Emphasising its racing heritage, Bentley Motors unveiled the new Arnage in April 1998 at Le Sarthe circuit, home of the Le Mans 24-Hour Race and scene of its greatest triumphs in the 1920s.
Bentley, together with parent company Rolls-Royce Motors, was in collaboration with BMW at this time, and the Arnage was the first Bentley to benefit from the Munich firm’s engine technology in the form of an all-new 4.4-litre 32-valve twin-turbocharged V8 power unit. However, Bentley’s subsequent acquisition by Volkswagen resulted in a partial volte face, with the ‘old’ 6.75-litre push-rod V8 being reintroduced on some models, beginning with the Arnage Red Label that debuted at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1999.
The BMW-engined car lived on as the Green Label, while the Red Label version boasted redesigned front suspension to cope with the heavier ‘big block’ engine, together with brakes of increased diameter. In addition, subtle alterations were made to the interior, resulting in 2 inches more legroom for rear seat passengers, while features that had previously been ‘extras’ (power-fold door mirrors, for example) were included as standard. Despite its older and simpler engine design, the Arnage Red Label amply demonstrated the truth of the old saying: ‘there’s no substitute for cubic inches‘, by comfortably eclipsing its more-modern sibling in the horsepower stakes, producing 420bhp to the Green Label’s 350. The larger engine’s stupendous torque, available from idling speed upwards, made the Green Label’s five-speed automatic transmission superfluous, so the Red Label reverted to a four-speed auto ’box.
In March 2002, a heavily revised version - the Arnage R - was introduced at the Geneva Salon, replacing the Arnage Red Label. Gone was the original’s single Garrett T4 turbocharger, which had been replaced by a pair of smaller T3s providing superior throttle response and higher catalytic converter temperatures for reduced emissions. Also new was the Bosch Motronic engine management system, a state-of-the-art means of integrating all the usual functions with an increased number of other variables to provide an ‘Electronic Stability Program’ (ESP) - an advanced form of traction control. Maximum power was now 405bhp and the top speed 155mph.
The vehicle offered is a stunning example of the amazing Bentley Arnage which is credit to its last owner.
Finished in Burgundy Metallic Paint with a Magnolia Leather Interior.
Huge service history with plenty of paperwork from Bentley dealers and ourselves here at Stratton Motor Company.
Only 42064 miles from new.
Excellent condition throughout with a fantastic specification.
This is a must see Bentley that truly personifies the Bentley brand.
Call for more details.
Stratton Motor Company serving you since 1972.
Reference #10194902 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- LayoutFront Engined
- Size6,800 cc
- Power400 bhp
- Torque616 lbs/ft
- Top speed160 mph
- Acceleration0 to 62 in 5.9 secs
- Driven WheelsRear Wheel Drive
- Economy13.7 mpg
- Body typeSaloon
- Emissions495 (g/km)
- Vehicle height1,515 mm
- Vehicle width1,932 mm
Previous Owners 2
PistonHeads members who have owned this car or the same model
- Used Bentley in Braintree (6)
- Used Bentley in Chelmsford (23)
- Used Bentley in Colchester (3)
- Used Bentley in Grays (40)
- Used Bentley in Harlow (4)
- Used Bentley in Hatfield (2)
- Used Bentley in Ipswich (2)
- Used Bentley in Peterborough (9)
- Used Bentley in Romford (24)
- Used Bentley in St Albans (5)
- Used Bentley in Wickford (4)
- Used cars in Bedford (1098)
- Used cars in Bristol (1390)
- Used cars in Bury (1035)
- Used cars in Cambridge (1026)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1436)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1558)
- Used cars in Derby (1096)
- Used cars in Leeds (1443)
- Used cars in Leicester (1356)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1431)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1454)
- Used cars in East Midlands (9550)
- Used cars in East of England (14719)
- Used cars in London (4934)
- Used cars in North East (3947)
- Used cars in North West (12384)
- Used cars in Scotland (5650)
- Used cars in South East (15946)
- Used cars in South West (7971)
- Used cars in Wales (4773)
- Used cars in West Midlands (7766)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (10906)
No recent searches