 21:41

MKH9130

Original Poster:

4,054 posts

91 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
stockhatcher said:
you say you have a passion for cars? how will you translate this when dealing with an 85 year old customer bying a second hand 1.0 L Polo Fox?hehe

in answer to your question : about £30k on average depending on the busy - ness of the showroom.

Edited by stockhatcher on Tuesday 25th March 21:41
Lol, that sounds like an interview question wink I think it is better to have a job where you're actually interested in what you're doing/selling which is the one thing missing from my current job!

Regards pay, I thought it was considerably less than that. How much would that be made out of commission?

paoloh

8,582 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
Basic between £10 - £12k with 10% bonnet commission. For example, £1k profit=£100 commission.

MKH9130

Original Poster:

4,054 posts

91 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
paoloh said:
Basic between £10 - £12k with 10% bonnet commission. For example, £1k profit=£100 commission.
How does that translate in an average month/year? Ie, what would be the expected number of units shifted?

My current firm works with a much much lower commission (1.5% of profit) but my basic salary is considerably higher. I.e. the often huge effort in getting a property from the market to completion may warrant the company with an income of £2k, but I would only see £30 of that.


Advertisement

paoloh

8,582 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
MKH9130 said:
paoloh said:
Basic between £10 - £12k with 10% bonnet commission. For example, £1k profit=£100 commission.
How does that translate in an average month/year? Ie, what would be the expected number of units shifted?

My current firm works with a much much lower commission (1.5% of profit) but my basic salary is considerably higher. I.e. the often huge effort in getting a property from the market to completion may warrant the company with an income of £2k, but I would only see £30 of that.

[/quote
A decent salesman should sell 15 to 20 units a month.

MKH9130

Original Poster:

4,054 posts

91 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
paoloh said:
MKH9130 said:
paoloh said:
Basic between £10 - £12k with 10% bonnet commission. For example, £1k profit=£100 commission.
How does that translate in an average month/year? Ie, what would be the expected number of units shifted?

My current firm works with a much much lower commission (1.5% of profit) but my basic salary is considerably higher. I.e. the often huge effort in getting a property from the market to completion may warrant the company with an income of £2k, but I would only see £30 of that.

[/quote
A decent salesman should sell 15 to 20 units a month.
I see you're a DP in Sussex. Want to employ me? biggrin

hehe

Is there a big divide between the marques in terms of expected salary?



okgo

22,842 posts

81 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
http://www.romansinternational.com/page/home.html

Depends where you work hehe


I was/am toying with the idea or cars..BMW have asked me to go and do the test day in canary wharf after I applied I am v tempted to give it a go

paoloh

8,582 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
MKH9130 said:
paoloh said:
MKH9130 said:
paoloh said:
Basic between £10 - £12k with 10% bonnet commission. For example, £1k profit=£100 commission.
How does that translate in an average month/year? Ie, what would be the expected number of units shifted?

My current firm works with a much much lower commission (1.5% of profit) but my basic salary is considerably higher. I.e. the often huge effort in getting a property from the market to completion may warrant the company with an income of £2k, but I would only see £30 of that.

[/quote
A decent salesman should sell 15 to 20 units a month.
I see you're a DP in Sussex. Want to employ me? biggrin

hehe

Is there a big divide between the marques in terms of expected salary?
Not really.

At main dealers, your Sales Manager will dictate how many sales you make by either making or breaking a deal.

An Independant dealer will give you more scope and freedom.

Where are you based?

88wiff

2,300 posts

78 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
I think the answer to this question is very difficult, as i would asume it depends on the dealership, the brand, your experience and most importantly your ability to sell cars! If you asked the car sales people on here what they earned, the people who are good at their job and earn well put quite simply would probaly not to tell you as they will be on a level of earning where they would not need to blow there own trumpet, and the ones that are not so good (let's say) would tell you they earn way more than what they actually do, it's the same in any industry!

Edited by 88wiff on Tuesday 25th March 22:06

Plotloss

67,255 posts

153 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
A tidy living, you know, if they're selling money at 25% APR over 60 months.

paoloh

8,582 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
Plotloss said:
A tidy living, you know, if they're selling money at 25% APR over 60 months.
Don't get me started on 2 threads.LOL

MKH9130

Original Poster:

4,054 posts

91 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
paoloh said:
Not really.

At main dealers, your Sales Manager will dictate how many sales you make by either making or breaking a deal.

An Independant dealer will give you more scope and freedom.

Where are you based?
Ah, so when the salesman goes off for a word with his manager it isn't just a sales tactic, then? smile Sounds a bit like my current role, acting as a broker between the buyer and seller (and often getting caught in the crossfire!)

I'm currently based in Hove but my work takes me anywhere from Chichester to Eastbourne and up to Redhill.



Edited by MKH9130 on Tuesday 25th March 22:14

phoenixblend

216 posts

80 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
I sold cars for 8 months - Was the worse 8 months of my life.

It was a large, high pressure dealership, which treated their staff with more distain than their customers. Every day was a living hell. I only did it to save up enought o put a deposit on a house. I earnt £30k and saved £15k in 8 months

However this was ONE particular dealership - I have a friend who works for a small independant 2nd hand dealer who loves his job and earns well. So really my point is - Its a good job if you get the right dealership.

CarlT

3,047 posts

130 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
Depends how good you are!

I know of a salesman that will Gross £9,000 this month !!!

A good sales exec selling circa 250 - 300 cars a year will earn £40K plus !

okgo

22,842 posts

81 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
phoenixblend said:
I sold cars for 8 months - Was the worse 8 months of my life.

It was a large, high pressure dealership, which treated their staff with more distain than their customers. Every day was a living hell. I only did it to save up enought o put a deposit on a house. I earnt £30k and saved £15k in 8 months

However this was ONE particular dealership - I have a friend who works for a small independant 2nd hand dealer who loves his job and earns well. So really my point is - Its a good job if you get the right dealership.
There is lots of sales jobs like this unfortunatly. Not just in cars.

But it sounds like you did ok out of it smile

phoenixblend

216 posts

80 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th March 2008 quote quote all
okgo said:
phoenixblend said:
I sold cars for 8 months - Was the worse 8 months of my life.

It was a large, high pressure dealership, which treated their staff with more distain than their customers. Every day was a living hell. I only did it to save up enought o put a deposit on a house. I earnt £30k and saved £15k in 8 months

However this was ONE particular dealership - I have a friend who works for a small independant 2nd hand dealer who loves his job and earns well. So really my point is - Its a good job if you get the right dealership.
There is lots of sales jobs like this unfortunatly. Not just in cars.

But it sounds like you did ok out of it smile
Yeah - I'm running my own buisness now and love my job smile (and my lovely new house!) and doing that gave me the push to take the plunge to work for my self.

insanojackson

3,513 posts

127 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th March 2008 quote quote all
I earn 43k a year at min as a cop but i think that i would be good as a salesman, no bullste just a car enthusiast. do you recon i would do well?

from my experience of buying cars i know more than the salesmen. The police is cak at the moment so would wrapping kin and selling cars be worth it?

caterhamboy

399 posts

81 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th March 2008 quote quote all
wait for your pension if i was you!! sales jobs aren't about how well you know your product but how well you know your margin!

ironictwist

6,934 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th March 2008 quote quote all
Wheres car.chic gone? :P
2
Reply to Topic