PistonHeads.com Forum

Reversing Lights - 996

Reversing Lights - 996

Author
Discussion

stubbsy996

Original Poster:

743 posts

120 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all
My son kindly pointed out yesterday that when reverse engaged no reversing lights on!
Presume most likely cause is bulbs need replacing but much appreciated if anyone would care to advise?
If it is bulbs where's best place to source them ebay?

X-UFO

267 posts

95 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all

Could be the switch on the gearbox, not two bulbs gone at the same time

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=37325&highlig...



chris_w

2,552 posts

166 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all
Also check your fuses, they are on the same circuit as your electric wing mirror adjustors (or are on my 996 C2), so if they've stopped working too then bobs your mothers brother.

73 Duchess

336 posts

125 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all
Happened me last year, my money's on the gearbox switch too. Easy fix.

911perv

1,415 posts

88 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all
Advertisement

chris_w

2,552 posts

166 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all
73 Duchess said:
Happened me last year, my money's on the gearbox switch too. Easy fix.
Do you think that could be what's blowing the fuse on my car?

73 Duchess

336 posts

125 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all
Sorry chrisconfused, I didn't have any problems with the fuses at the time, it was just a switch replacement.

Nobby Diesel

1,708 posts

158 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all
Are both lenses actually fitted with bulbs?
I've never bothered to look, but it's very common for the near side only to be the reversing light, even when there is a clear lense both sides.

sportsandclassic

3,769 posts

125 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all
Hi,

Is it manual or tiptronic ?

Mike

stubbsy996

Original Poster:

743 posts

120 months

Monday 7th December 2009
quotequote all
sportsandclassic said:
Hi,

Is it manual or tiptronic ?

Mike
It's manual Mike.

chris_w

2,552 posts

166 months

Tuesday 8th December 2009
quotequote all
73 Duchess said:
Sorry chrisconfused, I didn't have any problems with the fuses at the time, it was just a switch replacement.
Ok thanks, I think it's one of the mirror motors but hadn't heard of the gearbox switches going before.

stubbsy996

Original Poster:

743 posts

120 months

Tuesday 8th December 2009
quotequote all
chris_w said:
Also check your fuses, they are on the same circuit as your electric wing mirror adjustors
(or are on my 996 C2), so if they've stopped working too then bobs your mothers brother.
Checked that tonight and wing mirrors still working so that probably eliminates the fuse.
Yet to check bulb and gear switch, so bulb(s)check will be next!
Do both rear lights have reversing lights, or is it just nearside?
(996 C2 1998)

X-UFO

267 posts

95 months

Tuesday 8th December 2009
quotequote all
stubbsy996 said:
chris_w said:
Also check your fuses, they are on the same circuit as your electric wing mirror adjustors
(or are on my 996 C2), so if they've stopped working too then bobs your mothers brother.
Checked that tonight and wing mirrors still working so that probably eliminates the fuse.
Yet to check bulb and gear switch, so bulb(s)check will be next!
Do both rear lights have reversing lights, or is it just nearside?
(996 C2 1998)
both left and right rear bulbs illuminate when reverse is selected.