A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

Author
Discussion

manorcom

222 posts

50 months

Sunday 3rd November
quotequote all


I feel your pain. I had this 912 around '78. Wish I still had it.



williamp

16,668 posts

221 months

Sunday 3rd November
quotequote all
manorcom said:
Help needed! Me and some friends have been straining our eyes to try and work out the car in this picture. Perhaps a Hillman Super Imp?
Sunbeam stilettoe?

finlo

1,686 posts

151 months

Sunday 3rd November
quotequote all
williamp said:
Sunbeam stilettoe?
Could be, definitely an early Imp of some sort with the indicator stalk comming out of the binacle the same as the Imp sport I had.

Later car's had column mounted stalks.

Edited by finlo on Sunday 3rd November 19:56

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

22,735 posts

183 months

Sunday 3rd November
quotequote all
finlo said:
williamp said:
Sunbeam stilettoe?
Could be, definitely an early Imp of some sort with the indicator stalk comming out of the binacle the same as the Imp sport I had.

Later car's had column mounted stalks.

Edited by finlo on Sunday 3rd November 19:56
hehe where's that parrot?

P5BNij

4,517 posts

54 months

Tuesday 5th November
quotequote all

manorcom

222 posts

50 months

Wednesday 6th November
quotequote all
50 years ago yesterday. Ad in Melody Maker....Win a Capri.

generationx

2,520 posts

53 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
manorcom said:
50 years ago yesterday. Ad in Melody Maker....Win a Capri.
Wow - 20 pounds spending money each!

pingu393

3,684 posts

153 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
manorcom said:
50 years ago yesterday. Ad in Melody Maker....Win a Capri.
I'm clearing out my mum's house and I think my dad had one of those cassette players. I can't find it at the moment, but it's around here somewhere because I found it earlier.

M3DGE

1,807 posts

112 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
ClaphamGT3 said:
M3DGE said:
ClaphamGT3 said:
nicanary said:
Far right probably a Lanchester, far left possibly an Austin. The central cars could be a mix of de Dion-Bouton and Renault.
The two in the middle, driven by women are definitely De Dion Boutons. They all have CF registrations which was then the area Mark for Mid Suffolk and Babergh
There is also second right a CE plate from Cambridgeshire - quite a trek in those days/ those cars! - and an RD plate from Reading. None now survive - I checked mostly because of CF9, issued in 1904 - a lot of these low number plates did survive because they could, and often were until 1920, be reissued, and up between 1955 & 1962 could be 'resurrected' on payment of a £5 fee.
My father still has VG3 which has been in the family since it was first issued to my Great Grandfather in 1904 for his 1903 De Dion Bouton by Norfolk County Council when registrations were introduced
Sorry to be a pedant but VG 3 was issued in August 1927 (yes, by Norwich). The first plates issued in 1904 (up to 1927) were CL.

M3DGE

1,807 posts

112 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
generationx said:
manorcom said:
50 years ago yesterday. Ad in Melody Maker....Win a Capri.
Wow - 20 pounds spending money each!
How about... three blank cassettes for 47 shillings!! That is £2.35.. or around £35 adjusted for inflation! I grew up with cassettes in the 80s and by then they were pence rather than pounds...

sc42

11 posts

86 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
M3DGE said:
ClaphamGT3 said:
M3DGE said:
ClaphamGT3 said:
nicanary said:
Far right probably a Lanchester, far left possibly an Austin. The central cars could be a mix of de Dion-Bouton and Renault.
The two in the middle, driven by women are definitely De Dion Boutons. They all have CF registrations which was then the area Mark for Mid Suffolk and Babergh
There is also second right a CE plate from Cambridgeshire - quite a trek in those days/ those cars! - and an RD plate from Reading. None now survive - I checked mostly because of CF9, issued in 1904 - a lot of these low number plates did survive because they could, and often were until 1920, be reissued, and up between 1955 & 1962 could be 'resurrected' on payment of a £5 fee.
My father still has VG3 which has been in the family since it was first issued to my Great Grandfather in 1904 for his 1903 De Dion Bouton by Norfolk County Council when registrations were introduced
Sorry to be a pedant but VG 3 was issued in August 1927 (yes, by Norwich). The first plates issued in 1904 (up to 1927) were CL.
Thank you for the responses, interesting to see that two of the six drivers are women.

Hugo a Gogo

22,512 posts

181 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
why not, the first ever long drive was by a woman, Bertha Benz

velocemitch

2,741 posts

168 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
Old photo of Wetherby which is floating about on Facebook. Quite a few 1970's Cars to pick over here.


soxboy

3,254 posts

167 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
velocemitch said:
Old photo of Wetherby which is floating about on Facebook. Quite a few 1970's Cars to pick over here.

Looks like a silver 911 outside my old office. I could actually probably guess who owned it too!

Dapster

3,311 posts

128 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
velocemitch said:
Old photo of Wetherby which is floating about on Facebook. Quite a few 1970's Cars to pick over here.

The white Carlton and XJ series 3 tell me the pic is newer than it looks but the black Vauxhall Nova dates this to 1982 at the earliest.

P5BNij

4,517 posts

54 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
Somewhere in Italy, a gorgeous Mangusta…


aeropilot

19,086 posts

175 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Somewhere in Italy, a gorgeous Mangusta…

Odds on it being somewhere in or around Modena area.


daimlerv8

1,730 posts

28 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
williamp said:
manorcom said:
Help needed! Me and some friends have been straining our eyes to try and work out the car in this picture. Perhaps a Hillman Super Imp?
Sunbeam stiletto?
My quess is white knickers,with well worn elastic.....

laugh

52classic

1,705 posts

158 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
daimlerv8 said:
williamp said:
manorcom said:
Help needed! Me and some friends have been straining our eyes to try and work out the car in this picture. Perhaps a Hillman Super Imp?
Sunbeam stiletto?
I'll stick with my first guess - Singer Chamois, probably a Sport around '65/6. Sloping dash panel and stalks on the binnacle would be right.

2172cc

533 posts

45 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all

Posted this on the Lamborghini classics section but might go just as well here. GH11 is now showing as on an 1988 Mercedes.