Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Prince Rupert

Original Poster:

424 posts

91 months

[news] 
Monday 12th April 2010 quote quote all
Going through a village yesterday (30 zone) as part of a long trail of cars, noticed two people in hi vis jackets standing at the side of the road, one of whom had a thing that looked like a black hairdrier which I assume was a hand held speed camera.

Speedo read 34-36 when I saw them and I had two or three cars ahead of before mine was the car nearest to them. I immediately slowed to 30 and had done so before I was the nearest car to them.

My questions are, do these had held speed guns record speed/registration data, so that I could recieve a ticket in the post at a later date or would I have been stopped on the spot if the police felt I had been travelling two fast? Would a speedo reading of 36 be enough trigger a ticket at all? The second person didn't appear to have anything to record details (no camera or clip board).

Thanks for any input from those in the know!

Crusoe

3,187 posts

117 months

[news] 
Monday 12th April 2010 quote quote all
probably one of those local town groups, if there wasn't a police car parked down the road then they were just making people slow down and not able to take photos or charge you.

oldsoak

5,618 posts

88 months

[news] 
Monday 12th April 2010 quote quote all
Prince Rupert said:
Going through a village yesterday (30 zone) as part of a long trail of cars, noticed two people in hi vis jackets standing at the side of the road, one of whom had a thing that looked like a black hairdrier which I assume was a hand held speed camera.

Speedo read 34-36 when I saw them and I had two or three cars ahead of before mine was the car nearest to them. I immediately slowed to 30 and had done so before I was the nearest car to them.

My questions are, do these had held speed guns record speed/registration data, so that I could recieve a ticket in the post at a later date or would I have been stopped on the spot if the police felt I had been travelling two fast? Would a speedo reading of 36 be enough trigger a ticket at all? The second person didn't appear to have anything to record details (no camera or clip board).

Thanks for any input from those in the know!
Hit the 'search' button and type in the box the word...SPEEDWATCH
wink

Prince Rupert

Original Poster:

424 posts

91 months

[news] 
Monday 12th April 2010 quote quote all
I didn't see a police car but did think the hi vis jackets they had on said police on the back (not 100% sure though). Out of interest, assuming it was the police rather then locals does anyone know can these hand held speed guns record and save speed and registration details so a fine can be sent out at a later date, or would I have been stopped on the spot if they had registered me as speeding?

saaby93

13,048 posts

64 months

[news] 
Monday 12th April 2010 quote quote all
As said before, if theres a 30 limit you should be doing less than 30. If you think the 30 is wrong get onto the council and ask for the figures etc.
They were probably locals lent a gun by the police for the day so that they could see the traffic wasnt going as fast as they thought


Advertisement

Mr Will

12,801 posts

92 months

[news] 
Monday 12th April 2010 quote quote all
Probably Speedwatch, not Police. We used to get them quite a lot in the villages near where I grew up.

Just for reference, if you see them again then drive past at 29mph in first gear (preferably in a noisy car). Tends to puzzle them quite a lot! evil

Furry Exocet

2,295 posts

67 months

[news] 
Monday 12th April 2010 quote quote all
In answer to your question, yes you can still receive a ticket

robinh20mrv

586 posts

88 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th April 2010 quote quote all
Furry Exocet said:
In answer to your question, yes you can still receive a ticket
If it was not the bib no you cant, mrs miggins cannot do a thing but give your details to the bib who may come round to your gaff and wag a finger at you !

But if it was the bib, yes you can of course!!

Prince Rupert

Original Poster:

424 posts

91 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th April 2010 quote quote all
Thanks for the input guys, and no I have no problem with 30 limits! FWIW googling would suggest that a hand held 'hairdrier' only records speed and the police require another device, be it a regular camera, video camera or old fashioned clip board and pencil to take down the reg number. Since the hi vis person not holding the hairdrier didn't appear to have a means of recording a reg number and I saw no sign of a camera/van/car/tripod I will hopefully be okay. I guess they were maybe intending to pull people over directly although with such a long snake of closely packed traffic i'm not sure if it would be safe to do so.

Of course as has been suggested it may simply be locals having jollies!

I guess also at 10% +2 and taking into account speedo error (say 2mph at that speed) 36 on the speedo may not have been enough to register as a punishable offence anyway.

Here's hoping my clean licence stays that way!

GestapoWatch

1,171 posts

76 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th April 2010 quote quote all
saaby93 said:
They were probably locals lent a gun by the police for the day so that they could see the traffic wasnt going as fast as they thought
Does that really happen? Seems like a waste of a tax collecting device tongue out

saaby93

13,048 posts

64 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th April 2010 quote quote all
GestapoWatch said:
Does that really happen? Seems like a waste of a tax collecting device tongue out
Of course it does. It's not a waste it helps reduce the local chief's postbag. It'll be out of calibration so not enforcable but near enough for info.

GestapoWatch

1,171 posts

76 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th April 2010 quote quote all
saaby93 said:
GestapoWatch said:
Does that really happen? Seems like a waste of a tax collecting device tongue out
Of course it does. It's not a waste it helps reduce the local chief's postbag. It'll be out of calibration so not enforcable but near enough for info.

clap for the the Old Bill then.

Wonder what the Nimbys make of the evidence presented? Probably ask for 20 limits instead rage
Reply to Topic