4 Speed Manual
Completion on April 6, 1957
The complete driveline has been rebuilt. The 4-cam engine P90592 (type 547/1) was rebuilt by Billy Doyle (Rennwagen Motor Company), who rebuilt the crankshaft. K pistons, K cam lobes, rebuilt cylinder heads with new valves, and numbers matching gear set. 644 transmission was completely disassembled and rebuilt by Al Cadrobbi with all new bearings and synchromesh as 741 7:31 ring & pinion and differential was installed with BBAA gearing.
European Collectibles did a complete mechanical refresh including engine out service, rebuilt both distributors, Weber 48 IDA carburetors and run on the dyno, the complete braking system & suspension has been rebuilt.
Equipped with full GT options: 60mm GT front brakes with vented backing plates, five (5) date coded GT alloy wheels, GT 80 liter fuel tank, roll bar, lightweight GT interior, GT seats, GT deco trim on the bumpers, and GT side mirror. Additional options include 12-volt electrical system, Moto-Lita wood steering wheel, new soft top and boot cover, upholstered Speedster seats in black leatherette with white piping. The undercarriage is fully detailed to GT specification.
According to the Certificate of Authenticity & Kardex, the 356 was originally delivered in White with a Black leatherette interior. Currently finished in period correct Glasirit Silver Metallic with a Black interior. Excellent condition, complete with tool kit, jack, original owners manual, original Carrera Supplement signed by Dr. Ferry Porsche, Kardex, Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche & documentation of the restoration.
Delivered to Hoffman Motor Sports New York, New York
1st owner Mr. Edward N Myers - 1957
2nd owner Mr. F Block
3rd owner Mr. Tony Starbird lived in San Jose, CA - the mid-1960s
4th owner Mr. Ed Bowman lived in San Jose, CA - 1967-1968
5th owner Mr. Jim Perrin lived in Hillsboro, CA - 1968 - 1970
6th owner Steve Beck lived in San Jose, CA - 1970 to mid-1970s
7th owner Mr. Ned McDaniel lived in San Francisco - mid-1970s - 1983
Believed to be shown by Mr. McDaniel at the PCA Porsche Parade in Seattle, WA in 1975
Shown at the West Coast 356 Registry Holiday in Monterey, CA in 1982
8th owner purchased from Berkley Porsche in Pleasanton, CA February 15, 1985, who sold the Speedster for McDaniel
Extensive race history was done in the San Jose area of California from the 1960s to the 1970s by Starbird, Bowman, Perrin, Beck, and McDaniel including SCCA, California Club races, PCA rallies and AutoX
100 bhp, 1,498cc DOHC air-cooled horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine with dual Solex carburetors, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with torsion bars, an anti-roll bar, trailing arms, and telescopic shock absorbers, independent swing axle rear suspension with torsion bars and telescopic shock absorbers, and four-wheel drum brakes.
By 1956, Porsche had manufactured 10,000 cars and its racing credentials had been firmly established with the help of strong finishes in the Carrera Panamericana. To celebrate the Spyder's class victories in 1952, 1953, and 1954 (the last bringing in a 1st and 2nd in class and a 3rd and 4th overall, behind the much more powerful 4.5- and 4.9-litre Ferraris), Porsche decided to install a slightly de-tuned version of the 550's complicated 1.5-litre, four-cam, twin-plug racing engine into a limited number of production cars. The new high-performance 356 A was introduced at the 1955 Frankfurt Motor Show as a 1956 model. The new model would, of course, be named the Carrera—a name that has resonated to the present day as representing Porsche's fastest street machines.
The new 100-horsepower Fuhrmann-designed, dry-sump, roller-bearing engine, with chrome-plated cylinder bores and 8.1 compression—down from the Spyder's 9.5—could be ordered in all three of Porsche's 356 A models, the coupe, cabriolet, and speedster. The oil tank for the dry-sump lubrication system was mounted in the left-rear wing well, being protected from road debris by a mesh screen, which carried the car's chassis number. A pair of Autopulse fuel pumps and a pressure-reducing valve-controlled fuel flow.
There were numerous chassis improvements, including revised torsion bars, larger shock absorbers, and revised suspension bump stops, which all helped make these potent little cars much more enjoyable to drive. Wheel diameter was reduced to 15 inches from the 16-inch size of the Pre-As, and wheel width was increased by a full inch to 4.25. Tire size was increased to compensate for the additional 47 kilograms of weight. Externally, there were few other clues beyond the gold-plated “Carrera” scripts on the front wings and tail panel that revealed that these little cars were capable of almost 120 mph and could easily cruise at “the Ton” for hours on end.
Contact Us About This Vehicle
1665 Babcock Street, Costa Mesa, CA 92627 USA.
Reference #9082631 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- Top speed-
- Driven Wheels-
- Body typeConvertible
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
PistonHeads members who have owned this car or the same model
A chesil Speedster in its real life with an original 356 engine/badges wheels and chassis components Read the full summaryView members blog entries about this car