Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Cartwheel

Original Poster:

316 posts

99 months

[news] 
Monday 27th September 2010 quote quote all
Hi all,

little help needed or some opinons on this: from cold at 30mph the clutch slips at about 5000 rpm in 3rd.

Is it possible that this is just the clutch springs gone soft or the cable needing some adjustment? Or is the clutch dead already? If it's just the springs is that DIY'able for a relatively inept rider (changed the Final Stage Resistor in my e46 but that's probably the most techinical thing I've done for a while!)?

For reference the bike is a well maintained '98 Fazer FZS 600 with 21k miles on the clock.

Thanks in advance smile

R1 Loon

18,933 posts

62 months

[news] 
Monday 27th September 2010 quote quote all
Cartwheel said:
Hi all,

little help needed or some opinons on this: from cold at 30mph the clutch slips at about 5000 rpm in 3rd.

Is it possible that this is just the clutch springs gone soft or the cable needing some adjustment? Or is the clutch dead already? If it's just the springs is that DIY'able for a relatively inept rider (changed the Final Stage Resistor in my e46 but that's probably the most techinical thing I've done for a while!)?

For reference the bike is a well maintained '98 Fazer FZS 600 with 21k miles on the clock.

Thanks in advance smile
I changed a clutch on the bike earlier this year.

You sound a hell of a lot more mechanically minded than me, as I didn't have a clue why it had springs (to be honest I still don't)

Biker's Nemesis

25,893 posts

93 months

[news] 
Monday 27th September 2010 quote quote all
Turn the adjuster inwards at the clutch lever, if that doesn't work you'll need a new clutch.

R1 Loon

18,933 posts

62 months

[news] 
Monday 27th September 2010 quote quote all
Biker's Nemesis said:
Turn the adjuster inwards at the clutch lever, if that doesn't work you'll need a new clutch.
That's another thing I learned this year

Cunny DK

825 posts

64 months

[news] 
Monday 27th September 2010 quote quote all
I watched loon change his clutch and have to admit it looks dead easy.
Advertisement

Fleegle

12,466 posts

61 months

[news] 
Monday 27th September 2010 quote quote all
Biker's Nemesis said:
Turn the adjuster inwards at the clutch lever, if that doesn't work you'll need a new clutch.
Failing that, lay the bike on its side and rip its heart out

Cartwheel

Original Poster:

316 posts

99 months

[news] 
Tuesday 28th September 2010 quote quote all
Biker's Nemesis said:
Turn the adjuster inwards at the clutch lever, if that doesn't work you'll need a new clutch.
Will try this, prior to Fleegle's suggestion biggrin

So no-one thinks it's the springs then? 21k miles is a bit low to have the clutch go, Shirley?

twizellb

1,867 posts

97 months

[news] 
Tuesday 28th September 2010 quote quote all
If you can find out how long your springs should be, you will be able to tell if they are shot, as there will be a minimum serviceable length.
If your springs measure less then they are shagged.
Having the same problem with my Mille at the moment but it has the added complication of a hydrualic clutch.

davethebunny

706 posts

60 months

[news] 
Tuesday 28th September 2010 quote quote all
clutch change is an easy job on a bike.

Lay it over on it's side, undo the clutch cover, undo the bolts, take out the springs, pull out the metal and cork plates, and put the new ones in, and reassemble.

Soak the corks in oil overnight beforehand.

If it's a cable clutch, you'll need to adjust it after installing the new plates.

If you've been slipping it a lot, you'll probably need the steel plates as well. Price up a clutch kit, they're not expensive and come with replacement springs. FWIW i would not go to the trouble of taking it all apart just to measure the springs, and then having to reassemble it whilst you wait for new ones, and then have to repeat the procedure to change them.

Fleegle

12,466 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 28th September 2010 quote quote all
davethebunny said:
clutch change is an easy job on a bike.

Lay it over on it's side,
like so...


C8PPO

7,751 posts

88 months

[news] 
Tuesday 28th September 2010 quote quote all
twizellb said:
If you can find out how long your springs should be, you will be able to tell if they are shot, as there will be a minimum serviceable length.
If your springs measure less then they are shagged.
Having the same problem with my Mille at the moment but it has the added complication of a hydrualic clutch.
Why would changing the springs (or indeed the whole clutch) be any more difficult with a hydraulic clutch? Easier, in fact - no adjustments to make afterwards?

Toyless

10,845 posts

106 months

[news] 
Tuesday 28th September 2010 quote quote all
Don't forget to order a new clutcj cover gasket too.

twizellb

1,867 posts

97 months

[news] 
Tuesday 28th September 2010 quote quote all
C8PPO said:
twizellb said:
If you can find out how long your springs should be, you will be able to tell if they are shot, as there will be a minimum serviceable length.
If your springs measure less then they are shagged.
Having the same problem with my Mille at the moment but it has the added complication of a hydrualic clutch.
Why would changing the springs (or indeed the whole clutch) be any more difficult with a hydraulic clutch? Easier, in fact - no adjustments to make afterwards?
Really!
Have just fitted a 'Barnett' clutch to mine after having it slip above 8.5k, only to find it's slipping worserolleyes
Never mentioned it being more difficult to change the springs.
The 'added complication' is the slave cylinder and the master cylinder;)

Edited by twizellb on Tuesday 28th September 17:36

Cartwheel

Original Poster:

316 posts

99 months

[news] 
Tuesday 28th September 2010 quote quote all
scratchchin

Thanks all, perhaps I'll have a pop at changing the clutch myself and will report back accordingly...

smash






Edited for lame euro english got to pop back for a visit and relearn how to spik propa likes innit...

Edited by Cartwheel on Tuesday 28th September 21:22

R1 Loon

18,933 posts

62 months

[news] 
Wednesday 29th September 2010 quote quote all
Cunny DK said:
I watched loon change his clutch and have to admit it looks dead easy.
Shhhhh, I was trying to impress people with my mechanical prowess.whistle

Cunny DK

825 posts

64 months

[news] 
Wednesday 29th September 2010 quote quote all
R1 Loon said:
Cunny DK said:
I watched loon change his clutch and have to admit it looks dead easy.
Shhhhh, I was trying to impress people with my mechanical prowess.whistle
I know, that's why I played along. Now you've let the cat out of the bag biggrin

R1 Loon

18,933 posts

62 months

[news] 
Wednesday 29th September 2010 quote quote all
Cunny DK said:
R1 Loon said:
Cunny DK said:
I watched loon change his clutch and have to admit it looks dead easy.
Shhhhh, I was trying to impress people with my mechanical prowess.whistle
I know, that's why I played along. Now you've let the cat out of the bag biggrin
Double bluff, double bluff. I'm awesome with mechanical things n stuff.

Hooli

27,648 posts

85 months

[news] 
Wednesday 29th September 2010 quote quote all
What oil is in the bike?
Fully synth or car oil can occasionally cause clutch slip. Car oil is a more common cause, synth oil will only cause it if the clutch is worn.

I'd be tempted to try fresh bike oil before swopping out a clutch.

Fleegle

12,466 posts

61 months

[news] 
Thursday 30th September 2010 quote quote all
You might want to try 5% LESS THAN THE MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDS AS WELL IF YOU ARE A BIT HEAVY

dONT' you just hate caps lock when you have sossige fingers

smack

8,759 posts

76 months

[news] 
Thursday 30th September 2010 quote quote all
Fleegle said:
davethebunny said:
clutch change is an easy job on a bike.

Lay it over on it's side,
like so...

I used that trick when I had to fix the engine cover on Tori's bike. She freaked when I sent her the photo of it!
2
Reply to Topic