Legendary Jaguar supercar
One of only 281 produced
Formerly part of the world’s foremost supercar collection
Just 4,003 km (2,487 miles) from new
U.S. EPA/DOT certified
The mid-engine XJ220 concept began life as a cost-no-object one-off by Jaguar’s engineers, and it later became a limited production supercar by Tom Walkinshaw’s Jaguarsport racing operation.
The prototype, which featured a detuned version of the TWR 48-valve Jaguar racing V-12 with all-wheel drive, was deemed too large, and the project was recast with a fuel-injected, four-cam, 24-valve, twin-turbocharged V-6 producing 542 horsepower. It attracted a lot of attention, and reportedly, Jaguar received 1,200 deposits for an anticipated production run of just 350 cars.
Styled like the concept, the recast car was given the production green light, with Jaguar and TWR confident that the simplified package could be hand-assembled at a new factory in Bloxham, UK, which was capable of building cars at a rate of three to four cars per week. By 1991, running prototypes were completing trials at Italy’s Nardo circuit, but in the meantime, the world economy was experiencing a recession.
Complicating matters further, Jaguar did not make available the car for sale in the United States, citing the cost of complying with U.S. safety and emissions certification. Topping it all off, the car was large and incredibly fast, with a top speed of over 200 mph—certainly not ideal for public roads. Faced with buyers who reneged on their orders, Jaguar struggled to move those that it built and ended the supercar project after just 281 had been completed, making them highly collectible today. The XJ220 was a successful race car however, and it won the GT class in the 1993 Le Mans, only to be disqualified several weeks later on a technical issue.
This particular car is finished in a beautiful dark Le Mans Blue metallic with grey leather hides. Like all XJ220s, it is equipped with factory air conditioning. It was completed on 20th November 1992 and destined for Germany on 18th December. Remarkably, the odometer registers just 4,003 kms from new!
The modifications to conform the Jaguar to California emissions certification were completed on 27th June 2001, enabling the car to be compliant with U.S. EPA and CARB emission control regulations applicable to 1992 passenger cars, before spending 12 years in the USA.
In February 2009, the car was serviced by experts at North Coast Exotics, of Cleveland, Ohio. Maintenance and repairs, which were in excess of $10,400, included the installation of a new clutch and slave cylinder and the replacement of timing belts, tensioners, spark plugs, and air, oil, and fuel filters, as well as all fluids. In 2013 the car was repatriated to the UK to join what must be the most complete collection of supercars anywhere, sharing a garage with a complete set of Ferrari ‘F’ cars, a McLaren F1 GTR & Mercedes CLK GTR AMG and everything in between from the Miura to World Speed Record Veyron.
Intended to compete with the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini, fewer than 300 examples were built in its short production run.
Certified for use in the USA, fully sorted by renowned experts Don Law Racing at 2,905 kms and with 4,003 kms (2,487 miles) from new this particular example remains a splendid example of Jaguar’s exhilarating supercar. View this vehicle on our website
Reference #10344101 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- Top speed-
- Driven Wheels-
- Economy0 mpg
- Body typeCoupe
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
- Used Jaguar in Abingdon (42)
- Used Jaguar in Ascot (27)
- Used Jaguar in Aylesbury (9)
- Used Jaguar in Aylesford (39)
- Used Jaguar in Guildford (42)
- Used Jaguar in Pulborough (53)
- Used Jaguar in Southampton (47)
- Used Jaguar in Swanley (14)
- Used Jaguar in Thames Ditton (34)
- Used Jaguar in Thatcham (40)
- Used Jaguar in Tonbridge (9)
- Used cars in Bedford (1262)
- Used cars in Bristol (1163)
- Used cars in Bury (1302)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1809)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1349)
- Used cars in Derby (1343)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1243)
- Used cars in Leeds (1556)
- Used cars in Leicester (1714)
- Used cars in Nottingham (2023)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1257)
- Used cars in East Midlands (11582)
- Used cars in East of England (13961)
- Used cars in London (5399)
- Used cars in North East (4361)
- Used cars in North West (13758)
- Used cars in Scotland (6630)
- Used cars in South East (15903)
- Used cars in South West (8417)
- Used cars in Wales (5090)
- Used cars in West Midlands (7918)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (12526)
No recent searches