VR

Author
Discussion

Lim

2,274 posts

10 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
The buttonless games are worth a try, beat sabre, golf, 11 table tennis, Thrill of the fight.

They are good for nausea as they are strictly roomscale
For most part.

Edited by Lim on Thursday 28th January 12:12

J4CKO

34,167 posts

168 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
Mine is driving me mad on FS2020, sometimes it just hooks up and goes ok.

But then get black screens, garbled screens, stuttering, jitters and it just doesnt work reliably.

Tried new graphics drivers, reinstalled the Oculus SW, changing between Usb sockets and just cant get it reliable.

Spec is a 2600 Super and a 3900 X, 32 GB so should be fine.

Could it be the cable ? I have this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08G81VW8M/ref...

Oculus works fine standalone and is pretty good on Google Earth and Assetto Corsa.

As an aside, got one of these the other day,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08PG418MM/ref...

Makes a big difference over the crappy basic strap that comes with it.


SturdyHSV

8,237 posts

135 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
Sy1441 said:
Oculus Quest 2 incoming.

Best games to try?
11 Table Tennis
Superhot
Lone Echo (bit more challenging in terms of moving about maybe, but I found it extremely comfortable, far better than the ISS one as in Lone Echo you pull yourself around or just these little wrist jet thrusters which then mean you have more obvious control over your movement)

Baldinho

526 posts

182 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
Pistol Whip good fun also

Baldinho

526 posts

182 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
J4CKO said:
Mine is driving me mad on FS2020, sometimes it just hooks up and goes ok.

But then get black screens, garbled screens, stuttering, jitters and it just doesnt work reliably.

Tried new graphics drivers, reinstalled the Oculus SW, changing between Usb sockets and just cant get it reliable.

Spec is a 2600 Super and a 3900 X, 32 GB so should be fine.

Could it be the cable ? I have this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08G81VW8M/ref...

Oculus works fine standalone and is pretty good on Google Earth and Assetto Corsa.

As an aside, got one of these the other day,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08PG418MM/ref...

Makes a big difference over the crappy basic strap that comes with it.
I’ve got the same cable and mine now works fine on FS2020. Had similar issues when setting up but then just started to work. Sorry can’t remember what I did that made it work. There’s a video guide somewhere - will see if I can find it.

Baldinho

526 posts

182 months

J4CKO

34,167 posts

168 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
Cheers, I managed to sort it earlier with de and reinstalling FS2020, didn't take long so it must have retained the big download stuff but it worked.

Definitely need a 3080 to drive it properly.

Baldinho

526 posts

182 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
I've got a 3090 and it makes that sweat...

J4CKO

34,167 posts

168 months

Friday 29th January
quotequote all
Baldinho said:
I've got a 3090 and it makes that sweat...
Bloody Hell, even a 3090 ?

Thought that would muller it and come back for seconds ?

Did a flight from Dublin to Manchester yesterday, it was fine, at higher levels it copes really well but not quite as good if you are doing aerobatics in a 747 over Manhattan, its easy to get fixated on frame rates in those scenarios.


Les84

719 posts

134 months

Friday 29th January
quotequote all
How are people getting on that have to use glasses.


Dog Star

12,778 posts

136 months

Friday 29th January
quotequote all
Les84 said:
How are people getting on that have to use glasses.
I need them for distance, but don't seem to in VR


Bullett

9,926 posts

152 months

Friday 29th January
quotequote all
I wear my small glasses for VR on Vive but have found that the PIMAX can accommodate my normal glasses when I use the slightly thicker face foam.

Some providers have frames you can clip in for prescription lenses and/or deeper foams.

LimaDelta

4,745 posts

186 months

Friday 29th January
quotequote all
Bullett said:
I wear my small glasses for VR on Vive but have found that the PIMAX can accommodate my normal glasses when I use the slightly thicker face foam.

Some providers have frames you can clip in for prescription lenses and/or deeper foams.
How are you finding the PIMAX? Did you go 5K or 8K? I'm planning to upgrade from the Rift S at some point, probably going to go for the 5K given that my main reason for changing is the increased FOV rather than image resolution, and the 5K will still be a significant improvement on the Rift I reckon.

