Good deal on Gates fuel hose

Good deal on Gates fuel hose

Author
Discussion

greymrj

2,944 posts

138 months

Tuesday 9th January
quotequote all
Kitchski said:
The Barricade we've got is rated to 225PSI. I believe there are different specs available.
Confusing isn't it Richard! Looks like Barricade is just a range name. Nor do different companies even use the same specification system. I went on a couple of sites to find out more but found it very difficult to compare like with like.

What I bought from CBS is German and they assure me it is the top spec ethanol proof stuff. Their code FUH06ET but that doesn't tell you much so I rang them. At £10.80 (incl vat) per metre for 6mm bore it better be good!! I do not want to be stripping that out again.

Incidentally I had forgotten (must be my age) that I replaced the fuel pipe a few years ago and used SYTEC (from Demon Tweeks) DIN 73379-2A . I am astonished by how brittle it has become and how badly cracked, I must take and add a photo.

Edited by greymrj on Tuesday 9th January 11:28

Kitchski

5,930 posts

165 months

Tuesday 9th January
quotequote all
greymrj said:
Confusing isn't it Richard! Looks like Barricade is just a range name. Nor do different companies even use the same specification system. I went on a couple of sites to find out more but found it very difficult to compare like with like.

What I bought from CBS is German and they assure me it is the top spec ethanol proof stuff. Their code FUH06ET but that doesn't tell you much so I rang them. At £10.80 (incl vat) per metre for 6mm bore it better be good!! I do not want to be stripping that out again.

Incidentally I had forgotten (must be my age) that I replaced the fuel pipe a few years ago and used SYTEC (from Demon Tweeks) DIN 73379-2A . I am astonished by how brittle it has become and how badly cracked, I must take and add a photo.

Edited by greymrj on Tuesday 9th January 11:28
Careful, some of the German-branded stuff we had a Chim last year was the stuff that was fine until you put 20PSI into it, at which point the cords were showing.

Just a thought though....6mm? Is this not for the TVR?

greymrj

2,944 posts

138 months

Tuesday 9th January
quotequote all
Kitchski said:
Just a thought though....6mm? Is this not for the TVR?
I trained with the English Electric, we were all metric S.I. in the 60's. The pipe also said 1/4" whatever that is, I believe it is a little more than a 50th of a mans foot length?. I had enough trouble when my kids came home talking cm (which is not strictly SI) instead of mm.

When I am under the car tomorrow* I must take the spec details off the pipe and share it with you. *(next job on rebuild; tidying up all the diff mounting area while awaiting a new rear diff mount rubber, found a crack in the old one while the diff was off)

phillpot

Original Poster:

14,327 posts

117 months

Tuesday 9th January
quotequote all
greymrj said:
a new rear diff mount rubber, found a crack in the old one while the diff was off
Have you found a new original, good second hand or splashed out on a fancy Silicone one?

Getting back to fuel hose, 2.8 may be different but everything I've come across so far has been 8mm - 5/16"?




Edited by phillpot on Wednesday 10th January 12:05

Kitchski

5,930 posts

165 months

Wednesday 10th January
quotequote all
As Mike said above, 5/16 (a whisker under 8mm) is standard fit for TVR. It's almost a recognised standard size for fuel injected cars, or certainly ones of that era. 6mm is generally a carburettor size, where the flow and pressure is always lower. Perhaps the Barricade 6mm stuff is designed to handle the Ethanol content etc. on carb-fed engines? The 5/16 stuff is certainly rated to 225psi. Give us a shout if you get stuck.

On the diff mount, I've got an old used one here you can have if you want. Removed it from one of the chassis jobs (possibly even my own) but I went for one of the billet jobs Mike mentioned, personally. Easy enough to renew the bushes in the future too, not that I should ever need to.
Advertisement

greymrj

2,944 posts

138 months

Wednesday 10th January
quotequote all
Thanks Mike and Richard, thoughts please:
The union on the fuel 'accumulator' on my S1 is the same size as the banjo on the large fuel filter mounted on the injection meter unit. That is for a 6mm bore pipe. See photo below. Now the question, is that as it should be?! The union and banjo certainly haven't been changed by me, but is not totally impossible I suppose that someone else might have done.
What do you think?



As far as the diff mount goes, budget is a bit tight as I want to get a spray done if I can raise the pension money! I didn't find any old stock and the Burton type gets close to £150 delivered! I am awaiting a second hand one which is supposed to be excellent....we shall see. Thanks for the offer Richard, much appreciated, I may be back to you!

Kitchski

5,930 posts

165 months

Wednesday 10th January
quotequote all
greymrj said:
Thanks Mike and Richard, thoughts please:
The union on the fuel 'accumulator' on my S1 is the same size as the banjo on the large fuel filter mounted on the injection meter unit. That is for a 6mm bore pipe. See photo below. Now the question, is that as it should be?! The union and banjo certainly haven't been changed by me, but is not totally impossible I suppose that someone else might have done.
What do you think?
Those banjos were the ones originally used on Ford systems, where the nylon pipe was heated and then shrunk onto the barbs. I've used 5/16 hose one them with no issue. There are multiple barbs, and as soon as the fastener has compressed the hose onto them, it's pretty well sealed. In truth, it's somewhere between the 1/4 and the 5/16, but to me fitting the 5/16 hose is preferable to stretching a 1/4 hose onto it, especially with the failures we've been seeing. The only thing to be careful of is that you don't overtighten the fastener. I only ever use the petrol pipe clips, or genuine Jubilee clips (size 9.5mm - 12mm) as the aftermarket ones can lose grip on the smallest pipes as the worm drive distorts as you tighten it.

The other reason I always stick with 5/16 is we end up repiping much of the car with Kunifer, and that's 5/16 too.

greymrj

2,944 posts

138 months

Thursday 11th January
quotequote all
Big question for me. Does it make a difference whether it is 6 or 8mm pipe?

GreenV8S

26,081 posts

218 months

Thursday 11th January
quotequote all
6mm is only half the area of 8mm so will give more pressure drop and more pressure variation. Half the area means twice the speed for a given flow rate and pressure drop varies with speed squared so it could make a significant difference. A restriction on the supply side increases the pump pressure needed for a given pressure at the engine. A restriction on the return side increases the pressure at the engine as well.

Restricting the fuel pressure at the engine is pretty bad news on a loaded engine so this does not seem like a good idea to me on the supply side. The impact will depend how much power you need to feed and how much excess pressure capacity your pump has at your required peak flow rate. If you feel your fuel supply has plenty of reserve capacity, it might not bother you.

It is less likely to matter on the return side since you will have less flow here.


greymrj

2,944 posts

138 months

Thursday 11th January
quotequote all
Hmmmm, you have confirmed my thinking. I worked out that the pump would have to work harder which would be good for the pump. Added to that the K Jetronic on the 2.8 is very pressure sensitive unlike the EFi. The more I thought about it the more concerned I became! The original hard wall plastic would be smaller OD but larger ID than I have at present. More pipe on order, together with new banjo and union to replace the crabby ones I have now. One silver lining....I needed some nice new 1/4 hose to replace a couple of old pipes on an MGB!

Thanks guys, I needed that kick to get back under and do it right. Pleased to say the diff mount arrived today, it appears very good. Paint drying ready for tomorrow nights efforts!