New TVR still under wraps! (Vol. 2)

New TVR still under wraps! (Vol. 2)

Author
Discussion

RedAndy

595 posts

102 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
bullittmcqueen said:
Brexit or not, this will trickle down:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-rel...


Fun ends in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....
fun cars will just have an off switch for most of it.

bullittmcqueen

846 posts

39 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
RedAndy said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Brexit or not, this will trickle down:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-rel...


Fun ends in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....
fun cars will just have an off switch for most of it.
At least in the beginning. I've read an working-group paper concerning ISA (intelligent speed assistance, which is a GPS based, geo-fenced speed-control system) and they clearly stated that there would be an initial 2-3 year phase during which drivers will be able to turn it off to "raise acceptance" for the system with the clear goal in mind of removing that turn-off option later down the road.

It will also massively increase cost and complexity for smaller producers (TVR!) to develop/buy, integrate, calibrate and test these systems. The (stated) ultimate goal, is to remove the driver from this equation altogether.

El stovey

28,928 posts

211 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
bullittmcqueen said:
It will also massively increase cost and complexity for smaller producers (TVR!) to develop/buy, integrate, calibrate and test these systems. The (stated) ultimate goal, is to remove the driver from this equation altogether.
Makes sense, less congestion, better traffic flow, safer. Not much fun though.

V6 Pushfit

11,111 posts

58 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
‘RIP Project Griffith. 6th-9th September 2017’

bullittmcqueen

846 posts

39 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
El stovey said:
bullittmcqueen said:
It will also massively increase cost and complexity for smaller producers (TVR!) to develop/buy, integrate, calibrate and test these systems. The (stated) ultimate goal, is to remove the driver from this equation altogether.
Makes sense, less congestion, better traffic flow, safer. Not much fun though.
Yeah. I don't oppose it in its entirety, there is cool stuff you can build upon it. I've got an IT-background and there are so many extremely techy, awesome things in the pipeline that will make driving safer, more efficient, faster, easier and whatnot that are useful for 99% of my daily driving (not fond of the alco-snorkel in cars, though)..

Only problem is, that it will leave little to no room for the non-conforming stuff, which is only 1% of the driving, but 100% of fun. Entire old-school car industry is in for a rough ride, that's for sure.

V6 Pushfit

11,111 posts

58 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
Makes pre 2020 cars a good choice for proper driving and pre 1995 for no ECU and pre 1993 for no emission controlling nonsense. Even better for my 1941 beast which has little steering and no brakes either.

bullittmcqueen

846 posts

39 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
V6 Pushfit said:
Makes pre 2020 cars a good choice for proper driving and pre 1995 for no ECU and pre 1993 for no emission controlling nonsense. Even better for my 1941 beast which has little steering and no brakes either.
Ah, not so fast, they thought of that one, too:

...
In addition to banning the sale of new fossil fuel cars, the government said it would stop granting National Car Test (NCT) certificates to such vehicles by 2045.
...

from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48668791

Which basically means they'll take old cars off the road. It's 25 years down the road, no-one knows what the world will look like then, so probably no reason to worry about it now. But given current climate developments, that step may come way earlier and may be altered to include other "politically incorrect" vehicles. But when the time comes, it probably won't hurt that much, as petrol prices will have been taxed out of sight by then anyway.



V6 Pushfit

11,111 posts

58 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
That’s fking ridiculous it’s what pisses me off when my (our) main interest is ICE related stuff - and a bunch of city dwelling nutters on benefits who haven’t a clue about anything form a massive pressure group for changing the way that everybody else lives.
When the climate protests were televised there wasn’t a single person there I could see that was level headed and employable.

midenginedcoupe

4,544 posts

80 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
V6 Pushfit said:
That’s fking ridiculous it’s what pisses me off when my (our) main interest is ICE related stuff - and a bunch of city dwelling nutters on benefits who haven’t a clue about anything form a massive pressure group for changing the way that everybody else lives.
When the climate protests were televised there wasn’t a single person there I could see that was level headed and employable.
I’m not sure you’re carrying off either level-headed *or* employable with these last two posts wink

V8fan

2,546 posts

216 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
bullittmcqueen said:
Ah, not so fast, they thought of that one, too:

...
In addition to banning the sale of new fossil fuel cars, the government said it would stop granting National Car Test (NCT) certificates to such vehicles by 2045.
...

from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48668791

Which basically means they'll take old cars off the road. It's 25 years down the road, no-one knows what the world will look like then, so probably no reason to worry about it now. But given current climate developments, that step may come way earlier and may be altered to include other "politically incorrect" vehicles. But when the time comes, it probably won't hurt that much, as petrol prices will have been taxed out of sight by then anyway.
That article is about Ireland. They never even brought in National Car Testing (MoT equivalent) until the year 2000 (!) and the article fails to mention it is required every 2 years from a vehicle age of 4 until 10 years old:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_r...

