Factory records show that this incredibly rare DB4 was returned to Aston Martin on several occasions for servicing and various works up to September 1980 when it was purchased by a gentleman from mainland Europe who then dry stored the car for over 35 years.
Reference Number AW250516
Make Aston Martin
Drive Side left
Odometer reading 19262
Exterior Colour Atlantic Blue
Interior Colour Red
In 1955, Aston Martin initiated a programme for a new replacement for the DB2/4
Development of the all-new DB4 started with a prototype, DP 114, completed early in 1956. Unimpressed by the original styling, Aston Martin thought that the new car should be entrusted to an external styling house.
Following a tour of the Italian stylists and designers, John Wyer and David Brown both agreed that the design of the new
DB4 should be entrusted to the Italians. Aston Martin favoured fabricating bodies in aluminium, and having been particularly impressed by the Superleggera concept of body design, decided that the styling of the DB4 should be given to Touring of Milan. This necessitated a platform chassis, with a trellis of small diameter tubes and channel frames for the main openings, around which the aluminium panels could be clenched. Harold Beach designed and then ensured fabrication of a prototype chassis in the remarkably small timescale of 10 weeks, and this was duly dispatched to Touring, in late 1956.
The DB4 was first shown to the public at the Paris Motor Show in the Autumn of 1958 to universal acclaim, and (the DB4) was duly launched into production.
The DB4 Series 1 captured the essence of Aston Martin, clothing it in a light, airy, crisp, perfectly proportioned body.
This incredibly original, Geneva show car was the 5th DB4 Series 1 to be built and the second factory demonstrator - Chassis No. DB4/105/L.
First registered in March 1959 when it was sold to Mr Hubert Pathey of Switzerland with the registration number GF9282 which it still retains today, having covered only 31,000 kms!
Hubert Pathey and Aston Martin have a rich history, Hubert being Aston Martin’s Swiss distributor and also a racing driver who the year before in 1958 had completed the Le Mans 24hr in an AC Ace (he was also AC distributor) and then in April 1959 competed again with an Aston Martin DB4 GT coming 7th in practice, however failed to finish with engine trouble.
DB4 005 was used in 1959 as the Geneva Motor show car and created a sensation and is one of only 150 Series 1 cars of which only 67 were LHD, and because it is among the first 50 it also features frameless rear side windows, a very rare and very desirable classic Aston indeed.
According to the manufacturers build sheet the car was originally finished in Snow Shadow Grey (ICI 2317) with Dark Red Connolly hide.
DB4 005 Series 1 ORIGINAL FEATURES;
• Gearbox with optional 3.31:1
• Eggbox grill
• No overriders on the bumpers
• Rear hinged bonnet
• 16 inch wheels
• Cathedral rear lights
• Frameless side windows
• Dash ash tray
• 3 demisters on dash
• Bonnet release on RHS
• Originally fitted with HMV 400T radio, since removed
• KPH speedometer
• Smith rev counter redline 6,000 rpm
• 19,262 miles
• Weight of 1,311 kg (vs series 2 at 1,362)
It comes as a project, a blank canvas, to be restored as original or to your specification? As one of the foremost specialists in this field we can help, advise, guide and manage every step of the way!
NOTE: The price of £499,950 is for the DB4 "as is" and excludes restoration, the price including the cost of restoration is £899,950.
As the name suggests, this is a tailor-made restoration to the client's exact specification, therefore a 50% deposit will be required before commencement.
View this vehicle on our website
Reference #5808674 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- Top speed-
- Driven Wheels-
- Body typeCoupe
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
PistonHeads members who have owned this car or the same model
Road Tests & Reviews
Time to sell your car?
Wanting to sell your car? PistonHeads can help you get the best price and that quick sale. Try one of our selling tools today.
Contact Aston Workshop
- Used Aston Martin in Chester le Street (1)
- Used Aston Martin in Hexham (2)
- Used Aston Martin in Stanley (25)
- Used Aston Martin in Sunderland (4)
- Used Aston Martin in Wallsend (28)
- Used cars in Bristol (1119)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1294)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1218)
- Used cars in Derby (1185)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1303)
- Used cars in Leeds (1489)
- Used cars in Leicester (1183)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1207)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1471)
- Used cars in Reading (1157)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1071)
- Used cars in East Midlands (8038)
- Used cars in East of England (10643)
- Used cars in London (3237)
- Used cars in North East (4554)
- Used cars in North West (9722)
- Used cars in Scotland (5802)
- Used cars in South East (13135)
- Used cars in South West (6740)
- Used cars in Wales (4737)
- Used cars in West Midlands (8788)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (9822)
No recent searches