PistonHeads.com Forum

BMW Business Satnav...perspective display?

BMW Business Satnav...perspective display?

Author
Discussion

Hard-Drive

Original Poster:

2,651 posts

137 months

Wednesday 20th April 2011
quotequote all
Just sat in my new car (2008 E91 320d M Sport) trying to work out how the iDrive works, and even gave up and read the instructions...outrageous!

According to the book, I can cycle between North up, Track up, and behind the car/perspective views. However my display only has the North up/Track up options.

Am I missing something or is that it on the Business satnav?

PS Either way it's rubbish compared to my TomTom Via 140?

6BMW

1,760 posts

115 months

Wednesday 20th April 2011
quotequote all
Businss sat nav's only have arrow displays + Voice. It's the professional Navigation system that has the maps and voice.

If you have the professional you can get the perspective view through the idrive Navigation view menu.

Jobbo

10,744 posts

172 months

Wednesday 20th April 2011
quotequote all
6BMW said:
Businss sat nav's only have arrow displays + Voice. It's the professional Navigation system that has the maps and voice.
Is that still the case? Certainly the F10 5-series has a map display for either nav option; I thought the same was true for the facelifted E90 3-series?

Hard-Drive

Original Poster:

2,651 posts

137 months

Wednesday 20th April 2011
quotequote all
Car is an E91, it's the later 177bhp with efficient dynamics and all that, but it's the older shape...flat bonnet without the additional creases in them if that makes sense.

It's a Business, not Professional system, and yes it defintely has maps, I'm just t rying to get away from the top-down view.

Cheers

Fox-

12,202 posts

154 months

Wednesday 20th April 2011
quotequote all
6BMW said:
Businss sat nav's only have arrow displays + Voice. It's the professional Navigation system that has the maps and voice.
Not true - Business from the 2007 on iDrive refresh has maps as well.
Advertisement

6BMW

1,760 posts

115 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
Ok I stand corrected..so whats the difference between business and pro nav now on the newer cars? The difference used to be the maps?

Magnus Barelegs

106 posts

69 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
Here's some of the advantages of professional, as I understand it.
I have professional in my 2010 320D efficient dynamics.

1/ 3D maps with buildings etc.
2/ Split screen function, so one side doing nav and other side doing radio/Mp3.
3/ Widescreen map

There may be more.

Fox-

12,202 posts

154 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
6BMW said:
Ok I stand corrected..so whats the difference between business and pro nav now on the newer cars? The difference used to be the maps?
The main difference is that Business nav has a smaller screen - which cuts off the split screen option. There is also no perspective view.

Magnus Barelegs

106 posts

69 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
Here's a couple of photos of my professional unit.
One shows the high-def Google Earth style images you can get, at 1 mile or higher.
The other shows how you can split screen between satnav and MP3 album art.
Apologies for quality, the sun was streaming in the windscreen!






scoobytc

67 posts

70 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
That looks great how would i get that on an 07 e92? is it a software thing

Magnus Barelegs

106 posts

69 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
scoobytc said:
That looks great how would i get that on an 07 e92? is it a software thing
I've got no idea about how you'd get the high-def maps onto an '07 professional unit, sorry.
With regard to the album art, that comes with the USB audio option in the centre armrest.
Provided the album art is tagged onto tracks when you put them on the USB stick, they will appear on the screen.
And it is very cool.

scoobytc

67 posts

70 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
ahh found it,its only available on cars with the CIC pro nav fitted to cars manufactured from sept 2008 onwards.....bugger it looks quite cool

Magnus Barelegs

106 posts

69 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
Wouldn't you be able to fit the post 2008 pro satnav into your older car?
Maybe buy a newer unit from a breaker/ebay?



Edited by Magnus Barelegs on Thursday 21st April 16:08

scoobytc

67 posts

70 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
probably but its a lot of hassle for a 3d map tbh

Magnus Barelegs

106 posts

69 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
I have to say, purely based on satnav performance the pro is rubbish.
For example, I had it on from Aberdeen to Wigan the other day.
Somewhere around the borders, it suddenly told me to turn left off the motorway and take the second exit off a little roundabout.
Which would just have taken me back onto the motorway I was on already!
A completely needless/pointless little diversion that made no sense at all.
It's not a new motorway either, it's been like this for years.
And previous Tomtom/Garmin/Snooper units I've used didn't make the same mistake.
And it's rather embarrassing when friends know it cost £2000....

gizlaroc

8,815 posts

132 months

Thursday 21st April 2011
quotequote all
I had 3 Garmins that always did that, most annoying.

Never had it on the BMW nav though.

crolandc

244 posts

104 months

Saturday 23rd April 2011
quotequote all
My tom tom does that going north from Man airport!

BMWBen

3,932 posts

109 months

Saturday 23rd April 2011
quotequote all
Magnus Barelegs said:
I have to say, purely based on satnav performance the pro is rubbish.
For example, I had it on from Aberdeen to Wigan the other day.
Somewhere around the borders, it suddenly told me to turn left off the motorway and take the second exit off a little roundabout.
Which would just have taken me back onto the motorway I was on already!
A completely needless/pointless little diversion that made no sense at all.
It's not a new motorway either, it's been like this for years.
And previous Tomtom/Garmin/Snooper units I've used didn't make the same mistake.
And it's rather embarrassing when friends know it cost £2000....
smile my BMW pro nav does that exact same thing at that junction!