As such PistonHeads is proud to announce a competition in collaboration with Corgi to give away seven special die-cast cars to some very lucky PHers.
All the cars are part of the Vanguards collection, a 1:43 scale range comprising road models, emergency services vehicles, commercial and motorsport cars. Every Vanguards edition comes with a history of the specific car, a certificate of authenticity and a plastic display case. Perfect for displacing a few unwanted Christmas cards...
The cars Corgi has given PH will undoubtedly be familiar, but here's some info on the seven:
- A Ford Capri 280 Brooklands, a recreation of the last Capri ever built. Just 1,038 were made, all featuring a limited-slip differential, leather seats and that iconic Brooklands Green paint
- A Vauxhall Astra with a monster engine, an unruly character and huge performance is not unique to the VXR brand. The Astra GTE 16V was the original Luton wild child, characterised by its rabid performance and quirky digital dash. The Vanguards competition model is Steel Grey.
- Like the modern-day equivalent, the Golf GTI was always the antithesis to a fast Vauxhall; smooth, refined and classy. The Vanguards car is a 1.8-litre Mk1 in Alpine White, perhaps the best engine/colour combo for the original GTI.
- The Mk3 Vauxhall Cavalier SRI Vanguards model will bring back many fond memories for PHers of a certain age. The wheels emblazoned with a griffin, the red pinstripe on the bumpers and the SRI badges are all faithfully recreated.
- The Vauxhall Nova was the car to modify in the 1990s and few unmolested examples now remain. The Vanguards car is a detailed model of the 1.3 SR, the fastest Nova until the 1988 GTE. Perhaps the only small hatch to ever look good on three-spoke wheels, the Vanguards Nova SR is Jamaica Yellow.
- Every family has had a big Ford at some point, right? The Vanguards Granada should rekindle all those childhood journeys sat in the back seat, off on summer holidays with the window handle providing the climate control. The Mk2 introduced the Cologne V6s to the Granada. Vanguards has given PH a 2.3 in Highland Green as a competition prize and it is Garlick's favourite.
- What hasn't been said about the Peugeot 205 GTI by now? So memorable Peugeot is still struggling to replace it 20 years later, the 205 is one of the legendary hot hatches. Vanguards has modelled its version on the most powerful 1.9 GTI, and is painted in Cherry Red.
To be in with a chance of winning one of the Vanguards models, please send your name, address and contact telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday this Friday (November 16).
Your email needs to have 'Corgi' in the subject line also. Should you be one of the fortunate seven, your model will be randomly allocated; Christmas lists to PH with your favourite at the top will not influence the decision!