Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
Im just curious.
Is it illegal?
Is it illegal unless a Doctor says otherwise?
Or is it actually legal unless a Doctor says otherwise?

THanks all

Arese

18,854 posts

71 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
I hope it's legal. I drove for two weeks with my left leg in plaster. I had to hire an automatic though, and the only one they had left was a Zafira. <shudder>

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
Fair enough in an automatic.
I have my right leg in plaster and a manual so it might be slightly different.
THats what Im trying to ascertain.

Arese

18,854 posts

71 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
blindswelledrat said:
Fair enough in an automatic.
I have my right leg in plaster and a manual so it might be slightly different.
THats what Im trying to ascertain.
I guess it would come down to the 'fitness to drive' law. I assume the cast goes from below the knee to your toes?

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
Yes. Ive tested the water and its barely any different driving with it on than off hence I would hope that it is ok on that front.
I just have a gut feeling it isn't legal and I don't know why.
Advertisement

10 Pence Short

32,690 posts

101 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
It'll boil down to being in full control of the vehicle. Can you do an emergency brake? Can you move your leg quickly and without hinderance between the brake and throttle pedal?

If you can, drive. If you can't, don't.

iamed

209 posts

58 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
When my mate's ankle was in plaster he didn't drive. I think the doctor said he was unfit to drive, and that was that as far as the insurance company was concerned.

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
10 Pence Short said:
It'll boil down to being in full control of the vehicle. Can you do an emergency brake? Can you move your leg quickly and without hinderance between the brake and throttle pedal?

If you can, drive. If you can't, don't.
Yes is the answer to that. Although IM not sure that is the be-all and end all of this (unless you can direct me to somewhere that the law agrees with you)
I agree with you in principle, its just not neccesarily a legal opinion

streaky

19,311 posts

133 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
blindswelledrat said:
Yes. Ive tested the water and its barely any different driving with it on than off ...
Be careful, water will disolve the plaster.

It's OK to drive with your leg plastered, just so long as it's not over 80mg.

Streaky
getmecoat

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
iamed said:
When my mate's ankle was in plaster he didn't drive. I think the doctor said he was unfit to drive, and that was that as far as the insurance company was concerned.
I havent asked the doctor, because I feel certain the doctors answer will be a default "no". Fairly sure they would not be able to ascertain your ability to drive with a plaster on thus would never ever risk saying yes and ergo leaving themselves open to being responsible.

Re INsurance- if it is an insurance issue ONLY, then presumably if you had an accident-they would have to prove that your foot being in plaster caused it if they wanted to not pay out?

oldsoak

5,618 posts

86 months

Arese

18,854 posts

71 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
Hmm, if the cast is fitted properly then you shouldn't be able to move your ankle, which would make driving very difficult.

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
Arese said:
Hmm, if the cast is fitted properly then you shouldn't be able to move your ankle, which would make driving very difficult.
Hmmm, good point. I have a split cast on at the moment which is more felxible than perhaps they should be. Perhaps this will become a moot point when they replace it with a proper one again then.
Although Im not sure.

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
oldsoak said:
NOt really that relevant I dont think. But thanks

oldsoak

5,618 posts

86 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
blindswelledrat said:
oldsoak said:
NOt really that relevant I dont think. But thanks
Ahh so you missed the bit...
R.Tickle said:
While there is no specific offence of driving with a foot in plaster, the Highway Code states that drivers must 'ensure that clothing and footwear do not prevent you from using the controls in the correct manner'.
then?

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
SOrry, fair point. THis was then contradicted by the next paragraph with a quote saying that it isn't really legal so Im still none the wiser though.

Arese

18,854 posts

71 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
blindswelledrat said:
Arese said:
Hmm, if the cast is fitted properly then you shouldn't be able to move your ankle, which would make driving very difficult.
Hmmm, good point. I have a split cast on at the moment which is more felxible than perhaps they should be. Perhaps this will become a moot point when they replace it with a proper one again then.
Although Im not sure.
How long have you had it on? I've never been so depressed as I was when I had mine on. I could hardly walk, really useless on crutches (being 17st), and had to wear a big rubber sock over it when I showered. Mrs Arese went away for the weekend when I'd had the plaster on for ten days. As soon as I'd waved her off, I cut the plaster off with a Stanley knife and wire cutters hehe

oldsoak

5,618 posts

86 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
blindswelledrat said:
SOrry, fair point. THis was then contradicted by the next paragraph with a quote saying that it isn't really legal so Im still none the wiser though.
I'm wondering if the link I posted is to the same article as I intended...there is no such paragraph on the page I saw...there is a ROSPA bod on about it being 'unwise' but I see no 'illegal' being mentioned. In fact the final paragraph says....
That para said:
The Association of British Insurers said it was lawful to drive while in a plaster, so long as a GP has signed a letter saying the motorist is 'fit' to do so.
I'm at a loss as to what you are confused about.
smile
Edit to remove Daily Wail ad blurbs

Edited by oldsoak on Monday 23 November 15:36

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
Oldsoak, as mentioned earlier- there is no way on earth that a Doctor would sign me off as alright to drive (I assume) so that sentence just reads to me that I cant.

blindswelledrat

Original Poster:

22,199 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd November 2009 quote quote all
Arese said:
[
How long have you had it on? I've never been so depressed as I was when I had mine on. I could hardly walk, really useless on crutches (being 17st), and had to wear a big rubber sock over it when I showered. Mrs Arese went away for the weekend when I'd had the plaster on for ten days. As soon as I'd waved her off, I cut the plaster off with a Stanley knife and wire cutters hehe
Yep, agree with the frustration.
10 weeks now and another 5 or 6 to go Im told. Indescribably frustrating and st.
ANd I too hate crutches, but I have to do about a mile a day on them. Gets easier but no less annoying.
2 3
Reply to Topic