A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

Author
Discussion

P5BNij

8,517 posts

70 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all


Boxer Brian London with his big cat....


21st Century Man

35,327 posts

212 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Blimey! A Blower and a MKVI.

Western Musketeer

14 posts

6 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
[quote=Martin350]That's me, in Bristol, I think somewhere around 1980.

[/quote


Regent Street// Clifton Hill border

Escort3500

7,951 posts

109 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
P5BNij said:
Blimey! A Blower and a MKVI.
That’s an eclectic collection smile

P5BNij

8,517 posts

70 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Unregistered Orions at Nottingham, January '88....


CRA1G

4,745 posts

159 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Unregistered Orions at Nottingham, January '88....

With the Sunroof's and RHR's they all look like 1.6i Ghia's aswel... I remember buying them registered with del miles but six month old from Avis rent a car and Hertz because Ford were over producing them and pushing them out to the big hire companies at huge discounts some who never even got them out on hire but couldn't sell them until six months old but still made a profit on them when they sold them...!

Gavarnie

42 posts

22 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
CRA1G said:
P5BNij said:
Unregistered Orions at Nottingham, January '88....

With the Sunroof's and RHR's they all look like 1.6i Ghia's aswel... I remember buying them registered with del miles but six month old from Avis rent a car and Hertz because Ford were over producing them and pushing them out to the big hire companies at huge discounts some who never even got them out on hire but couldn't sell them until six months old but still made a profit on them when they sold them...!
Well, that triggered a memory. I rented a zero mileage blue Orion in 1988 from our local car rental place. It was a 1.6 Ghia but an automatic so I think carburettor rather than injection. It seemed quite plush at the time.

bigothunter

915 posts

24 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Gavarnie said:
Well, that triggered a memory. I rented a zero mileage blue Orion in 1988 from our local car rental place. It was a 1.6 Ghia but an automatic so I think carburettor rather than injection. It seemed quite plush at the time.
I bet that drove well biglaugh

OptionalExtra

144 posts

13 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Not quite a Ferrari, but looks like a Lancia Montecarlo, negotiating Glasgow’s steep Blythswood Street in 1985 (much more successfully than the Tesla that came a cropper there last month in the snow, trying to go downhill laugh).

A check of the number plate on the DVLA reveals that it seems to still be out there somewhere, on SORN.




Mr Tidy

13,732 posts

91 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
CRA1G said:
With the Sunroof's and RHR's they all look like 1.6i Ghia's aswel... I remember buying them registered with del miles but six month old from Avis rent a car and Hertz because Ford were over producing them and pushing them out to the big hire companies at huge discounts some who never even got them out on hire but couldn't sell them until six months old but still made a profit on them when they sold them...!
That makes sense. Around then my sister took her family to Jersey on holiday and was thrilled to get a nearly new Orion Ghia as her hire car.

Western Musketeer

14 posts

6 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Mr Tidy said:
That makes sense. Around then my sister took her family to Jersey on holiday and was thrilled to get a nearly new Orion Ghia as her hire car.
Late 80's bought a 1500 mile ex channel island Fiesta 1.1Ghia from BCA in Cardiff. They had hundreds of Fiestas and Metro going through a month. Some didn't even have double digits mileage - below a certain mileage they had VAT charged on them but the bidding was lower to account for this. Mine cost about £4500

Yertis

16,072 posts

230 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Western Musketeer said:
Martin350 said:
That's me, in Bristol, I think somewhere around 1980.

[/quote


Regent Street// Clifton Hill border
That's where I park when I go up to the hardware store. Last time I was there a chap asked me if it would be OK for his lad to have a closer look at "the racing Audi", which of course I was happy to oblige. The digital dash going to '188mph' remains impressive it seems.

P5BNij

8,517 posts

70 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Mallory Park in '67, the Broadspeed Mini fastback now resides in Japan....


Dapster

5,093 posts

144 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
OptionalExtra said:
A check of the number plate on the DVLA reveals that it seems to still be out there somewhere, on SORN.

Some interesting cars there - the aforementioned Lancia of course, and also the early Mk 2 Golf, Merc C107 and Citroen GS in the background. You seem to have forgotten to photoshop the R16 in but apart from that, great pic!

Turbobanana

2,945 posts

165 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Dapster said:
OptionalExtra said:
A check of the number plate on the DVLA reveals that it seems to still be out there somewhere, on SORN.

Some interesting cars there - the aforementioned Lancia of course, and also the early Mk 2 Golf, Merc C107 and Citroen GS in the background. You seem to have forgotten to photoshop the R16 in but apart from that, great pic!
Tut, tut - no Renault 16s. Bonus point for the early SWB Shogun in the background though.

P5BNij

8,517 posts

70 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all



Rostfritt

2,859 posts

115 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Western Musketeer said:
Late 80's bought a 1500 mile ex channel island Fiesta 1.1Ghia from BCA in Cardiff. They had hundreds of Fiestas and Metro going through a month. Some didn't even have double digits mileage - below a certain mileage they had VAT charged on them but the bidding was lower to account for this. Mine cost about £4500
Sounds like a strange rule, but that is VAT. I wonder if they ever just drove one around for a bit until it went over, or clocked them upwards?

I remember my Auntie ended up with an ex-Jersey car around that time. Apparently when she sold it on she got in trouble as it was older than the reg number. Before a certain date they didn't register used imports with the correct plate.

Johnspex

3,036 posts

148 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Mallory Park in '67, the Broadspeed Mini fastback now resides in Japan....

They really didn't that poor Mini any favours in the looks department.

V6 Pushfit

16,208 posts

74 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Tax due in 1984, so lasted about 10 years!

Escort3500

7,951 posts

109 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Johnspex said:
P5BNij said:
Mallory Park in '67, the Broadspeed Mini fastback now resides in Japan....

They really didn't that poor Mini any favours in the looks department.
Have to agree. It’s like a bad cut ‘n’ shut job