Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

bdr529

Original Poster:

3,300 posts

57 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
For reasons unknown to me, I've been told my E30 has been given a nice dousing of brake fluid/paintstripper. Unfortunately I'm 140 miles away at uni.
I don't have much idea into the damage that brake fluid can do, how long would it have to be on the car to cause an damage to the paint?
And what does the damage look like?

Needless to say, I am very pissed off. furious

Cheers


EFA

Edited by bdr529 on Sunday 23 May 23:04

kambites

39,581 posts

104 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
Seconds, I'm afraid.

Jonny671

27,655 posts

72 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
Its really, really not nice frown

My friends car was done over for some reason, she had it repainted and they done it again.

Do you really want to see pictures before you go home?

MrMoonyMan

1,994 posts

94 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
Oh dear. Bad I'm afraid.

Rich_W

5,270 posts

95 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
Get someone to hose the car thoroughly. (not blast) and don't rub it or attempt to chamois it dry. Might need to repeat a couple times. Fingers crossed.
Advertisement

bdr529

Original Poster:

3,300 posts

57 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
The paintwork is all bubbled up all over the bonnet, some has gone dripped down onto the arches.


How much would it cost to respray a bonnet?

Jonny671

27,655 posts

72 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
bdr529 said:
The paintwork is all bubbled up all over the bonnet, some has gone dripped down onto the arches.


How much would it cost to respray a bonnet?
Doesn't sound too bad, probably a few hundred quid.. Though it usually takes it right back to nothing.

Maybe see how much a new bonnet will be from a scrap yard?

My friends was done on every panel, and the soft top etc eek

bdr529

Original Poster:

3,300 posts

57 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all


Been sent this by a mate of mine who went to take a look

Dirty bds

Edited by bdr529 on Sunday 23 May 20:25

sidgolf

85 posts

73 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
try looking on ebay for a bonnet the same colour-i got one that matched the 20 year-old metallic paint on my car exactly,all for £20.

Deluded

4,189 posts

74 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
is this reaction limited to certain types of brake fluid

I once needed to strip the paint off of a bonnet but didn't have any paint stripper. I did, however, have some dot4 brake fluid so poured it on.

Expecting an instant reaction of bubbling paint, I was disappointed and left it to dwell. 30 mins later it still hadn't done anything so I went out and bought some Nitromorz instead.

Rich_W

5,270 posts

95 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
Deluded said:
is this reaction limited to certain types of brake fluid

I once needed to strip the paint off of a bonnet but didn't have any paint stripper. I did, however, have some dot4 brake fluid so poured it on.

Expecting an instant reaction of bubbling paint, I was disappointed and left it to dwell. 30 mins later it still hadn't done anything so I went out and bought some Nitromorz instead.
No to be honest, "generally" Brake fluid isn't "that" caustic anymore. I would suspect the E30 above has been paint stripper'ed not Brake fluid.

toxicnerve

7,455 posts

60 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
Whoever did that needs a bloody kicking. I'm angry for you OP!! mad

Hope they get what's coming to them.

bdr529

Original Poster:

3,300 posts

57 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
sidgolf said:
try looking on ebay for a bonnet the same colour-i got one that matched the 20 year-old metallic paint on my car exactly,all for £20.
No luck so far. frown Will keep an eye out.

bdr529

Original Poster:

3,300 posts

57 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
toxicnerve said:
Whoever did that needs a bloody kicking. I'm angry for you OP!! mad

Hope they get what's coming to them.
I will bide my time.


skyslimit

524 posts

55 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
Thats not brake fluid, thats stripper.

Modern brake fluid is very, very tame compared to the stuff of 20 years ago.

That reaction is classic nitromors. Some cowardly bd has took exception to you frown

ymwoods

1,855 posts

60 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd May 2010 quote quote all
Rich_W said:
Deluded said:
is this reaction limited to certain types of brake fluid

I once needed to strip the paint off of a bonnet but didn't have any paint stripper. I did, however, have some dot4 brake fluid so poured it on.

Expecting an instant reaction of bubbling paint, I was disappointed and left it to dwell. 30 mins later it still hadn't done anything so I went out and bought some Nitromorz instead.
No to be honest, "generally" Brake fluid isn't "that" caustic anymore. I would suspect the E30 above has been paint stripper'ed not Brake fluid.
My mates van was covered in Brake Fluid earlier this year, its left big yellowish (was a white van) blobs and dribbles all down the sides of the van but has not really "stripped" the paint work as such.

Was a shame as its a perfectly restored escort van, no rust or mess...atleaset was

bdr529

Original Poster:

3,300 posts

57 months

[news] 
Monday 24th May 2010 quote quote all
Yeah I figured it must have been stripper when I saw the photos. When I got told about what had happened to the car my mate said it was probably brake fluid. Apparently down my street about 10 other cars have got done.

I honestly believe corporal punishment should be bought back into force for these rotten wastes of life.

kambites

39,581 posts

104 months

[news] 
Monday 24th May 2010 quote quote all
skyslimit said:
Thats not brake fluid, thats stripper.

Modern brake fluid is very, very tame compared to the stuff of 20 years ago.

That reaction is classic nitromors. Some cowardly bd has took exception to you frown
Is it the fluid that's changed or the paint? I managed to get a single drip of modern brake fluid on my MGB's paint and it took it right back to the metal in seconds...

skyslimit

524 posts

55 months

[news] 
Monday 24th May 2010 quote quote all
kambites said:
skyslimit said:
Thats not brake fluid, thats stripper.

Modern brake fluid is very, very tame compared to the stuff of 20 years ago.

That reaction is classic nitromors. Some cowardly bd has took exception to you frown
Is it the fluid that's changed or the paint? I managed to get a single drip of modern brake fluid on my MGB's paint and it took it right back to the metal in seconds...
You raise a good point. Maybe a bodywork professional could set us straight? smile

Jim the Sunderer

1,025 posts

65 months

[news] 
Monday 24th May 2010 quote quote all
A bit off topic but I remember an episode of 'The Real Hustle' with that woman... they were in Spain or somewhere like that and as part of the con they sprayed a load of the stuff on some chap's nice alloy wheels and wheel arches.
2
Reply to Topic