This is one of the first 10 S1(A) built and is an excellent base for a subtle restoration.
Finding a true S1 (VIN < 460299)is now incredibly difficult to do, so a very early S1(A) is the next variant on the collectors tick list.
Body & Glass:
The fibreglass body is in generally good condition. It was repainted in the 1990s in Corvette yellow and has held up fairly well, but micro-blistering is now evident on most panels. Long term, the vehicle would greatly benefit from a repaint in the original colour. The glass is in good condition. The removable door Perspex windows do show discolouration and some crazing but are serviceable. The original retention hardware is intact.
The bonnet and engine cover open and close easily, retaining their panel gaps well. Both doors are suffering from the common'droop' problem, but a replacement hinge set is included.
The bonnet has original latch and aftermarket retaining pins installed. The engine cover had dual Elan supports added at some point, which required removal of the corners of the rear storage box. The original latch is also installed.
There is evidence of light collision damage to the front left corner, which required a repair of the headlamp bucket area. Underneath a number of ducts have been added by a previous owner. There are some cracks and damage from road interference.
The engine has not been run in several years but spins easily on the starter motor, having been turned over frequently in storage.
The original Renault 16 air cleaner remains, but the Motorola Alternator has been replaced with an alternative.
All the chrome work is bright and without major damage. All the correct S1(A) badges are installed. A box containing 3 Walpres bullet mirrors in pieces accompany the car. Some additional parts will be needed.
The vehicle is currently installed with aftermarket ‘minilite’ style wheels, with old but unused Yokohama tyres. The original steel wheels are included with the vehicle, one installed as a spare.
The vehicle’s interior is almost 100% original. The steering wheel has a period cover installed. The seats in extremely usable condition with only one small cut in the driver’s seat base.
The original headliner is missing, with an aftermarket part supplied loose.
The door panels have seen large speakers installed at some stage, requiring replacements to be manufactured to restore correctly, along with the deteriorated carpet set.
The original front, rear and repeater lamps are all in undamaged condition.
The wiper, fans and heater are all present but have not been tested. The Trico screen wash bladder and pump are missing.
All interior electronics are original and unspoilt, with the addition of a Becker Europa radio.
Frame & Chassis:
Although there is some surface corrosion on the visible areas of the frame, this is believed to be insignificant enough to warrant removing the frame from the body for restoration.
The frame has been repainted in the engine room in a red colour in an attempt to match the factory red oxide paint.
The chassis components appear to be in good shape with little corrosion. The original dampers have been replaced with adjustable Spax units, as have the rear lateral arms. Over-spray of yellow paint is evident on chassis and powertrain components.
Overall the car presents well but restoration is required to bring this up to the highest level of an original and early S1(A) Lotus Europa.
Reference #10524276 | Private
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- LayoutMid Engined
- Size1,400 cc
- AspirationNormally Aspirated
- Top speed-
- Driven WheelsRear Wheel Drive
- Economy0 mpg
- Body typeCoupe
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners 3
Phone the seller07956446870
Or send a message
Private Seller, Bucks, United Kingdom
- Used Lotus in Abingdon (1)
- Used Lotus in Aylesbury (2)
- Used Lotus in Canterbury (37)
- Used Lotus in Gerrards Cross (21)
- Used Lotus in Guildford (2)
- Used Lotus in Henley-on-Thames (18)
- Used Lotus in Leatherhead (29)
- Used Lotus in Longfield (2)
- Used Lotus in Lymington (11)
- Used Lotus in Southampton (10)
- Used Lotus in Witney (1)
- Used cars in Bedford (1274)
- Used cars in Bury (1306)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1833)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1308)
- Used cars in Derby (1352)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1273)
- Used cars in Leeds (1571)
- Used cars in Leicester (1899)
- Used cars in Nottingham (2035)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1262)
- Used cars in Swindon (1187)
- Used cars in East Midlands (11817)
- Used cars in East of England (13966)
- Used cars in London (5357)
- Used cars in North East (4391)
- Used cars in North West (14116)
- Used cars in Scotland (6662)
- Used cars in South East (15955)
- Used cars in South West (8531)
- Used cars in Wales (5139)
- Used cars in West Midlands (8057)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (12594)
No recent searches