Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

ctid

Original Poster:

190 posts

69 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
I've just bought a new car but am still in the process of selling my old one. I've switched my insurance policy over and my old car is sat on my drive taxed but not insured.

When I was switching the policy over, the guy on the end of the phone warned me that the DVLA now fine you if your car is taxed but not insured? Do I have to cash in the tax and declare it SORN? I'm hoping to have it sold in the next couple of weeks and declaring it SORN would complicate things somewhat.

Cheers for any advice

SplatSpeed

7,271 posts

137 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
ctid said:
I've just bought a new car but am still in the process of selling my old one. I've switched my insurance policy over and my old car is sat on my drive taxed but not insured.

When I was switching the policy over, the guy on the end of the phone warned me that the DVLA now fine you if your car is taxed but not insured? Do I have to cash in the tax and declare it SORN? I'm hoping to have it sold in the next couple of weeks and declaring it SORN would complicate things somewhat.

Cheers for any advice
why am i not surprised

marshalla

10,869 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
Continuous Insurance is not in force yet : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicl...

ctid

Original Poster:

190 posts

69 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
Thanks for that thumbup

SplatSpeed

7,271 posts

137 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
it beggars belief

how on earth can new laws help this!

you are just punishing people who follow the rules and keep a car off road!

more stupid buearocracy with which to punish people!furious
Advertisement

saaby93

13,043 posts

64 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
ctid said:
When I was switching the policy over, the guy on the end of the phone warned me that the DVLA now fine you if your car is taxed but not insured?
Without naming and shaming how do we find out which insurer is giving out such useful information?

BertBert

8,267 posts

97 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
It's not naming and shaming. It's the report of a conversation with an insurer.
Bert

Carpie

1,101 posts

81 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
This is the first time I've heard of 'continuous insurance'.

How ridiculous. I've recently moved my insurance policy to a new car, whilst my MR2 is sat on my driveway (ie. off the road) with Tax and MOT but no insurance. Obviously, I have not used it in this time as it is not road legal. Why on earth does it need to have insurance when I've decided to stop using it and the tax happens to be valid for a few months.

According to the Directgov link above I could have it seized and destroyed under the new laws.

Utterly utterly stupid. I don't usually bother with things like this but I'm going to write a letter because it's one of the most ludicrous and ill thought out plans I've heard in a long time.

streaky

19,311 posts

135 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
Being introduced to comply fully with EU Directive - blame Brussels.

Streaky

BertBert

8,267 posts

97 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
It's utterly stupid, however it's not that bad as I read it. YOu just have to sorn to avoid the continuous insurance requirement.
Bert

Shuvi Tupya

17,868 posts

133 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
BertBert said:
It's utterly stupid, however it's not that bad as I read it. YOu just have to sorn to avoid the continuous insurance requirement.
Bert
But then you can't phone up and get insurance to drive the car because it is sorned.

So much for using your occasional car on the spur of the moment frown


Carpie

1,101 posts

81 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
BertBert said:
It's utterly stupid, however it's not that bad as I read it. YOu just have to sorn to avoid the continuous insurance requirement.
Bert
What if I decide to sell the A4 I've transferred my insurance on to in a few weeks and want to move my insurance policy back to covering the MR2 again? It'll be declared SORN with no tax, then I will have mess about taxing it again.

So, there's three requirements for driving a car legally:

1. MOT - Yearly check of roadworthiness and safety.

2. Tax - Paid yearly and is in effect paying for the right to use the road.

3. Insurance - In case you cause damage to a person or a vehicle, they are guaranteed compensation.

They are paid separately and satisfy separate requirements. Why on earth do they all need to be interlinked to each other? What's the problem with having a car sitting on someone's driveway which satisfies only one or two of the three? As long as it's not driven and is on private land, there's no problem whatsoever.

saaby93

13,043 posts

64 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
BertBert said:
It's utterly stupid, however it's not that bad as I read it. YOu just have to sorn to avoid the continuous insurance requirement.
Bert
It is just as bad as you read it and we had this disussion afew months back wink
It means that every classic car owner who tax their car all year round ( for many its free) but insure it when ever they feel like taking it out for a few days, will now have to go through the palava of Sorning/unSorning. Guess how many days/months at a time you can do that for?
Instead it will be easier for them to pop out uninsured & untaxed.

marshalla

10,869 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
saaby93 said:
BertBert said:
It's utterly stupid, however it's not that bad as I read it. YOu just have to sorn to avoid the continuous insurance requirement.
Bert
It is just as bad as you read it and we had this disussion afew months back wink
It means that every classic car owner who tax their car all year round ( for many its free) but insure it when ever they feel like taking it out for a few days, will now have to go through the palava of Sorning/unSorning. Guess how many days/months at a time you can do that for?
Instead it will be easier for them to pop out uninsured & untaxed.
or for the industry to create a new type of classic policy with day limits as well as mileage limits ?

saaby93

13,043 posts

64 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
marshalla said:
or for the industry to create a new type of classic policy with day limits as well as mileage limits ?
How will they check that?

marshalla

10,869 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
saaby93 said:
marshalla said:
or for the industry to create a new type of classic policy with day limits as well as mileage limits ?
How will they check that?
I just come up with the ideas...

ctid

Original Poster:

190 posts

69 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
saaby93 said:
ctid said:
When I was switching the policy over, the guy on the end of the phone warned me that the DVLA now fine you if your car is taxed but not insured?
Without naming and shaming how do we find out which insurer is giving out such useful information?
It was my broker rather than my insurance company. He was just advising I check it out rather than saying it was gospel smile He was just trying to be helpful!

shovelheadrob

1,084 posts

57 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
saaby93 said:
marshalla said:
or for the industry to create a new type of classic policy with day limits as well as mileage limits ?
How will they check that?
In theory they could use the same technology that I believe is used for some young drivers, a black box in the car which records when & where the vehicle is used. (George Orwell must be PHSL now)

saaby93

13,043 posts

64 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
shovelheadrob said:
In theory they could use the same technology that I believe is used for some young drivers, a black box in the car which records when & where the vehicle is used. (George Orwell must be PHSL now)
How quickly do you think the average classic car owner would take to find it and attach it to a useful stationary object?
EFA

Edited by saaby93 on Tuesday 16th November 19:06

Shuvi Tupya

17,868 posts

133 months

[news] 
Tuesday 16th November 2010 quote quote all
saaby93 said:
shovelheadrob said:
In theory they could use the same technology that I believe is used for some young drivers, a black box in the car which records when & where the vehicle is used. (George Orwell must be PHSL now)
How quickly do you think the average classic car owner would take to find it and switch it off?
it will be linked into the other systems too, if your car is seen on the road by a camera, and the black box is not activated. Another fine will be coming your way.


2
Reply to Topic