Shortly after being imported to the UK from Germany in 1984, the Cabriolet was upgraded to 280SE specification, a desirable improvement giving noticeably stronger performance and usability.
During the 80s the Mercedes was owned by a Mr Wright who, along with the engine conversion, had the body repainted in its correct colour and added the W112 trim strips to the sides as he preferred the look. By 1990 it had sold to David and Tina Bellamy. Tina was president of the Mercedes Club between ’92 and 95 and winner of a Silver Star. They sold the car to Martin Cushway (a renowned Mercedes engineer) in 2000 who kept it for ten years and continued to maintain it for the last owner, a collector, who has enjoyed it since.
In recent years this W111 has benefitted from a new, beautifully fitting, hood in dark brown, new carpets, Michelin XWX tyres (X4), dampers and a complete Hayward & Scott stainless exhaust system.
There are extensive records detailing the maintenance and care of this car over the last 20 years along with a homologation certificate and copy of the data card from Mercedes.
The speedometer was replaced with an MPH unit during the 80s when it was reading 82,702km. 28,855 miles have subsequently been covered giving an overall mileage of 80,244 miles. The original KMPH speedo comes with the car.
There are many wonderful aspects to this car but perhaps one of the most appealing for me is that this is not a restored car – a basket case that has been reconstructed – but a beautifully preserved car that has been maintained and improved when required. The paintwork is over 30 years old and presents beautifully and the Olive leather is the original, in beautiful condition and to my eyes far preferable to a reproduced interior.
The second aspect is the way it drives. With the superior performance of its 280 engine and the positive action of its manual gearbox, it is a real delight to drive and flows along the road with a tautness and fluidity that is only found in correctly setup, well-maintained examples.
A wonderfully usable example of this rare and beautiful four-seat cabriolet in lovely condition.
Reference #10377680 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- LayoutFront Engined
- Size2,800 cc
- AspirationNormally Aspirated
- Top speed-
- Driven WheelsRear Wheel Drive
- Body typeConvertible
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Basingstoke (111)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Bracknell (93)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Chichester (91)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Guildford (223)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Kidlington (202)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Milton Keynes (191)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Newbury (99)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Portsmouth (95)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Reading (113)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Slough (124)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Southampton (142)
- Used cars in Bedford (1105)
- Used cars in Bristol (1028)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1655)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1019)
- Used cars in Derby (1260)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1243)
- Used cars in Leeds (1392)
- Used cars in Leicester (1723)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1801)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1015)
- Used cars in Swindon (1124)
- Used cars in East Midlands (10329)
- Used cars in East of England (12026)
- Used cars in London (4958)
- Used cars in North East (4058)
- Used cars in North West (12600)
- Used cars in Scotland (6274)
- Used cars in South East (14482)
- Used cars in South West (7595)
- Used cars in Wales (4675)
- Used cars in West Midlands (7389)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (10591)
No recent searches