S1 Elise Values

S1 Elise Values

Author
Discussion

blueovercream

118 posts

48 months

Wednesday 6th May
quotequote all
On paper the S160 would be the pick of the S1s for me, even for the idle alone. The 111S appealed for its slight hike in power and relative rarity vs standard.

I ended up going for a standard S1 though (in August last year) on the grounds that S160s and indeed 111Ss just didn't seem worth the often £10k premium over a standard car. Realistically priced, mine had been up less than a week when I bought and had apparently attracted a lot of interest from the UK and abroad. Cars of a similar mileage that were £2-3k more just weren't selling.

A couple of the 160s/111Ss that were for sale when I was looking (really from spring 2019) are still on sale just now. I wonder when sellers start considering that they might be asking too much.

highway

Original Poster:

1,249 posts

217 months

Wednesday 6th May
quotequote all
If you want an Elise then you want an Elise. I regularly sway between wanting to tweak mine for a bit more power vs keeping it standard vs selling for a post 17 220.

For UK roads there is some pleasure in being able to rev the car out, without hitting bonkers speed like you would be in the modern legion of hum drum 300 bhp cars

Moospeed

423 posts

222 months

Wednesday 6th May
quotequote all
blueovercream said:
On paper the S160 would be the pick of the S1s for me, even for the idle alone. The 111S appealed for its slight hike in power and relative rarity vs standard.

I ended up going for a standard S1 though (in August last year) on the grounds that S160s and indeed 111Ss just didn't seem worth the often £10k premium over a standard car. Realistically priced, mine had been up less than a week when I bought and had apparently attracted a lot of interest from the UK and abroad. Cars of a similar mileage that were £2-3k more just weren't selling.

A couple of the 160s/111Ss that were for sale when I was looking (really from spring 2019) are still on sale just now. I wonder when sellers start considering that they might be asking too much.
There's a lot to be said for "originality", or "correctness of spec" at least when it comes to the 160 buyer. It's a bit like the Cayman R market where "the wrong seats" is a common terminology, even though they were an option without fixed carbon buckets.

When I was looking I didn't consider any 160 which didn't have the right seats for instance. Bit daft when I could've saved maybe £3k and bought a set of the right seats for £1.5k but there you go... it does make a difference.


SidewaysSi

7,753 posts

191 months

Wednesday 6th May
quotequote all
Moospeed said:
blueovercream said:
On paper the S160 would be the pick of the S1s for me, even for the idle alone. The 111S appealed for its slight hike in power and relative rarity vs standard.

I ended up going for a standard S1 though (in August last year) on the grounds that S160s and indeed 111Ss just didn't seem worth the often £10k premium over a standard car. Realistically priced, mine had been up less than a week when I bought and had apparently attracted a lot of interest from the UK and abroad. Cars of a similar mileage that were £2-3k more just weren't selling.

A couple of the 160s/111Ss that were for sale when I was looking (really from spring 2019) are still on sale just now. I wonder when sellers start considering that they might be asking too much.
There's a lot to be said for "originality", or "correctness of spec" at least when it comes to the 160 buyer. It's a bit like the Cayman R market where "the wrong seats" is a common terminology, even though they were an option without fixed carbon buckets.

When I was looking I didn't consider any 160 which didn't have the right seats for instance. Bit daft when I could've saved maybe £3k and bought a set of the right seats for £1.5k but there you go... it does make a difference.
I have gone the other way and modified the hell out of my Sport 160 and now it is absolutely sublime smile

I created the car I wanted and I personally don't give a crap about values as that's not why I bought it. I bought it because for me it is now the ultimate road and track car for sensibleish money.

It is a special thing and as immersive as any Caterham, something no standard Sport 160 or any Elise ever will be.

And yes, the seats aren't original. Thank God. smile

Moospeed

423 posts

222 months

Monday 11th May
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
I have gone the other way and modified the hell out of my Sport 160 and now it is absolutely sublime smile

I created the car I wanted and I personally don't give a crap about values as that's not why I bought it. I bought it because for me it is now the ultimate road and track car for sensibleish money.

It is a special thing and as immersive as any Caterham, something no standard Sport 160 or any Elise ever will be.

And yes, the seats aren't original. Thank God. smile
Oh yeah, I'm not knocking it - I also don't care that much about values, it was before the prices went up so no-one knew they'd go where they went. But I must admit I ended up chasing the originality having had one from before.

I'm not against modifieds at all, I had an R32-engined S1 - that was based on an original, and just as rare Sport 135 smokin

BREMBOV6

386 posts

105 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all
bencollins4 said:
Guess that's the car up in Scotland? Looks a fair price to be honest.

None of us no where the market is headed for sure but I would expect the Elise S1 market to be a stable as any and chances are you wouldn't lose much after a year or so.

I had an S1 as an only car but that was 12 years ago now. Much prefer using mine sparingly now in good weather which keeps it feeling special. Plenty still daily them though and I love the idea but have too many 350 miles days with work to consider it.

My Elise's have been pretty much the cheapest cars I have owned and certainly the most enjoyable.
Without trying to belittle anyone I purchased and owned the Elise S1 from May until very late June. Sadly it was returned to the garage where I bought it from for a number of reasons. Any potential owner I'd highly recommend calling the Lotus Specialist in Edinburgh, unbelievably helpful. Learnt a lot in what to check when buying so on the hunt once again for an S1! (hopefully)

highway

Original Poster:

1,249 posts

217 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all
As the OP here I’ve very much enjoyed my remaining S1 111S which I kept having sold my other Elise more or less this time last year. A nice chap was willing to buy my car a few weeks ago at asking price but I procrastinated on selling and now he bought another car. It’s time for this car to go to a new owner. Much as I’m a massive advocate of the S1 I think I need something a little less uncompromising. At the moment prices for all cars seem hot so likely a good time to sell.

Kananga

951 posts

113 months

Thursday 9th July
quotequote all
Just spotted this in the classifieds and it looks lovely !!

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10539100

@highway: is this yours ?

Rollin

4,903 posts

202 months

Thursday 9th July
quotequote all
Can't decide whether to sell my standard S1.
Been in storage for 9 years until I spent £3000 getting it back on the road last October.
1 owner 24000 miles. MMCs, S2 suspension, eliseparts stainless exhaust, hurricane.
Are they selling at present?
What do you think it's worth to a dealer?