Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

R3v 1

Original Poster:

623 posts

70 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th January 2009 quote quote all
Hello All,

Unfortunately lost my job just before christmas as the company went under. I have decided (Been young) that I fancy a change of scenery for a while and to get out and about alittle more. I have a passion for driving and throughly enjoy it, I am also a member of the IAM.

Looking at doing maybe 12 - 18 months of Trade Plate Driving and was just wondering anyones opinion on this line of work.

If anyone can offer an advice regards to companies etc it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I passed my test after 1998 so only hold the entitlement on my license for cars and vans.

Thanks

R3v

PS - I live in Yorkshire Region.

R3v 1

Original Poster:

623 posts

70 months

[news] 
Monday 12th January 2009 quote quote all
No one at all? Oh well... No harm in trying!

interloper

2,294 posts

142 months

[news] 
Monday 12th January 2009 quote quote all
Try Fleetnetwork (08005422070), they are a large organiser of car and van deliverys. Even if they don't employ trade plate drivers directly they are bound to know a company/ companies who do.

bmw2002

8,596 posts

111 months

[news] 
Monday 12th January 2009 quote quote all
And try the car auctions, they 'plate' a lot of stuff around too.

R3v 1

Original Poster:

623 posts

70 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th January 2009 quote quote all
Thanks for your replies.

I'll try and contact Fleetnetwork sometime tomorrow and have enquired with BCA Brighouse today aswell as Premier Auctions at Leeds.
Advertisement

ss64ii

304 posts

105 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th January 2009 quote quote all
You really want to spend hours in the rain/wind/cold thumbing a lift to your next pick up?
I worked as a repo agent for years, dropped off a few trade plate drivers to their next pick-up, most of them said they didn't get any money for train fares/travel to their next job, always at the side of the road hitching lifts. Loads of hours to work too, for not much money.
Only if your desperate, in my opinion.

R3v 1

Original Poster:

623 posts

70 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th January 2009 quote quote all
ss64ii said:
You really want to spend hours in the rain/wind/cold thumbing a lift to your next pick up?
I worked as a repo agent for years, dropped off a few trade plate drivers to their next pick-up, most of them said they didn't get any money for train fares/travel to their next job, always at the side of the road hitching lifts. Loads of hours to work too, for not much money.
Only if your desperate, in my opinion.
In all honesty... None of that really bothers me... I get to drive a variety of different cars to places I may have never been to in my life and meet many different people... Find that very interesting and something which has caught my attention.

Been stuck in an office 9 - 5 monday - friday seeing the same faces and same things day in day out is my idea of hell! Always nice to be out and about.



Edited by R3v 1 on Thursday 15th January 11:18

Taita

5,482 posts

90 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th January 2009 quote quote all
How old are you? I wouldn't mind doing this over a weekend etc or delivering cars from compounds to dealers but fear my age would get in the way as they would assume I'm a boy racer.

R3v 1

Original Poster:

623 posts

70 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th January 2009 quote quote all
Taita said:
How old are you? I wouldn't mind doing this over a weekend etc or delivering cars from compounds to dealers but fear my age would get in the way as they would assume I'm a boy racer.
I am only 23 myself. I know that age is an issue in this line of work (One company I looked at its average age of drivers was 58!). But I have held a license now 6 years with 6 years NCB and I'm an IAM member.

I'd strongly recomend the IAM course if its something you fancy giving ago at. It can't hurt!

I know some companies recruit you direct through the books at it set hours, but others will take you on as self employeed and ring you as and when you are needed. That may be a better option for yourself.

lifesabeach

137 posts

94 months

[news] 
Thursday 15th January 2009 quote quote all
I have some knowledge of "plating",know drivers/done some driving and have used various companies to collect cars and to be honest its more suited to retired people with free bus passes.

As has already been said, you don't get anything towards travel between jobs. Mileage is paid at about 18-20p a Miles (based on autoroutes shortest distance) after a minimum pay of £15, (up to first 60 Miles).You need a good planner to get you close job-job transfers, but they just look at postcodes mostly, without local knowledge and might see YO26 and YO25 as close, but even then it can take an hour or so to use public transport, (you get good days and terrible days) trying to hitch nowadays is very limited due to health and safety regs with other vehicle drivers and people just not wanting to stop, (trick if your standing on North side, get a sign saying South, people will always stop to tell you your on wrong side.......then just hop in!!!!)Most tend to just go on the bus(s) (hence the free bus pass is an advantage) as if you have waited an hour in the rain and get no lift, you have lost an hour and still have to get the bus, not to mention how many dealers are located out of town, not to mention the car holding compounds at old airfields (try Bruntingthorpe!!!).

Most companies give you jobs to take the last car home at night, so you can be on the road early to start the day, (4/5am) but traffic, dealer balls ups, etc etc can mean not getting back home until late, or if you ,miss you last pick up, staying at a BB (forget hotels, the company will make a contribution, (small) towards an overnight if its necessary and out of your control).
The people I know seem to average about £250-£300 per week, less your transport and tax (your self employed), less insurance contribution to the company of about £2.50 a week.
Unless your driving to Scotland and Cornwall every day, you would be lucky to average £3 an hour, taking into account transfer times as well.

Yes its a nice way to drive cars, but you will also get the knackered commercials from auctions to buyers, certain stained ex motability cars and the odd new RS4!!!!

Plating is not for everybody, but some make a living out of it and have done it for years, there are a few companies always looking for drivers, United Fleet Distribution (now owned by BCA), Parkhall and NKL automotive Goole.

