lets see your Lotus(s)!

lets see your Lotus(s)!

Author
Discussion

KPB1973

470 posts

57 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
My new-to-me Sports Racer. Bought unseen during lockdown and just delivered.

Inevitably it needs a few bits doing - the biggest being an issue with the hard top mounting point on the O/S/F - but it is everything I was hoping for from behind the wheel.

It's my first Lotus and one of the last cars on my bucket list after fast forwarding through several Porsches, M-cars and RS meganes in recent years.


simonpieman

345 posts

144 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
Looks great. Love the stripe - simple, purposeful.

Good luck with sorting the roof fixing.

simonpieman

345 posts

144 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
In anticipation of Boris announcing total freedom to drive British made cars last Sunday, I detailed our Roadster and got it ready for the summer. Clay bar plus three coats of wax. Clean and feed the leather. Very satisfying. Unfortunately, no relaxation on leisure drives from Mr Johnson.




Breadvan72

39,660 posts

121 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
You can go for a drive if you want to. Anyone who suggests otherwise, including Johnson, is talking nonsense,

RONV

297 posts

92 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all

Ferodocastrol

4,520 posts

183 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
Breadvan72 said:
You can go for a drive if you want to. Anyone who suggests otherwise, including Johnson, is talking nonsense,
I haven't been out in mine this year yet, as I understood it, police are/were stopping motorists that might be heading to beauty spots, if you can't give an 'essential travel' reason, they nick you or turn you around, our cars don't look like essential mobiles, I've been out in the van though. Do I have it wrong?

Itching to get out in it.......................


Breadvan72

39,660 posts

121 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
Ferodocastrol said:
I haven't been out in mine this year yet, as I understood it, police are/were stopping motorists that might be heading to beauty spots, if you can't give an 'essential travel' reason, they nick you or turn you around, our cars don't look like essential mobiles, I've been out in the van though. Do I have it wrong?

...
You have it wrong. So did the police for a while.

There was never a rule about essential travel. But in any event the rules were amended last Wednesday, and you can go out for a drive for well being.

Breadvan72

39,660 posts

121 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
A few pointers -

1: The law is set out in sets of Regulations - these differ for each nation within the UK.

2. Only the Regulations have legal effect. Nothing said by the PM, and no guidance published by the Gov, has any legal effect. You can only be prosecuted for a breach of the Regulations.

3. In England, there is no legal rule compelling two metre spacing. It's a good idea, but it's not mandated by law.

4. It is OK to go for a drive or ride in order to exercise, or for wellbeing.

5. Gatherings are still prohibited, so no car club meetings or Tesco car park Barryfests.

6. The police cannot issue fines. Only a court can do this. The police can issue FPNs. If you decline to pay an FPN, the CPS will consider whether or not to prosecute you.

7. There has never been any test of "essential journey". You need a reasonable excuse to be away from the place where you live.

8. The Regs contain a non-exhaustive list of reasonable excuses. Note the words non-exhaustive. If not listed, what is reasonable depends on the facts, and the test of reasonableness is objective.

Be careful in Wales - the rules are a bit different, and also the police are misinterpreting the law and stopping people when they should not.

simonpieman

345 posts

144 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
RONV said:
Immaculate

Ferodocastrol

4,520 posts

183 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
Breadvan72 said:
A few pointers -

1: The law is set out in sets of Regulations - these differ for each nation within the UK.

2. Only the Regulations have legal effect. Nothing said by the PM, and no guidance published by the Gov, has any legal effect. You can only be prosecuted for a breach of the Regulations.

3. In England, there is no legal rule compelling two metre spacing. It's a good idea, but it's not mandated by law.

4. It is OK to go for a drive or ride in order to exercise, or for wellbeing.

5. Gatherings are still prohibited, so no car club meetings or Tesco car park Barryfests.

6. The police cannot issue fines. Only a court can do this. The police can issue FPNs. If you decline to pay an FPN, the CPS will consider whether or not to prosecute you.

7. There has never been any test of "essential journey". You need a reasonable excuse to be away from the place where you live.

8. The Regs contain a non-exhaustive list of reasonable excuses. Note the words non-exhaustive. If not listed, what is reasonable depends on the facts, and the test of reasonableness is objective.

Be careful in Wales - the rules are a bit different, and also the police are misinterpreting the law and stopping people when they should not.
Cheers for that and fair enough, might take it out later, I have however seen words that put me off, like 'what if you have an accident for a journey that wasn't necessary' and so putting the NHS to a further stretch. I'll keep it under 30mph for the guilt police.


otolith

42,446 posts

162 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
People have been busy inventing reasons for overreach on the enforcement of covid regulations (like suggesting that it’s about not crashing and ending up in hospital) but it’s always been primarily about not getting up into each other’s faces.

Breadvan72

39,660 posts

121 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
The NHS is not unduly stretched in the south at present. This may change.

I have been driving a lot. The drives have been lawful so far as the emergency rules are concerned, but not always lawful so far as speed limits are concerned.

simonpieman

345 posts

144 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
Breadvan72 said:
The NHS is not unduly stretched in the south at present. This may change.

I have been driving a lot. The drives have been lawful so far as the emergency rules are concerned, but not always lawful so far as speed limits are concerned.
Hahaha

GTRene

11,767 posts

182 months

Sunday 17th May
quotequote all
not mine, just came across it, a rare 1 out of 7 made Lotus Elise GT1

said:
Completely restored at X-Tec Engineering in the UK, ready to race and already accepted for LeMans Classic 2021!

One of seven cars built to compete in the 1997 FIA GT Championship.

- brand new V8 - engine Corvette ZR1 with 655 bhp / 482 kw
- sequential Hewland 6 speed gearbox
- some spares










https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/1130...

were is my wallet ;-)

RONV

297 posts

92 months

Monday 18th May
quotequote all
simonpieman said:
Immaculate
I put it on to let people see what a real LOTUS ENGINE looks like and not a Jap one, but I only get 15 to 20 MPG

otolith

42,446 posts

162 months

Monday 18th May
quotequote all
RONV said:
simonpieman said:
Immaculate
I put it on to let people see what a real LOTUS ENGINE looks like and not a Jap one, but I only get 15 to 20 MPG
I think I prefer a Toyota engine in a Lotus car to a Lotus engine in a Ford car, but as they say, one's mileage may vary biggrin

Breadvan72

39,660 posts

121 months

Monday 18th May
quotequote all
My Europas and Elan PLus 2 had Lotus-Ford engines. The best Lotus engine IMO is the 912 in the Eclat, Excel, and some Esprits.

leglessAlex

3,663 posts

99 months

Monday 18th May
quotequote all
otolith said:
RONV said:
simonpieman said:
Immaculate
I put it on to let people see what a real LOTUS ENGINE looks like and not a Jap one, but I only get 15 to 20 MPG
I think I prefer a Toyota engine in a Lotus car to a Lotus engine in a Ford car, but as they say, one's mileage may vary biggrin
I like the noise, reliability and servicing costs of my Toyota I mean, Lotus, but can see the appeal of an engine of their own so to speak smile

RONV

297 posts

92 months

Monday 18th May
quotequote all
I can understand who would want to own and drive one of these common things

RONV

297 posts

92 months

Monday 18th May
quotequote all