Professional Valeters and Detailers - Car Care Advice Thread

Professional Valeters and Detailers - Car Care Advice Thread

Author
Discussion

Proz

5 posts

15 months

Sunday 11th August 2019
quotequote all
Hi Guys

First post desperate for help.

Im desperate for help with my windscreen and screeching shuddering blades.

My car a Mercedes E class 2016 has started to destroy wiper blades in a few days.

Genuine Mercedes wipers always in use. Car has been treated with DiamondBrite which i do use the Conserver monthly as recommended. It does say to try and not get it on the windscreen which i keep well clear of. The car has a panoramic glass roof so no need for the conserver on the roof anyway.. The car is also protected with the DiamondBrite Ceramic Glaze which is recommended to be re-applied every 3 months. But this issue started before the ceramic stuff was applied.
I believe the car has at some point had Gyeon Wet Coat applied to it as well although i dont use it and just stick to the DiamondBrite.

Anyway brand new wipers work perfectly and smoothly for a week or two then they start screeching and juddering at the last few inches of the stroke.
Its like a greasy film or something at the last inch or two of the stroke causes them to judder and screech. I've gone through 3 sets of genuine Mercedes blades in the last 3 months and tried Bosch Aerotwin as well with the same result. Cleaned the screen with Zaino Clear View Glass Polish which is meant to remove all and everything on a screen including the likes of Rain X etc and its just the same .... done it multiple times , changed blades but this returns again. I have even tried Rain X's own stuff that is used to remove Rain X but it always returns after a few days.
Im at the stage where i hate driving in the rain and seriously considering getting rid of it or smashing the windscreen , although there would probably be no chance of getting an OEM replacement .
My last throw of the dice is to order a set of Piaa SI-Tech silicone wipers .... they are on there way ... another £50 on wiper blades. Sick of it , almost monthly for wiper blades .

Is it possible some of these protections are coming off the bonnet/hood and contaminating the screen and if so how the hell do i cure this ..... its ridiculous.
Both sides are the same and I should also add that when i use screenwash they stop juddering and screeching for a few strokes but it gradually returns over the next minute or so ....

Any helpful suggestions welcomed .....

Thank You

Edited by Proz on Sunday 11th August 15:47

xjay1337

15,966 posts

77 months

Sunday 11th August 2019
quotequote all
Proz said:
Hi Guys

First post desperate for help.

Im desperate for help with my windscreen and screeching shuddering blades.

My car a Mercedes E class 2016 has started to destroy wiper blades in a few days.

Genuine Mercedes wipers always in use. Car has been treated with DiamondBrite which i do use the Conserver monthly as recommended. It does say to try and not get it on the windscreen which i keep well clear of. The car has a panoramic glass roof so no need for the conserver on the roof anyway.. The car is also protected with the DiamondBrite Ceramic Glaze which is recommended to be re-applied every 3 months. But this issue started before the ceramic stuff was applied.
I believe the car has at some point had Gyeon Wet Coat applied to it as well although i dont use it and just stick to the DiamondBrite.

Anyway brand new wipers work perfectly and smoothly for a week or two then they start screeching and juddering at the last few inches of the stroke.
Its like a greasy film or something at the last inch or two of the stroke causes them to judder and screech. I've gone through 3 sets of genuine Mercedes blades in the last 3 months and tried Bosch Aerotwin as well with the same result. Cleaned the screen with Zaino Clear View Glass Polish which is meant to remove all and everything on a screen including the likes of Rain X etc and its just the same .... done it multiple times , changed blades but this returns again. I have even tried Rain X's own stuff that is used to remove Rain X but it always returns after a few days.
Im at the stage where i hate driving in the rain and seriously considering getting rid of it or smashing the windscreen , although there would probably be no chance of getting an OEM replacement .
My last throw of the dice is to order a set of Piaa SI-Tech silicone wipers .... they are on there way ... another £50 on wiper blades. Sick of it , almost monthly for wiper blades .

Is it possible some of these protections are coming off the bonnet/hood and contaminating the screen and if so how the hell do i cure this ..... its ridiculous.
Both sides are the same and I should also add that when i use screenwash they stop juddering and screeching for a few strokes but it gradually returns over the next minute or so ....

Any helpful suggestions welcomed .....

Thank You

Edited by Proz on Sunday 11th August 15:47
Unrelated to the wax on the car. Probably crap falling onto the car / window wipers.

Pro Valets

Original Poster:

61 posts

89 months

Monday 12th August 2019
quotequote all
Hey Proz,
It sounds to me like you may have some contamination on the screen. This could even be a thin layer of rubber deposited by your brand new wipers. When the blades get to the end of the stroke, they have to fold over on themselves to head off the other way. This can leave the residue.
Our suggestion would be to try a mild solvent cleaner on a clean cloth and gently wipe over the area causing issue.
Something along the lines of a Tar and glue remover, or even white spirit if you have some handy.
Clean afterwards with a normal glass cleaner spray and see how you get on.

