Believed to be 1 of 6 Long Wing Tourers
Engine recently rebuilt by Tim Walker Restorations
Fitted with Tim Payne overdrive
With registration CG 4871, this Alvis Speed 20 was first registered on July the 1st 1933, by Scotts of Southampton. It carries the very elegant ‘long-wing’ touring body by Cross and Ellis, believed to be 1 of 6 ever made. From 1968, CG 4871 went on to spend a number of years in the USA under ownership of the renowned Triumph Motorcycle man Rod Coates, who started the rebuild but – due to the onset of Alzheimer’s disease – could not finish the project. It was eventually sold in 1984 to “Mac” McGrady, a keen collector of Nash Healeys (amongst other vehicles), who owned the car until 1995. It then passed through two other owners before the current owner acquired it in 2001.
The current owner had this Alvis Speed 20 comprehensively mechanically rebuilt by Earley Engineering, after which it was completely stripped down to the bare chassis and had a full frame and body rebuild by Tim Hastings and Brian Martin, artisans located at the world famous Old Vicarage in South Stoke, Oxfordshire. There is a large file of photos provided with the car that show how thoroughly and beautifully they completed the rebuild.
In 2014 this Alsiv Speed 20 was sold to the current owner who was intent on the car being absolutely perfect, and as a result, the engine was completely rebuilt by renowned marque specialists, Tim Walker Restorations. The brakes were also stripped and rebuilt with specialist brake shoes using a modern compound for more effective braking performance. The steering was also removed and rebuilt.
The owner at the time was very keen to use the car for touring and a bespoke overdrive unit was made and fitted by Tim Payne Overdrives. After some very happy motoring the owner has decided to focus his collection more on Post-War cars and has asked Cotswold Collectors Cars to find her a new home. This really is a beautiful example of a hugely underrated and undervalued Pre-War sports car and is ideal for touring and rallies, or perhaps just a trip to the pub!
Reference #9411430 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- LayoutFront Engined
- AspirationNormally Aspirated
- Top speed-
- Driven Wheels-
- Body typeConvertible
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
PistonHeads members who have owned this car or the same model
Time to sell your car?
Wanting to sell your car? PistonHeads can help you get the best price and that quick sale. Try one of our selling tools today.
Contact The Classic Motor Hub
- Used cars in Bristol (1124)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1222)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1221)
- Used cars in Derby (1175)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1313)
- Used cars in Leeds (1493)
- Used cars in Leicester (1160)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1188)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1443)
- Used cars in Reading (1163)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1066)
- Used cars in East Midlands (7954)
- Used cars in East of England (10593)
- Used cars in London (3216)
- Used cars in North East (4630)
- Used cars in North West (9852)
- Used cars in Scotland (5731)
- Used cars in South East (12999)
- Used cars in South West (6757)
- Used cars in Wales (4722)
- Used cars in West Midlands (8706)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (10073)
No recent searches