A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

Author
Discussion

OptionalExtra

156 posts

15 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
Yes, pretty sure you’re right. I retract my criticism of the lack of resilience of 1970s Mazdas. smile

OptionalExtra

156 posts

15 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
Clydebank Town Hall, 1963. The Ford Consul seems to have lost its offside headlamp and indicator lenses.


Lily the Pink

3,676 posts

136 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
moffspeed said:
Rejoice, Curry’s have arrived in the High St.

Plenty of porridge here, pick of the bunch would be the P5B, the MGB GT seems to be sitting pleasingly low so maybe “sorted”. Another R12 and the top of an R4. Volvo 240 could be US spec with that rear wing light lens, someone is learning to drive in that ? Mazda. Fiat Strada in 2nd photo will probably be a pile of rust by the time it reaches the cameraman.
Isn't that an XJ parked behind the CF - possibly even an XJC - if so, then that would surely be the pick of the bunch. ?

mywifeshusband

533 posts

164 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
I think the 245 may be a 145.

Hugo a Gogo

22,976 posts

199 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
Dapster said:
Bottom pic - what are the 2 big saloons?

Between the Polo and the Fiesta on the left? Mk 2 Granada?

Behind the Maxi on the right? Opel Rekord? The Rekord and droopy nose Carlton were sold concurrently in the UK weren't they?

Edited by Dapster on Sunday 9th May 08:43
Record was a Cavalier, that's either an Opel Senator, or the Vauxhall Royale which became a Vauxhall Senator in later years

Turbobanana

3,015 posts

167 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
Hugo a Gogo said:
Record was a Cavalier, that's either an Opel Senator, or the Vauxhall Royale which became a Vauxhall Senator in later years
Ascona was the Cavalier, no?

finlo

2,357 posts

169 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
Turbobanana said:
Hugo a Gogo said:
Record was a Cavalier, that's either an Opel Senator, or the Vauxhall Royale which became a Vauxhall Senator in later years
Ascona was the Cavalier, no?
Yes.

aeropilot

24,426 posts

193 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
Hugo a Gogo said:
Dapster said:
Bottom pic - what are the 2 big saloons?

Between the Polo and the Fiesta on the left? Mk 2 Granada?

Behind the Maxi on the right? Opel Rekord? The Rekord and droopy nose Carlton were sold concurrently in the UK weren't they?

Edited by Dapster on Sunday 9th May 08:43
Record was a Cavalier, that's either an Opel Senator, or the Vauxhall Royale which became a Vauxhall Senator in later years
As said above, no it wasn't.
And no its not a Senator/Royale.

Dapster

5,274 posts

146 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
It's a fancy pants Rekord with headlamp wipers!





Edited by Dapster on Monday 10th May 17:07

Hugo a Gogo

22,976 posts

199 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
Oh yeah, Ascona was the Cavalier, of course!

Still, the one in the street scene is a Senator/Royale

aeropilot

24,426 posts

193 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
Hugo a Gogo said:
Still, the one in the street scene is a Senator/Royale
No its not.

finlo

2,357 posts

169 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
I'm going to chuck in a Carlton or Viceroy!

Hugo a Gogo

22,976 posts

199 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
No its not.
Why not

aeropilot

24,426 posts

193 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
Hugo a Gogo said:
aeropilot said:
No its not.
Why not
See Dapster post above.

Its a Rekord.
Its even got the standard steel wheels that all the Rekord's had.

Hugo a Gogo

22,976 posts

199 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
See Dapster post above.

Its a Rekord.
Its even got the standard steel wheels that all the Rekord's had.
You've got a good eye to spot steel wheels
And the one in Dapster's post has alloys

Show me a pic of a Rekord with the fancy headlamp wipers and I might believe you

finlo

2,357 posts

169 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
I
Its even got the standard steel wheels that all the Rekord's had.
Apart from that red onebiggrin

Dapster

5,274 posts

146 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
The giveaway to me is that the Rekord had square headlights and the Senator/Royale had lights that sloped slightly at the grill. The car in the b&w street pic has square headlights. The Viceroy / Royale / Senator all had fancier chrome edged or egg crate grilles too




Rekord


Senator



Edited by Dapster on Monday 10th May 19:37

Hugo a Gogo

22,976 posts

199 months

Monday 10th May
quotequote all
I'm going goggle eyed staring at it, it looked more sloped to me, but now I'm not sure any more. Either way there's not much in it

But I might concede defeat based on the straight leading edge of the bonnet

Edited by Hugo a Gogo on Monday 10th May 20:22

P5BNij

8,857 posts

72 months

Thursday 13th May
quotequote all
Fiat 130 Coupe production at the Pininfarina factory....




aeropilot

24,426 posts

193 months

Thursday 13th May
quotequote all
finlo said:
aeropilot said:
I
Its even got the standard steel wheels that all the Rekord's had.
Apart from that red onebiggrin
The red one is German market Berlina. Very few Berlina versions of the Rekord sold in the UK. I can't really recall ever seeing many of them back in the day. Ascona Berlina/SR's were more common, but not the top of the range Rekord Berlina.