Another option would be to use a clay bar on the glass. You'll need to use a lubricant as it will naturally want to stick to it.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, don't despair! Sometimes new wipers can take a couple of weeks for the soft rubber to stop grabbing against the screen (this is what causes judder). It's a common problem on cars that have had glass sealants freshly applied.

Finally, if the problem doesn't go away, possibly look into a glass sealant but one with a lesser lifespan. Something along the lines of Carpro FlyBy30 or Nanolex Urban glass sealant (Many others available). These work by leaving a very thin film on top of the glass, and can act as a lubricant for the wipers, but also aid in water clearing as a side effect. Wipe a small amount down the actual blades themselves too (a trick of the trade to ease wiper judder after application).

Good luck, and hope you manage to resolve the issue!

drssg121

34 posts

57 months

Tuesday 21st January
quotequote all
Hello there
I am not sure if this thread is alive but I am looking for a ceramic coating for a nearly new Lexus rcf in the sidcup area. I already have the car booked in for front end ppf

Many thanks
Simran

xjay1337

15,966 posts

77 months

Tuesday 21st January
quotequote all
drssg121 said:
Hello there
I am not sure if this thread is alive but I am looking for a ceramic coating for a nearly new Lexus rcf in the sidcup area. I already have the car booked in for front end ppf

Many thanks
Simran
Are the company applying the ppf not able to put the coating on too?

Most ppf companies partner with a detailing shop.

V8covin

3,218 posts

152 months

Friday 6th March
quotequote all
Can anyone recommend a bumper cleaner/restorer for textured bumpers ?
Must be silicone free as it's for use in a bodyshop

ajblogs

8 posts

5 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
I'm looking for a detailer in East London / Essex for a near-new car. Ideally I'm looking for someone that does not cost a fortune, as I don't have a supercar. Has anyone used Details Details in Essex? They seem to be Gtechniq certified, but I cannot find much in terms of google reviews, or other reviews.

Alternatively has anyone used Reflection Detailing, again in Essex?

Any other recommendations?

Pro Valets

Original Poster:

61 posts

89 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Hi AJBLOGS,

If you plug in your post code at www.pro-valets.co.uk it will reveal the independent car care professionals around you, and you can check out their profiles to see if they suit your needs.

ajblogs

8 posts

5 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Thank you Pro Valets. I tried those, but it seems very few of these are Gyeon or Gtechniq certified. So I am wondering how much does certification matter, and does certification mean that the detailer would definitely be of a high standard?

Pro Valets

Original Poster:

61 posts

89 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Generally speaking, certification indicates that a detailer has had training in the preparation for, and application of the product, and in many cases, have access to professional-only products that may have superior performance to those available over the counter to non-certified detailers. Also, most that come with some form of warranty are only valid if applied by an accredited detailer.

I would suggest looking at the Gtechniq map of accredited people: https://gtechniq.com/detailing-services/ and here is the Gyeon equivalent: https://gyeonquartz.uk/distributors-detailers/ - some other Ceramic Coating companies have a similar system on their respective websites.

Craphouserat

1,410 posts

160 months

Sunday 5th July
quotequote all
Can I ask the pro's if you have any recommendations for a wet/dry vac and power washers - budget £400 for both together. I've heard a lot of bad reviews for Karcher - especially the k4.

xjay1337

15,966 posts

77 months

Sunday 5th July
quotequote all
I'd buy a Nilfisk , but not the basic one

Kranzle would be nice but that's basically your whole budget.

The henry wet vac is pretty decent.

Craphouserat

1,410 posts

160 months

Sunday 5th July
quotequote all
xjay1337 said:
I'd buy a Nilfisk , but not the basic one

Kranzle would be nice but that's basically your whole budget.

The henry wet vac is pretty decent.
Cheers - looking at Nilfisk just now the c135 - is that the basic one?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/nilfisk-c13516ip-x...

Regarding the wet/dry vac anything in particualr i should be looking at? Should it be a certain power etc to be any good?

Sorry for all the questions - i hope to upgrade to a Kranzle once I've actually starting earning some money from the part time business i'm setting up. Only looking at doing 2\3 cars a week

Appreciate any help guys.

xjay1337

15,966 posts

77 months

Sunday 5th July
quotequote all
Craphouserat said:
Cheers - looking at Nilfisk just now the c135 - is that the basic one?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/nilfisk-c13516ip-x...

Regarding the wet/dry vac anything in particualr i should be looking at? Should it be a certain power etc to be any good?

Sorry for all the questions - i hope to upgrade to a Kranzle once I've actually starting earning some money from the part time business i'm setting up. Only looking at doing 2\3 cars a week

Appreciate any help guys.
nah the c110 is the basic one.

i have one at home.

the green henry wet vac was good when i used it.


Craphouserat

1,410 posts

160 months

Sunday 5th July
quotequote all
xjay1337 said:
nah the c110 is the basic one.

i have one at home.

the green henry wet vac was good when i used it.
Superb my friend - thanks.