Hope this helps

Edited by lifesabeach on Thursday 15th January 19:59

MLL

2 posts

55 months

[news] 
Thursday 1st April 2010 quote quote all
Hi Mate

I run a car transportation company in Yorkshire who deliver vehicles all over the UK using small one and two car transporters. However, we are currently in the process of introducing trade plate drivers to our comapny. Are you still interested? If so, send me your details, points on licence, location, and why you want to do this.
Thanks Matthew

Dan_1981

10,907 posts

86 months

[news] 
Friday 2nd April 2010 quote quote all
I used to use a couple of plating companies in my previous job.

Alot of the drivers that we used were self employed but worked for a company - so the individual was responsible for tac contributions, NI and things like that - the company just provided them with the plates and the actual work.

Insurance costs for the company were huge - and I mean massive. So they were very picky about who they employed - I seem to remeber there was no-one under about 40 on the books. I think the insurance stipulated no-one under 30.

The jobs was sometimes good sometimes bad - if you can get an in and out then all is well. Drop a car off and take one out.

The problems start to arise when you deliver a car to Norwich and your next pick up is in Ipswich.
I've been tempted to give it ago but havn't gone for it yet.

Good Luck - and drop the guy above a line!

eta: Try a coupel of these links

http://www.thejobsmine.co.uk/job/2323800/trade-pla...

http://www.nklautomotive.co.uk/deliver/trade_plate...

http://www.automotivelogistics.com/about/



Edited by Dan_1981 on Friday 2nd April 10:38

Defcon5

4,656 posts

78 months

[news] 
Friday 2nd April 2010 quote quote all
Are these the guys who stand on m-way slip roads with thr red and white plates trying to blag lifts?

Dan_1981

10,907 posts

86 months

[news] 
Friday 2nd April 2010 quote quote all
Defcon5 said:
Are these the guys who stand on m-way slip roads with thr red and white plates trying to blag lifts?
Yup

MLL

2 posts

55 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th May 2010 quote quote all
WE are now in a position to appoint two trade plate drivers. IF you are interested, email me: enquiries@motor-logistics.co.uk

Coxy914

646 posts

93 months

[news] 
Friday 4th February 2011 quote quote all
lifesabeach said:
I have some knowledge of "plating",know drivers/done some driving and have used various companies to collect cars and to be honest its more suited to retired people with free bus passes.

As has already been said, you don't get anything towards travel between jobs. Mileage is paid at about 18-20p a Miles (based on autoroutes shortest distance) after a minimum pay of £15, (up to first 60 Miles).You need a good planner to get you close job-job transfers, but they just look at postcodes mostly, without local knowledge and might see YO26 and YO25 as close, but even then it can take an hour or so to use public transport, (you get good days and terrible days) trying to hitch nowadays is very limited due to health and safety regs with other vehicle drivers and people just not wanting to stop, (trick if your standing on North side, get a sign saying South, people will always stop to tell you your on wrong side.......then just hop in!!!!)Most tend to just go on the bus(s) (hence the free bus pass is an advantage) as if you have waited an hour in the rain and get no lift, you have lost an hour and still have to get the bus, not to mention how many dealers are located out of town, not to mention the car holding compounds at old airfields (try Bruntingthorpe!!!).

Most companies give you jobs to take the last car home at night, so you can be on the road early to start the day, (4/5am) but traffic, dealer balls ups, etc etc can mean not getting back home until late, or if you ,miss you last pick up, staying at a BB (forget hotels, the company will make a contribution, (small) towards an overnight if its necessary and out of your control).
The people I know seem to average about £250-£300 per week, less your transport and tax (your self employed), less insurance contribution to the company of about £2.50 a week.
Unless your driving to Scotland and Cornwall every day, you would be lucky to average £3 an hour, taking into account transfer times as well.

Yes its a nice way to drive cars, but you will also get the knackered commercials from auctions to buyers, certain stained ex motability cars and the odd new RS4!!!!

Plating is not for everybody, but some make a living out of it and have done it for years, there are a few companies always looking for drivers, United Fleet Distribution (now owned by BCA), Parkhall and NKL automotive Goole.

Hope this helps

Edited by lifesabeach on Thursday 15th January 19:59
You've been working for the wrong company then! wink

I run a large Trade plate transport firm in the Midlands and have between 40 and 50 drivers working for me, and our drivers earn between £350 and £500 a week and we do help with some train fares and public transport costs; not all though, as everyone has to expect to pay some kind of commuting costs to work and with trade plate driving your commuting costs are what you have to pay between drop off and next pick up!
We tend to have our drivers working in teams a lot as well which minimises your getting between jobs on your own.




Coxy914

646 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd March 2011 quote quote all
due to winning another major contract, we have 5 vacancies for drivers in the North Shropshire/Stoke/Cheshire area

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&a...

brianok

1 posts

42 months

[news] 
Sunday 8th May 2011 quote quote all
Hi I live in North Manchester. Is this too far away to apply for the trade plating job
Brian

spikeyhead

8,793 posts

84 months

[news] 
Monday 9th May 2011 quote quote all
brianok said:
Hi I live in North Manchester. Is this too far away to apply for the trade plating job
Brian
If you click on someone's profile then you can email those that were recruiting and ask them.

patrogerson

6 posts

43 months

[news] 
Monday 20th June 2011 quote quote all
We run a car transportation company in Nottinghamshire who deliver vehicles all over the UK. We are currently in the process of looking for additional trade plate drivers for our company,ideally you will be along the M4 corridor. If you are interested send me your contact details, points on licence, location, and why you want to do this.
2
Reply to Topic