Bullett

9,926 posts

152 months

Friday 29th January
quotequote all
It's an improvement on the Vive.
The FOV is the big attraction and it's hard to go back to 110 after using it for any length of time. I have the 5k so resolution and SDE are much improved as well. I went 5k+ as I don't have the GPU power for the 8k although I think I'll pick up a 30 series when that is possible.
It was horrible at first as I only had the kickstarter soft strap, now with the proper headset it's much more usable. Software is getting better by the day but still a little flaky compared to OR and Valve.
As Pimax plays most Oculus games without revive, that is an added bonus.


offspring86

606 posts

140 months

Saturday 20th March
quotequote all
I'm looking at buying a VR headset for my recently built PC with the Oculus range being in my price range. If I want to use my PC, which would be best? The soon to be discontinued Rift S or the (relatively) recently released Quest 2?

The Rift S requires a PC, which is one of the main points for me, I want to use the power of my PC. The Quest 2, from what I understand is a standalone unit, but can connect to a PC, does this mean I'd get performance gains from it by connecting it via USB C?

As I'm using my computer, does that me it would be pointless buying the 256GB version of the Quest 2 as I wouldn't be using the storage?

saxon

349 posts

218 months

Monday 22nd March
quotequote all
Personally I would go with the Quest 2 as it's a great headset and works very well on PC. It's not very far off the quality of the HP Reverb G2 at half the cost and if you're only using it for PC gaming not freestanding I would buy the smaller storage version. Budget for the deluxe headstrap.

Saxon

paolow

3,134 posts

226 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
Just a heads up for those with the quest 2 - the next patch will allow ‘untethered’ game streaming from a pc natively.
Not sure if this will include your steam library - or in fact anything as the release is quite limited in detail - but for those that fancy some wireless Alyx - and don’t fancy the aggro of getting it running wirelessly (SO worth it though) this could be of interest (if it does give access to your existing library)

Fallingup

1,191 posts

66 months

Thursday 15th April
quotequote all
I've just had a shot of my sons Quest 2. I played a bit of a Walking Dead game and Quake. Absolutely brilliant! Though I died quite quickly in the Walking as I was unfamiliar with the controls and had difficulty in reloading the revolver. The last thing I tried was a simulation. You are on top of a tall building and have to walk out along a plank. It took me a while to summon the courage. Really fazed me when I fell off and plunged to the ground far below. Incredible. I'm hooked! Going back to a game on the pc felt so tame afterwards.

Lucas Ayde

2,552 posts

136 months

Thursday 15th April
quotequote all
paolow said:
Just a heads up for those with the quest 2 - the next patch will allow ‘untethered’ game streaming from a pc natively.
Not sure if this will include your steam library - or in fact anything as the release is quite limited in detail - but for those that fancy some wireless Alyx - and don’t fancy the aggro of getting it running wirelessly (SO worth it though) this could be of interest (if it does give access to your existing library)
Wireless streaming is amazing - I recently got Virtual Desktop (third party app) and it's a total game changer. Effectively, it's like your regular Quest becomes turbocharged by about 1000%, your PC becomes just like the built in hardware of your Quest.

Not only is it every bit as smooth as the cabled Oculus Link solution, I've found it to be more reliable and it is super easy to use with a lot less faffing around. You just run the streaming app on your PC and install Virtual Desktop on your Quest and away you go. The software detects your PC VR games (Oculus and Steam VR) and puts them in a launch menu for you to go direct to. It will handle all the other behind the scenes setup. In contrast, setting up the cable the first time was really confusing and even now it's a pain - plus you are tethered to a small area around your PC.

I don't know how good the first incarnation of the Oculus Wireless is but it's great that it's now a free and standard option. I'll probably stick with Virtual Desktop for the first few iterations at least until Oculus get it working in a stable manner. Using Oculus link with a proper USB3 cable still isn't 100% stable for me ....


Boozy

2,127 posts

187 months

Friday 16th April
quotequote all
Has anyone played Alyx on VR headset? before I sink 60 bucks into a game that may not be any good.