New TVR still under wraps!

Author
Discussion

bullittmcqueen

578 posts

27 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
m4tti said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Noone's gonna take Tesla private again. Current market cap is 60+ billion, you'd have to add a massive mark-up. All that for a massive loss-maker ?
Ego and diversification will probably help. Plus a dab of weed hehe
Musk is a cool smurf, i grant him that. Bit weedy in recent times, but hey. That reverse rocket thing is extremely impressive and he's got his roadster flying to Mars !! Definitely playing in a league of his own. I'm not bullish on Tesla and Hyperloop though.

But whatever happens, he will have a few outstanding stories to tell.

TVR definitely need go their act together and tell what's going on. I'm starting to look at Z06es right now and will make up my mind until beginning of next year.

m4tti

4,054 posts

91 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
bullittmcqueen said:
m4tti said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Noone's gonna take Tesla private again. Current market cap is 60+ billion, you'd have to add a massive mark-up. All that for a massive loss-maker ?
Ego and diversification will probably help. Plus a dab of weed hehe
Musk is a cool smurf, i grant him that. Bit weedy in recent times, but hey. That reverse rocket thing is extremely impressive and he's got his roadster flying to Mars !! Definitely playing in a league of his own. I'm not bullish on Tesla and Hyperloop though.

But whatever happens, he will have a few outstanding stories to tell.

TVR definitely need go their act together and tell what's going on. I'm starting to look at Z06es right now and will make up my mind until beginning of next year.
Do you think it would help if we have a whip round for some weed for Les to get him musk-ing.

bullittmcqueen

578 posts

27 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
m4tti said:
bullittmcqueen said:
m4tti said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Noone's gonna take Tesla private again. Current market cap is 60+ billion, you'd have to add a massive mark-up. All that for a massive loss-maker ?
Ego and diversification will probably help. Plus a dab of weed hehe
Musk is a cool smurf, i grant him that. Bit weedy in recent times, but hey. That reverse rocket thing is extremely impressive and he's got his roadster flying to Mars !! Definitely playing in a league of his own. I'm not bullish on Tesla and Hyperloop though.

But whatever happens, he will have a few outstanding stories to tell.

TVR definitely need go their act together and tell what's going on. I'm starting to look at Z06es right now and will make up my mind until beginning of next year.
Do you think it would help if we have a whip round for some weed for Les to get him musk-ing.
Tbh, i have absolutely no explanation for their communication-strategy.

baconsarney

8,640 posts

97 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
bullittmcqueen said:
Tbh, i have absolutely no explanation for their lack of communication-strategy.
-

Fixed that for you wink

El stovey

24,189 posts

199 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
m4tti said:
Do you think it would help if we have a whip round for some weed for Les to get him musk-ing.
He was definitely off his face on all sorts of drugs when he decided the front looked good.
Advertisement

skwdenyer

6,310 posts

176 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
bullittmcqueen said:
Tbh, i have absolutely no explanation for their communication-strategy.
Is the obvious explanation simply that they don't have any communication staff?

m4tti

4,054 posts

91 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
skwdenyer said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Tbh, i have absolutely no explanation for their communication-strategy.
Is the obvious explanation simply that they don't have any communication staff?
Or perhaps taking a step further back they have nothing to communicate, since the last update ...

bullittmcqueen

578 posts

27 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
skwdenyer said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Tbh, i have absolutely no explanation for their communication-strategy.
Is the obvious explanation simply that they don't have any communication staff?
Maybe, but i don't think that's the problem. When i wrote that, i meant i have no explanation which would result in a positive effect in the end. On the other hand, this is only a public forum and it's usually not a good idea to get drawn into these kinds of discussions. Whatever you say will be used against you, so that would be an explanation. Also, whatever they put out here, is immediately public and cannot be contained. In Shmee's video Shmee adressed the lack of comms (in a friendly way) and Les was answering to that by saying that they really only put out updates when there IS something to say. But he sounded as if he knew they have to do something about it.

And, maybe we're just asking too much. This kind of chatter-dynamics is present in all forums, be it stock-market, software, security, politics, you name it. You got the haters, the realists, the fans, the trolls and the lurkers and in the end it turns into a flamefest (we're not there yet !!). Maybe it IS the right thing to simply ignore it.

I have the utmost respect for them doing this, must take balls of steel. And going through all the comments here isn't all fun and games either. So still don't know what to make of it.


