Ferrari revealed the 250 GT Berlinetta ‘Lusso’ at the Paris Motor show in 1962; a model that was positioned between Ferrari’s more overtly racing models and up-market luxury offerings. With Lusso translating to Luxury, the 250 GT/L was still fundamentally a Ferrari V12 sports car, but with certain concessions made for driving comfort.
As was the tradition at the time, the 250 GT/L was designed by Pininfarina and bodied by Carrozzeria Scaglietti. Although remaining a ‘two-seat GT coupe,’ the cabin on the 250 GT/L was more spacious than the 250 GT Coupe that it replaced, with increased passenger and luggage space.
Sharing the ‘shorter’ wheelbase of the 250 SWB, as opposed to that of the 250 GT/E 2+2, the Lusso was powered by the infamous 3-litre Colombo V12 engine, producing 240 bhp and powering the stunning body to 150 mph. Mechanically, the 250 GT/L shared components with all of the current Ferrari range, including the 250 SWB, 250 GT/E and even the 250 GTO.
The 250 GT/L was only manufactured for 18 months, from early ’63 to mid ’64, with just 350 examples being produced in that time. Being the last representative of the Ferrari 250 model, beginning in 1952 with the 250 S, the end of the production of the Lusso started the beginning of a new generation of Ferraris of increased luxury and refinement with the 275 and 330 models.
Ferrari 250 GT/L chassis #5231 GT was the 176th car built of the 350 cars produced and supplied new to the US market. As confirmed by the Massini report that we have on file, the car was supplied new in the stunning combination of Grigio Argento over Nero, the colourway that it still wears today.
The car benefits from a comprehensive history file which includes early documentation from a Candy Poole’s Sports Car Shop of Glastonbury, CT showing the owner as a Mr. Charles Anthony. Mr Anthony owned the car from around 1970 to 1976 before placing an advertisement in Road & Track Magazine where he sold the car to a man named Mr. Bill Harrison.
The car was thoroughly and frequently enjoyed by Mr Harrison who commuted to New York City and had the car regularly maintained by his trusted garage, The Stable Limited of Gladstone, NJ. In 1978, the Lusso was then sold on behalf of Mr. Harrison by The Stable Limited to a Mr. Paul G. Rochmis of Annandale, VA for $6,750. Mr. Rochmis would enjoy the vehicle until it was then sold again to its next owner in 1985 via the Stable Limited.
The 250 Lusso’s keeper at this time owned the car for 30 years (a father-son ownership within the motor trade), and during this tenure, again it was regularly enjoyed and diligently maintained. The keeper made the decision to have a colour change to Rosso Corsa in 1986 and upon having the car stripped down it was carefully checked over. The report stated that it had never rusted nor never been severely hit.
In 2015 the car was then sold to its current owner whom had the car shipped over from the States and commissioned Marque specialist Bob Houghton, a reputable name among Ferrari to carry out a comprehensive nut and bolt restoration. Accompanied with the Lusso’s large history file is a detailed section dedicated to extensive restoration works, with countless invoices, email correspondence screenshots with progress updates, photographs and much more.
Still regarded as one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever made, the 250 GT/L benefitted from 10 years of development and refinement to create the ultimate road-going 250. Immediately adored by the motoring press, the Lusso is widely regarded as one of the finest GT cars in history, with this extremely well-documented and beautifully restored example still complete with matching engine, gearbox and chassis one of the finest available today.
Reference #9627486 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- Top speed-
- Driven Wheels-
- Body typeCoupe
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
- Used Ferrari in Ashford (31)
- Used Ferrari in Banstead (16)
- Used Ferrari in Cranbrook (10)
- Used Ferrari in Egham (33)
- Used Ferrari in Guildford (25)
- Used Ferrari in High Wycombe (43)
- Used Ferrari in Hindhead (16)
- Used Ferrari in Horsham (30)
- Used Ferrari in Longfield (19)
- Used Ferrari in Lyndhurst (43)
- Used Ferrari in Maidstone (18)
- Used cars in Bedford (1230)
- Used cars in Bury (1349)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1799)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1485)
- Used cars in Derby (1306)
- Used cars in Leeds (1598)
- Used cars in Leicester (1707)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1597)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1996)
- Used cars in Reading (1233)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1221)
- Used cars in East Midlands (11653)
- Used cars in East of England (15443)
- Used cars in London (5533)
- Used cars in North East (4476)
- Used cars in North West (14308)
- Used cars in Scotland (6492)
- Used cars in South East (17199)
- Used cars in South West (8432)
- Used cars in Wales (5097)
- Used cars in West Midlands (8460)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (12394)
No recent searches