Green Card Lottery

Green Card Lottery

Author
Discussion

COLONEL_SMITH

Original Poster:

210 posts

198 months

Sunday 12th May 2019
quotequote all
Matt Harper said:
I know of two couples in the area I live in who have utilized an E2 Treaty Investor visa to set up in business here. One of them bought an existing Subway sandwich franchise (for less than $100k) and another who established a pool-care business with an investment of around $70k. The Subway guys are not doing so well, but the pool people are killing it.

E2 does have some punitive restrictions, but may be an option, depending on how determined you are to make the move...
I was just telling my wife about the English pool guy that cleaned our pool when we rented a villa for a holiday back in 2006. That probably explains how he was living out there. At least we have some other options to think about now.

I am trying to find the official diversity visa application website and can only find this one
https://www.dvlottery.com/
Is that the genuine government site?? To check a status of a past application you get directed to a website with .gov in the address. Just checking as I don’t want to hand over all of our personal info to a dodgy site.
Do I apply separately from my wife or does shy apply and adds me as her husband? Don’t want to mess the application up.
Thanks

Matt Harper

5,960 posts

162 months

Sunday 12th May 2019
quotequote all
Start here...

www.travel.state.gov

Go to "Get US Visas", then "Immigrate" and then "Diversity Lottery".

Edited by Matt Harper on Sunday 12th May 19:53

COLONEL_SMITH

Original Poster:

210 posts

198 months

Sunday 12th May 2019
quotequote all
It looks like 2021 applications have not started yet.
Going through that link ends up at the page I found earlier. Just says 2020 submission period has ended and gives a link to check your status.
I guess we will have to keep checking back to see when they start 2021 applications

The Moose

20,570 posts

170 months

Sunday 12th May 2019
quotequote all
It’s usually early October to the middle of November.

COLONEL_SMITH

Original Poster:

210 posts

198 months

Sunday 1st September 2019
quotequote all
Looking for some guidance on the best way to apply when the lottery applications open next month.
My wife had not changed her Lithuanian passport yet so is in her maiden name. She cannot get an appointment at the embassy to change it until after we apply for the lottery.
My question is she has to apply with the exact names on her passport(her maiden name) but when she changes the passport for her married name will that mess up the application?

The Moose

20,570 posts

170 months

Sunday 1st September 2019
quotequote all
COLONEL_SMITH said:
Looking for some guidance on the best way to apply when the lottery applications open next month.
My wife had not changed her Lithuanian passport yet so is in her maiden name. She cannot get an appointment at the embassy to change it until after we apply for the lottery.
My question is she has to apply with the exact names on her passport(her maiden name) but when she changes the passport for her married name will that mess up the application?
My understanding is that you have to fill in the form as is correct at the time of filling in the form. If things change between entry and draw, that's not a problem - e.g. if you did not have a child...and then had one between entry and draw.

COLONEL_SMITH

Original Poster:

210 posts

198 months

Sunday 1st September 2019
quotequote all
I hope that is the case as she i don’t think she can get it renewed before Christmas unless she goes back to Lithuania to do it.
I have asked the US embassy the question but got my doubts I will get a reply.

The Moose

20,570 posts

170 months

Sunday 1st September 2019
quotequote all
COLONEL_SMITH said:
I hope that is the case as she i don’t think she can get it renewed before Christmas unless she goes back to Lithuania to do it.
I have asked the US embassy the question but got my doubts I will get a reply.
Read the instructional document cover to cover. It's hugely helpful and answers almost all questions you could have.

COLONEL_SMITH

Original Poster:

210 posts

198 months

Monday 2nd September 2019
quotequote all
The Moose said:
Read the instructional document cover to cover. It's hugely helpful and answers almost all questions you could have.
I was reading some of it yesterday but could not see anything about changing names during the application. It mentioned just about everything but I could not see anything about that. I will print it out and read it through properly.
Have you applied for one?

The Moose

20,570 posts

170 months

Monday 2nd September 2019
quotequote all
The alternative is that you call one of the many companies out there that sell you this and ask them the question. Also remember that the application window is open for around a month so you have longer than you think to get it in.

My brother-in-law won the DV lottery a few years ago.

COLONEL_SMITH

Original Poster:

210 posts

198 months

Monday 7th October 2019
quotequote all
We submitted both of our entries last night so we are officially in the Diversity Lottery for 2021

The Moose

20,570 posts

170 months

Monday 7th October 2019
quotequote all
COLONEL_SMITH said:
We submitted both of our entries last night so we are officially in the Diversity Lottery for 2021
Good luck!!!

aaron_2000

4,202 posts

44 months

Sunday 27th October 2019
quotequote all
The Moose said:
The Diversity Visa is only open to people born in countries that send less that 50,000 (IIRC) to the US in the previous year.
Does that include tourism?

The Moose

20,570 posts

170 months

Tuesday 29th October 2019
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
The Moose said:
The Diversity Visa is only open to people born in countries that send less that 50,000 (IIRC) to the US in the previous year.
Does that include tourism?
I don't believe so - USCIS publish a list.