They have an exemption at 40 years old, as we do. This is a nice exemption too:

"Cars permanently based on islands that are not connected to the mainland by road do not have to be tested."



Edited by V8fan on Friday 15th November 08:50

bullittmcqueen

846 posts

39 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
V8fan said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Ah, not so fast, they thought of that one, too:

...
In addition to banning the sale of new fossil fuel cars, the government said it would stop granting National Car Test (NCT) certificates to such vehicles by 2045.
...

from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48668791

Which basically means they'll take old cars off the road. It's 25 years down the road, no-one knows what the world will look like then, so probably no reason to worry about it now. But given current climate developments, that step may come way earlier and may be altered to include other "politically incorrect" vehicles. But when the time comes, it probably won't hurt that much, as petrol prices will have been taxed out of sight by then anyway.
That article is about Ireland. They never even brought in National Car Testing (MoT equivalent) until the year 2000 (!) and the article fails to mention it is required every 2 years from a vehicle age of 4 until 10 years old:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_r...

They have an exemption at 40 years old, as we do. This is a nice exemption too:

"Cars permanently based on islands that are not connected to the mainland by road do not have to be tested."



Edited by V8fan on Friday 15th November 08:50
You're right. I just posted this as an example of things to come. They put this in legislation already. My point was simply to state, that pretty extreme measures will be taken by governments. It also adds peer-, regulatory- and economic pressure on other countries. Maybe the UK is lucky and there will be so few remaining ICE cars left, that noone bothers. I could see (and hope) that the same thing happens here in Germany, but i'm not optimistic.

After 15 years the lion's share of cars will be end of life. So if the last ICE cars are actually admitted in 2030 (which seems to a line that quite a few european countries support), then there will be very, very few ICE cars left in 2045. Infrastructure will disappear with the cars. Fewer spare parts, fewer repairs, fewer gas-stations, etc, everything at low-volume collectors prices. You'll probably have to buy fuel at the only remaining gas-station in a 100mile circle and burn half the fuel to get there and back.

But most likely we will all have gotten used to it by then and if our new shiny e-vehicles are in a good mood, they'll take us for a fun ride on a sunday morning. Or they could decide to go on their own if we don't stop complaining about how great everything was in the old days biggrin







8nil

588 posts

160 months

phazed

18,303 posts

152 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
N7GTX said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Brexit or not, this will trickle down:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-rel...


Fun ends in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....
yikes
FFS!

2022!

bullittmcqueen

846 posts

39 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
phazed said:
N7GTX said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Brexit or not, this will trickle down:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-rel...


Fun ends in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....
yikes
FFS!

2022!
Yep, and wasn't there some more or less stringent regulatory alignment coming with the latest Brexit-version ? All in all i'd say there's little chance you will dodge this.


Monkeylegend

16,808 posts

179 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
bullittmcqueen said:
phazed said:
N7GTX said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Brexit or not, this will trickle down:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-rel...


Fun ends in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....
yikes
FFS!

2022!
Yep, and wasn't there some more or less stringent regulatory alignment coming with the latest Brexit-version ? All in all i'd say there's little chance you will dodge this.
The way you dodge it is to not buy any car made after 2021 and keep our old clankers running as long as possible.

That'll teach em to mess around with us.

bullittmcqueen

846 posts

39 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
Monkeylegend said:
bullittmcqueen said:
phazed said:
N7GTX said:
bullittmcqueen said:
Brexit or not, this will trickle down:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-rel...


Fun ends in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....
yikes
FFS!

2022!
Yep, and wasn't there some more or less stringent regulatory alignment coming with the latest Brexit-version ? All in all i'd say there's little chance you will dodge this.
The way you dodge it is to not buy any car made after 2021 and keep our old clankers running as long as possible.

That'll teach em to mess around with us.
That's the spirit !!



V6 Pushfit

11,111 posts

58 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
midenginedcoupe said:
V6 Pushfit said:
That’s fking ridiculous it’s what pisses me off when my (our) main interest is ICE related stuff - and a bunch of city dwelling nutters on benefits who haven’t a clue about anything form a massive pressure group for changing the way that everybody else lives.
When the climate protests were televised there wasn’t a single person there I could see that was level headed and employable.
I’m not sure you’re carrying off either level-headed *or* employable with these last two posts wink
We are both bang on there.

Gazzab

17,278 posts

230 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
Tried tweeting TVR for an update but they keep all tweets ‘private’.

V6 Pushfit

11,111 posts

58 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
Gazzab said:
Tried tweeting TVR for an update but they keep all tweets ‘private’.
Yes I tried that. All part of the Great PR Exercise.

lancepar

414 posts

120 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
Why wait for the new Tesla Roadster.............

https://tinyurl.com/sfyjb2a

cool