FERRARI 250GT PF
The Ferrari 250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina was a GT car produced by Ferrari in 1958–1960. It features a brand new body compared to its predecessors and virtually identical mechanical layout. All this with a goal of greatly increasing production output. It was the first semi-series produced Ferrari model to date. Carrozzeria Pinin Farina was in cooperation with Ferrari as a coachbuilder since 1952. From that time only small bodywork orders were realized. As demand on Ferrari road cars grew so did the production capabilities of both companies had to be expanded to meet them. Unable to fulfill a large contract Pinin Farina decided to build a brand new factory in Grugliasco, on the outskirts of Turin. After the subcontract of Boano and Ellena ended by 1958, Pinin Farina was ready with a new Coupé design and a new factory to increase body production. The Ferrari 250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina would be the largest volume Ferrari model up to that time. The change from an artisan-type construction to a semi-industrialised type meant that the car's shape had to be designed with greater simplicity of body production. Initially, two or three prototypes were constructed with panoramic rear window, a shape that was well established in Pinin Farina style, and very slight kick-up fenders. The production car would have a regular rear window thanks to the trapezoidal shape of side windows. Front of the car was long and flat with a wide grille, a far evolution from the dominant ’egg-crate’ style of Europa GT. Because of the lower front bonett the optical groups protruded more distinctly. Side flanks were flat and undisturbed only divided vertically by a dihedral line. The fastback profile of the predecessors was replaced with a ‘notch back’ style. The simplistic design was accented by a lack of additional ornamentation. Overall the design was commended for being well proportioned. Ferrari 250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina. An example without a hood scoop.
The new design was first shown to the press in June 1958, and later launched at the Paris Motor Show, in October the same year. Before that it was secretly entered in concours d’elegance in Antibes. Throughout the production run of the Pinin Farina Coupé, the Colombo V12 engine received numerous upgrades. The original type 128C with a single distributor and an 'inside plug' was updated to twin distributor type 128D, still with an 'inside plug' and siamese inlet ports. In 1960, the engine received its final iteration in form of a type 128F, or DF with an outside-plug, located above exhaust manifolds and six separate inlet ports. Fuel was fed by three 36DCZ3 Weber carburettors. Some were later upgraded to type type 40DCL6. Maximum power was still rated at 240 PS (237 hp).
- AspirationNormally Aspirated
- Body typeCoupe
Reference #11812226 | Trade advert