BJWoods

4,789 posts

220 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
ginkent said:
Long time lurker, read all this thread, let me summarise it:

If you have the means to drop 90k+ on this, you probably don’t give a st about the 2.5k - your only concern is the delay

Trolls like AD enjoy stiring the pot and getting a reaction

The car will come, it will be late and the gormless front will be addressed

If it all goes tits up, the 2.5k deposit holders will have a good dinner party tale to tell - so no big loss really

In the meantime ppl will beer-talk just to pass the time between infrequent updates.

Chill out, getting worked up about it won’t speed anything up, other than your heart rate.
I agree. I don't mind the despair, it is the hope of getting one that kills..

ahpboxster

28 posts

22 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Monkeylegend said:
Now lets think about this. Tesla with a model range of very fast, good range, all electric vehicles, with full order books, all the infrastructure needed to build cars by the 100 thousands, a plant for building batteries, a dealership network, or TVR with one prototype powered by a petrol V8, that doesn't appear to be road registered, only 75% of the parts required sourced, no production facilities, a shed where they apparently do the development work, no PR team, hopeless communications, and seemingly needing more money to progress further.

I know where I would invest my money.

I rest my case smile
You are looking at it now though, not back when it was starting and they got the same comments as TVR and lot's of comments from motoring press. Plenty of people invested earlier and made some pretty good gains and without them Tesla would not be around. There was range anxiety, lack of infrastructure, no servicing locations, safety concerns. But they have been overcome (not all on day one) and I bet you thought about those things then, I did.

So really what you are saying in hindsight is you should have invested early and got in on the growth and not waited until now smile. Plenty of investors who work that way, some win, some lose, but they exist and people secure finance.














Edited by ahpboxster on Friday 7th December 09:20

ahpboxster

28 posts

22 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
unrepentant said:
It’s totally different.

“TVR” have nothing. They haven’t built even one production car. They have no premises. They have hardly any staff. They have no history of building cars.

Tesla has sold hundreds of thousands of cars. They have tangible results, people are driving around in their product. They are also innovators.
Not at the beginning though and that is what I am saying. Using that argument nobody would ever be able to start a business, plus TVR have a brand name with heritage, a car design (which has value) and production plans that are quite advanced. PLUS deposit holders who have committed to purchase, very few start up companies have customer orders and that type of demand before they start.

We need people like this to take a risk and create the things we enjoy. I won't speculate whether it will work out or not and as I don't have a deposit I can't really complain anyway.

But in reality am I pleased somebody is giving it a go, yes and I wish them all the best. Would I have the nerve to do it, probably not, but it's good there are people who have.







Edited by ahpboxster on Friday 7th December 09:12


Edited by ahpboxster on Friday 7th December 09:13

Jhonno

3,238 posts

77 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
baconsarney said:
These
'I know stuff you don't'
'You know nothing'
'you're just guessing/speculating'
etc etc....

Really are fecking tiresome/boring/posturing rubbish....

I'd suggest that unless you hear it from Les you're all just guessing/point scoring..

Properly getting on my tits biggrin
This!

fatbutt

1,535 posts

200 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Jhonno said:
baconsarney said:
These
'I know stuff you don't'
'You know nothing'
'you're just guessing/speculating'
etc etc....

Really are fecking tiresome/boring/posturing rubbish....

I'd suggest that unless you hear it from Les you're all just guessing/point scoring..

Properly getting on my tits biggrin
This!
That!

m4tti

4,054 posts

91 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
fatbutt said:
Jhonno said:
baconsarney said:
These
'I know stuff you don't'
'You know nothing'
'you're just guessing/speculating'
etc etc....

Really are fecking tiresome/boring/posturing rubbish....

I'd suggest that unless you hear it from Les you're all just guessing/point scoring..

Properly getting on my tits biggrin
This!
That!
This easily remedied... don’t read the thread. Read the updates on the TVR official site. hehe

unrepentant

19,058 posts

192 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
ahpboxster said:
unrepentant said:
It’s totally different.

“TVR” have nothing. They haven’t built even one production car. They have no premises. They have hardly any staff. They have no history of building cars.

Tesla has sold hundreds of thousands of cars. They have tangible results, people are driving around in their product. They are also innovators.
Not at the beginning though and that is what I am saying. Using that argument nobody would ever be able to start a business, plus TVR have a brand name with heritage, a car design (which has value) and production plans that are quite advanced. PLUS deposit holders who have committed to purchase, very few start up companies have customer orders and that type of demand before they start.

The automotive industry is a very, very expensive space to enter. Tesla were able to raise billions because what they were doing was innovative.
You don't get it. What Tesla did was change the scenery. Nobody was doing what they were doing and that's why they succeeded.

