Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

sa_20v

Original Poster:

3,844 posts

117 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st April 2010 quote quote all
Mislaid the passport (somehow) and would like to try and meet up with friends in Germany this weekend - am I able to travel on EU Drivers Licence or similar?

hornetrider

49,023 posts

91 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st April 2010 quote quote all
Nope.

mrmr96

13,689 posts

90 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st April 2010 quote quote all
No.

Without wishing to patronise (too much):
- A driving license is a license which allows you to drive.
- A passport is a pass which gets you through ports.

Although they both function as 'ID' for various domestic purposes you can no more travel to france on a driving license than you can drive a car with a passport.

Alex

7,359 posts

170 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st April 2010 quote quote all
It's not such a daft question. To travel to France, an EU citizen needs a passport OR valid ID card. Unfortunately, the only valid ID in the UK currently is a passport.

JCW

896 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st April 2010 quote quote all
Yes you can. I've done it a few times when I've forgotten my passport; the Gendarmes aren't fussed at all and I simply had to complete a form when returning to the UK which was filled out by HMRC. This was via the Eurotunnel so the ferries may operate a different policy.

Edited by JCW on Wednesday 21st April 16:56

Advertisement

shakotan

6,853 posts

82 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st April 2010 quote quote all
JCW said:
Yes you can. I've done it a few times when I've forgotten my passport; the Gendarmes aren't fussed at all and I simply had to complete a form when returning to the UK which was filled out by HMRC. This was via the Eurotunnel so the ferries may operate a different policy.

Edited by JCW on Wednesday 21st April 16:56
You shouldn't be able to.

The UK is not signed up to the Schengen Treaty.

wiki said:
The Schengen Agreement is a treaty signed in 1985, on the river-boat "Princess Marie-Astrid" anchored in Schengen, Luxembourg[1], between five of the ten member states of the European Community: Belgium, France, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and West Germany. The Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement supplemented it 5 years later, providing for the removal of systematic border controls between the participating countries.

The Amsterdam Treaty of 1997 incorporated the Schengen Agreements into the mainstream of European Union law. The borderless zone created by the Schengen Agreements, the Schengen Area, currently consists of 25 European countries, covering a population of over 400 million people and an area of 4,312,099 square kilometres (1,664,911 sq mi).[2]. Ireland and the United Kingdom opted out of Schengen's border control arrangements, while participating in certain provisions relating to judicial and police cooperation.

Taita

5,479 posts

89 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st April 2010 quote quote all
One of my parents has. She did have her expired passport as well though.

Jonny671

27,690 posts

75 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st April 2010 quote quote all
shakotan said:
JCW said:
Yes you can. I've done it a few times when I've forgotten my passport; the Gendarmes aren't fussed at all and I simply had to complete a form when returning to the UK which was filled out by HMRC. This was via the Eurotunnel so the ferries may operate a different policy.

Edited by JCW on Wednesday 21st April 16:56
You shouldn't be able to.

The UK is not signed up to the Schengen Treaty.

wiki said:
The Schengen Agreement is a treaty signed in 1985, on the river-boat "Princess Marie-Astrid" anchored in Schengen, Luxembourg[1], between five of the ten member states of the European Community: Belgium, France, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and West Germany. The Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement supplemented it 5 years later, providing for the removal of systematic border controls between the participating countries.

The Amsterdam Treaty of 1997 incorporated the Schengen Agreements into the mainstream of European Union law. The borderless zone created by the Schengen Agreements, the Schengen Area, currently consists of 25 European countries, covering a population of over 400 million people and an area of 4,312,099 square kilometres (1,664,911 sq mi).[2]. Ireland and the United Kingdom opted out of Schengen's border control arrangements, while participating in certain provisions relating to judicial and police cooperation.
Suprised at that.. Any one else can just walk into our country, may aswell let them all in.

I did think a EU Driving Licence was fine in Europe.. Guess not.

ewenm

27,006 posts

131 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st April 2010 quote quote all
I thought it was that you could leave the UK and be fine with just your driving licence around Europe until you try to get back into the UK. Of course, you could just claim you lost your passport somewhere on the journey back to the border crossing...

Opulent

4,464 posts

66 months

[news] 
Friday 23rd April 2010 quote quote all
I used to work for an airline (pre 2001, I must admit). If someone didn't have the correct documentation at check-in, then the airline (who is liable for checking against the destination country's entry requirements) may request a dispensation from the destination country's immigration department, on a case-by-case basis. Probably somewhere around a 50% success rate, depending on other circumstances (party size, was the passport lost en route, etc).

Recommend you check with the airline - they have a TIM (Travel Information Manual) which gives exact legal entry requirements for every country/nationality of traveller in the world - for example outlining when Forces ID's can be used, or which countries can travel on ID cards without passports (i.e. the French).

However, there is nothing obligatory about it. There is nothing stopping the destination country from flatly refusing if you don't comply.

Disclaimer: The above may have changed, quite drastically, since 9/11.

Planet Claire

1,890 posts

95 months

[news] 
Friday 23rd April 2010 quote quote all
I drove to France a few years ago via the EuroTunnel. Getting out of the country was a piece of pi$$ but getting back in with just a drivers licence was only a little bit more difficult. I'm not sure why I thought I didn't need my passport. The guy at the checkpoint was taking his time, probably debating on what to do, then he got a phone call - I think bosses were wondering why he had a long queue, and then he let me through; no paperwork to fill in.

fadeaway

1,414 posts

112 months

[news] 
Friday 23rd April 2010 quote quote all
Alex said:
It's not such a daft question. To travel to France, an EU citizen needs a passport OR valid ID card. Unfortunately, the only valid ID in the UK currently is a passport.
That's not true. The passport is not the only valid ID in the UK. We do not participate in the EU open-boarders programme, so enter or leave the UK you must have a valid passport.

The checking on the way out is lax, esp on eurostar and ferries, and there are processes to deal with people returning who have lost their passorts/had them stolen. But the answer to the OPs question is that you need your passport.
Reply to Topic