Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

hendy

Original Poster:

475 posts

122 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
Just wondered if anyone has a similar problem. My driveway slopes down quite considerably into my garage. Up until now I have kept the car on the drive under a cover but since getting the wrap I have thought it would be nice to be able to use the garage.

Currently the splitter or exhausts ground out as I approach the garage due to the downward slope of the driveway.

Has anyone on here managed to resolve this type of problem with off the shelf or make shift ramps?

I am not looking to spend a lot of money here but it would be nice to get the car into the garage.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

davemac250

4,297 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
I had the same problem at mine.

I made up a frame out of wood and poured some concrete to form a bridge.

I have a drive that also slopes right to left so had to put a bit of pipe at the base to allow drainage.

So far it has lasted three years and except for tripping up on it twice has worked out ok.

Took no more than a couple of hours to sort.


cwk

213 posts

149 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
Simon,

I have the same problem.

What I use is a couple of scaffolding planks supported by wooden blocks, carefully positioned so that I can drive straight in.

The ramps are about a foot off the ground at the highest point of the "bridge", if that makes sense, so apparently it looks pretty scary from outside the car biglaugh

I'm not too far from you (J18/M25) so mail me if you'd like to pop over.

All the best,

Charles

hendy

Original Poster:

475 posts

122 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
cwk said:
Simon,

I have the same problem.

What I use is a couple of scaffolding planks supported by wooden blocks, carefully positioned so that I can drive straight in.

The ramps are about a foot off the ground at the highest point of the "bridge", if that makes sense, so apparently it looks pretty scary from outside the car biglaugh

I'm not too far from you (J18/M25) so mail me if you'd like to pop over.

All the best,

Charles
Thanks Charles, would be good to see how you've done it. That was the kind of thing I was hoping for but wasn't sure if scafolding planks would be upto the job.

davemac250

4,297 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
Yep,

They were my first solution.

They just started to get pushed along in front occasionally. Hence the more permanent fix.
Advertisement

996GT2

2,328 posts

93 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
I can't get my GT2 on to my drive with the splitter attached, the car looks infinitely better with the splitter on so I've done the sensible thing and sold the house and bought one with a bigger garage and flat drive.

biggrin


hendy

Original Poster:

475 posts

122 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
hendy said:
I am not looking to spend a lot of money here
996GT2 said:
I can't get my GT2 on to my drive with the splitter attached, the car looks infinitely better with the splitter on so I've done the sensible thing and sold the house and bought one with a bigger garage and flat drive.

biggrin
Thanks....that sounds like a quick fix...will look into it wink

Edited by hendy on Friday 8th May 09:46

flow99

857 posts

91 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
996GT2 said:
I can't get my GT2 on to my drive with the splitter attached, the car looks infinitely better with the splitter on so I've done the sensible thing and sold the house and bought one with a bigger garage and flat drive.

biggrin
Did a similar thing! Not a cheap fix, but when I borrowed a GT3 from the local OPC, took the splitter off when trying to get into the garage. So demolished the garage (and the attached house), re-built them, bought a GT3 and all sorted!

Henry-F

4,605 posts

128 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
Don't be such a fairy. Knock up a bit of ply shuttering and get the ready mix man down in his lorry. You'll get same day or next day at the moment and it will last forever. You won't fall out with the insurers when you claim for a scaffolding tube poking through the floorpan and they come round to take pictures of your little bridge. The next I. K. Brunell ?

You'll be spared the "where there's a blame there's a claim" litigation when someone trips over it on the way to burgle your house and the neighbours won't think you need locking up. You'll even get your money back when it comes time to sell the gaff.

Henry smile

Sandy59

1,215 posts

94 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
I also had a similar problem, managed to bridge the offending area with a few bags of tarmac bought from B&Q.

cwk

213 posts

149 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
Henry, my driveway slopes up immediately from the garage door so that plan wouldn't work. Believe me, I'd prefer something permanent!

If I made a bridge it would have to start on the drive and finish in the garage, so I wouldn't be able to shut the door silly

So far (touch wood), I've had no problems with the ramps sliding, so it's not too bad a solution. The only issue I have is that I need help lining the car up onto the scaffolding planks, but hey, that's what a wife is for! I'm looking at getting one of those MOT station mirrors installed inside the garage to help out with that.....

Simon, for reference, my car weighs around 1200kgs. I put blocks under the planks so there isn't too much of an unsupported "run" - and it's a case of so far so good!

I know that some people have installed nuts in their driveways and screw in supports. That's another option, but at the time I didn't fancy hacking up my newly-laid block paved driveway.

HTH

Charles

Henry-F

4,605 posts

128 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
Roller shutter type door that comes down to meet you newly re-profiled drive way / garage entrance about 6-8 inches higher than your existing threshold. Put a drain across the entrance at the same time to stop water getting into the garage.

H. smile

cwk

213 posts

149 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
Henry-F said:
Roller shutter type door that comes down to meet you newly re-profiled drive way / garage entrance about 6-8 inches higher than your existing threshold. Put a drain across the entrance at the same time to stop water getting into the garage.

H. smile
I see what you mean! Now that is a good idea. I wish I'd thought of it biggrin

melv

4,694 posts

148 months

[news] 
Friday 8th May 2009 quote quote all
cwk said:
Henry-F said:
Roller shutter type door that comes down to meet you newly re-profiled drive way / garage entrance about 6-8 inches higher than your existing threshold. Put a drain across the entrance at the same time to stop water getting into the garage.

H. smile
I see what you mean! Now that is a good idea. I wish I'd thought of it biggrin
Sounds as though you have got the job H!! wink

Or:

http://www.tijramps.co.uk/


robmug

1,044 posts

146 months

[news] 
Sunday 10th May 2009 quote quote all
Try reversing in...
Sounds silly, but there are some driveways I can't get on in the GT3 unless I reverse on.
Reply to Topic