"TVR" doesn't have a heritage. It's a name, the heritage died when Blackpool closed, 12 years ago. They have a design, so what? There's plenty of sports car designs out there. They have deposits for a few hundred cars. But according to their accounts the deposit holders money is gone so in reality they have unfulfilled orders.

The automotive space has a very high cost of entry. Tesla were able to raise billions because they were genuinely innovative. Unfortunately history is littered with small car companies who never got off the ground. Some even had "heritage".

twold

101 posts

66 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
m4tti said:
This easily remedied... don’t read the thread. Read the updates on the TVR official site. hehe
Excellentlaughbeer

Testarossa

980 posts

157 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
I hope when the bailiffs start knocking on Les's door demanding our deposits back, Les takes a moment to dwell on the fact that if he had just sorted that front out, he wouldn't be in the mess he is in now.

I'm just waiting for the renders on the website, if the company can't deliver, it can't deliver and if I've lost 5k, I've lost 5k. I've potentially lost a hell of a lot more in the past week smile

Once the renders are done and I don't "love" the end product, I'm going to contact Shmee and add his car to my wishlist which a lot of you will find strange and with no structure!

Shmee's tuned GT (as long as I'm not paying over the odds mate - I expect a bargain, we are virtually family now brother)
i8 Roadster, so much presence, not driven one, but I think I will like it - interior is a bit BMWy, but you can't have everything (unless you start a new car company and believe in yourself Les)
dbs/amv8/vanquish - will be fun shopping around.
Aventador S - if the stock market recovers and I didn't lose my nerve.
TVR Griffith Mark 2 - the one Les should have made originally but due to Gordon Murray got railroaded, now that China bought a large chunk of the business and threw Gordon out, it's the car it was destined to be, gorgeous/aggressive/fast, with widow maker status due to it's unforgiving behaviour on the road.

Alas, I will only get to drive it for a year because by 2025, all petrol cars will be banned from British roads.

Oh SLS if brexit helps drive the values lower (only because of the doors, I know the GT is better in every way, but those doors)



ahpboxster

28 posts

22 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
unrepentant said:
You don't get it. What Tesla did was change the scenery. Nobody was doing what they were doing and that's why they succeeded.

"TVR" doesn't have a heritage. It's a name, the heritage died when Blackpool closed, 12 years ago. They have a design, so what? There's plenty of sports car designs out there. They have deposits for a few hundred cars. But according to their accounts the deposit holders money is gone so in reality they have unfulfilled orders.

The automotive space has a very high cost of entry. Tesla were able to raise billions because they were genuinely innovative. Unfortunately history is littered with small car companies who never got off the ground. Some even had "heritage".
No what you don't get is that business can be created despite obstacles and objections and that is exactly why I mentioned Tesla. It is a different scale, but they identified an opening and went for it, they don't need to sell 10's of thousands of cars. As for your comment on Heritage, if that is the case why are so many TVR owners on here talking about it and being deposit holders.

It's no different to many periods of TVR's previous history and in fact many other car brands.

I guess you would have told Morgan not to make the new 3 Wheeler then ?.

Sorry but you are clearly confusing scale with success, Tesla has yet to profit from it's revolutionising of the car industry and many other brands are now entering the market. Also their abbreviated accounts are a snap shot of something over 8 months ago, you have no clue what finance is in place since that, so claiming deposit money has gone is rather speculation than the reality you claim. The reality is you don't know.



Edited by ahpboxster on Friday 7th December 15:16


Edited by ahpboxster on Friday 7th December 15:17

butch890

169 posts

41 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Can i ask that when we reach page 400 we have a posting ban for 24 hours to allow the watchers amongst us to :-
Obtain fresh supplies of Pop Corn,
Visit the bathroom to refresh personal hygene,
Spend a couple of hours doing "those little jobs" that the otherr half has been nagging us about for the last 2 years,
Catch up on the vast list of Boxsets,
Mow The lawn (must need doing ,its above the window cills!)
Check the garage to make sure our TVR ("S) are still there.
(Feel free to add to the list!)


N7GTX

3,703 posts

79 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
m4tti said:
fatbutt said:
Jhonno said:
baconsarney said:
These
'I know stuff you don't'
'You know nothing'
'you're just guessing/speculating'
etc etc....

Really are fecking tiresome/boring/posturing rubbish....

I'd suggest that unlessif you ever hear it from Les you're all just guessing/point scoring..

Properly getting on my tits biggrin
This!
That!
This easily remedied... don’t read the thread. Read the updates on the TVR official site. hehe
And I've corrected baconsarney's original quote for him for accuracy wink