A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

Author
Discussion

aeropilot

24,733 posts

195 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
RichB said:
Ah, used to go to Northolt swimming baths when they were new. Had a girlfriend who lived in Greenford and we used to like the Litten in Oldfield Lane... beer
Hah, nearly drowned in Northolt swimming pool as a young kid, got fished out by the instructor who had to drive in laugh

The Litten Tree was my local when in my late teens, only had half a mile stagger home from there smile


tog

4,041 posts

196 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
Hah, nearly drowned in Northolt swimming pool as a young kid, got fished out by the instructor who had to drive in
Was he driving a Rolls-Royce, high on coke? Isn't that how you are supposed to drive into a pool?

aeropilot

24,733 posts

195 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
tog said:
aeropilot said:
Hah, nearly drowned in Northolt swimming pool as a young kid, got fished out by the instructor who had to drive in
Was he driving a Rolls-Royce, high on coke? Isn't that how you are supposed to drive into a pool?
Teach me to type on here during a boring teams meeting and not looking at what I was typing.... whistle

Johnspex

3,211 posts

152 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
RichB said:
Ah, used to go to Northolt swimming baths when they were new. Had a girlfriend who lived in Greenford and we used to like the Litten in Oldfield Lane... beer
Hah, nearly drowned in Northolt swimming pool as a young kid, got fished out by the instructor who had to drive in laugh

The Litten Tree was my local when in my late teens, only had half a mile stagger home from there smile
I had my wedding reception there.

Johnspex

3,211 posts

152 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
RichB said:
aeropilot said:
But that term was in widespread use in the UK until well into the 1960's, even after most of the British makers had started building factory estate cars in the early/mid 1960's. I can still remember my uncle (born in 1918) using the term to describe an estate car well into the 1970's..!!
You must have been posh!
Hardly...!
Being brought up on the borders of Northolt and Greenford, not far from you.

My uncle though was an army man, and retired from the Army in 1960 after 22 years service, having spent well over 3/4 of that time overseas, so that probably accounts for his use of the term a lot more than my Dad did (or others I grew up around)
Borders of Northolt and Greenford That's Southall, isn't it??

aeropilot

24,733 posts

195 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Johnspex said:
aeropilot said:
RichB said:
Ah, used to go to Northolt swimming baths when they were new. Had a girlfriend who lived in Greenford and we used to like the Litten in Oldfield Lane... beer
Hah, nearly drowned in Northolt swimming pool as a young kid, got fished out by the instructor who had to drive in laugh

The Litten Tree was my local when in my late teens, only had half a mile stagger home from there smile
I had my wedding reception there.
It was a sad day when they demolished it frown

RichB

45,495 posts

252 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
... (the Litten) It was a sad day when they demolished it frown
I remember giving my first 'proper' girlfriend her Christmas present there back in '73 (and no that's not a euphemism). I thought the Litten was quite posh and romantic with all the twinkly Xmas lights so I took here there just before Christmas and sealed an ongoing relationship with gift wrapped perfume. Probably cheap and nasty but it was the first time I'd ever bought a girl perfume hehe

p.s. I don't think it had the 'tree' bit in its name in the '70s.

p.p.s. I am digressing... I drove a 1956 MG ZB Magnette at the time.

Escort3500

8,294 posts

113 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
A street scene from Scarborough with the wonderful Rowntree’s department store; demolished in the late eighties to be replaced by an utterly characterless shopping mall.

The Series ll Humber Super Snipe adds a shot of American-style glamour to the street scene. But what’s the car approaching the camera from the left? My initial thoughts were an Opel or Borgward, but Googling produced no match so it’s over to the PH community...


Dan Singh

307 posts

18 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
I think you were on the right lines with Borgward, looks like a P100.

Dapster

5,385 posts

148 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Escort3500 said:
A street scene from Scarborough with the wonderful Rowntree’s department store; demolished in the late eighties to be replaced by an utterly characterless shopping mall.

Unless it was dilapidated and dangerous, it beggars belief that buildings like that were pulled down and replaced

johnpsanderson

265 posts

168 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Dan Singh said:
I think you were on the right lines with Borgward, looks like a P100.
Presumably the photo is too old for it to be a Landcrab?

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

26,684 posts

203 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Dapster said:
Unless it was dilapidated and dangerous, it beggars belief that buildings like that were pulled down and replaced
This



Was replaced by this in Nottingham:



weeping

moffspeed

1,579 posts

175 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
I was thinking Cresta PA/Velox but the radiator grille seems to have a crossbar which the VXs didn’t- unless it is a trick of the light.

Defo not a Landcrab though.

Onwards...

Escort3500

8,294 posts

113 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Dapster said:
Escort3500 said:
A street scene from Scarborough with the wonderful Rowntree’s department store; demolished in the late eighties to be replaced by an utterly characterless shopping mall.

Unless it was dilapidated and dangerous, it beggars belief that buildings like that were pulled down and replaced
I’m not aware it was structurally unsound/hazardous. It was replaced by this excrescence... furious


21st Century Man

35,788 posts

216 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
We committed a huge number of crimes against heritage in those days, albeit sometimes with the best of intentions. I live in a World Heritage site, we still have our East Mill, but the others were demolished in the sixties which is now much regretted. Our North Mill rivalled St Paul's.

52classic

2,002 posts

178 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Escort3500 said:
A street scene from Scarborough with the wonderful Rowntree’s department store; demolished in the late eighties to be replaced by an utterly characterless shopping mall.

The Series ll Humber Super Snipe adds a shot of American-style glamour to the street scene. But what’s the car approaching the camera from the left? My initial thoughts were an Opel or Borgward, but Googling produced no match so it’s over to the PH community...

Opel Kapitan? I remember a lovely Dinky Toys model of one.

Trip

15 posts

58 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
It's definitely no Kapitän, neither P- nor P-LV-series. Looks american or .... even russian(?) to me.

52classic

2,002 posts

178 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
The model I had in mind was a P2. Still not sure it isn't TBH. Do we think that it has a foreign number plate or UK?

Lily the Pink

3,833 posts

138 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Trip said:
It's definitely no Kapitän, neither P- nor P-LV-series. Looks american or .... even russian(?) to me.
i'm also thinking Eastern Bloc, or possibly American. Grill looks remarkably like a Mark1 Cortina, but the bumper's wrong.

RichB

45,495 posts

252 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Lily the Pink said:
Trip said:
It's definitely no Kapitän, neither P- nor P-LV-series. Looks american or .... even russian(?) to me.
i'm also thinking Eastern Bloc, or possibly American. Grill looks remarkably like a Mark1 Cortina, but the bumper's wrong.
You mentioning Cortina made me think of Ford Taunus P4 ...