The Volvo S90/V90 lease thread

The Volvo S90/V90 lease thread

Author
Discussion

hoganscrogan

674 posts

243 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
Having just bought a 3 year old XC90 I looked into service and warranty situation for used ones, I'm going to stick with official Volvo services based on what I found.

Find out service costs at any Volvo center - (lift an autotrader reg plate if you don't yet have a car).
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/workshop-booking/

The discussed service for a 2018 V90, 3rd and 4th years, are quoted by Volvo Swindon at;

3 years/54k - £310
4 years/72k - £480

Year 1 and 2 were same prices, alternates between the two it seems, you can negotiate and shop around.

Something to remember for out of warranty cars, if you get a Volvo service done it includes 12months of decent comprehensive breakdown and recovery (something you'd be paying for on a used car) and they update all the software to the latest version, important on the SPA cars as there are quite big upgrades and enhancements in these updates, auto drive for example.

Details of 'Volvo service promise' below:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/maintenance/servi...

Software update log
https://www.volvocars.com/au/support/topics/mainte...

Volvo assistance which can be directly accessed via 'On Call' button in car or app on phone
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/maintenance/volvo...

Volvo On Call
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/human-innovatio...


Edited by hoganscrogan on Thursday 22 October 08:42

Whataguy

47 posts

39 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
The service quotes online also assume you have done the maximum interval miles, so sometimes the price includes a cambelt when it may not actually due yet.

The quote for mine was £900+ for the next service, when the actual cost will be half that based on miles traveled.

Volvo main dealer service schedules also seem to include more work than others - eg changing the cabin air filter yearly on some models when other manufacturers might be only every 4 years.

Volvo assistance is also very much worth it - my dad has an old V70 and they have come out a few times and given excellent service wherever you are. A great advantage is that if the dealers are closed they will put you in a hire car and hold yours in a secure compound overnight before delivering it to the nearest dealer when they open next day.

Edited by Whataguy on Thursday 22 October 10:47


Edited by Whataguy on Thursday 22 October 10:48


Edited by Whataguy on Thursday 22 October 10:48


Edited by Whataguy on Thursday 22 October 10:48

Toastovhudds

78 posts

44 months

Thursday 29th October
quotequote all
Anyone sent their V90 back recently?
Did you get a price list of excess charges for scuffed wheels, paint scuffs etc?

Mine is due back early December. I didn't take up the Covid extension as I didn't need it and would rather have the driveway space.
Taking a break from leasing and into a shed commuter for a while.

hoganscrogan

674 posts

243 months

Thursday 29th October
quotequote all
Toastovhudds said:
Anyone sent their V90 back recently?
Did you get a price list of excess charges for scuffed wheels, paint scuffs etc?

Mine is due back early December. I didn't take up the Covid extension as I didn't need it and would rather have the driveway space.
Taking a break from leasing and into a shed commuter for a while.
No online pricelist like VW/BMW- but from a few page back....

V90 Finally collected yesterday by BCA

Charged for 2 x alloy wheel gouges, all 4 had some nicks one was from hitting cobble on road that also burst a tyre!
BCA report >>>Scuffed rim only over 50mm Up to 2mm deep Refurb Alloy Wheel £60.00 (x 2)


5+ scratches gouges on rear bumper lip
BCA report >>>>Bumper rear Paint chips More than 4 Repaint 150.00

Sure it would have cost me more to sort out myself, I would have probably done all 4 wheels, plus a nick on front bumper and 'seatbelt trapped in door' dent in door aperture.


I can also confirm that I got the COVID 3 months extension and paid no extra for the extra months! BMW however have added the 3 months onto my remaining payments frown

senwar

37 posts

108 months

Thursday 5th November
quotequote all
Read quite a number of pages and see people's experience of early termination - wonder if anyone could help (albeit an XC40, but Volvo/Santander lease)

I'm ending mine 5 months early and requested a settlement figure. When it came, it didn't equate to 50% from what I could see so asked for a breakdown. Was sent the following:

The early termination fee is calculated based on 50% of the unadjusted rental which this would have been the amount before the initial payment is taken into consideration which reduced this to your agreed monthly rental. Upon the vehicle being returned during an early termination the credit control department would review the initial payment paid and dependent of how much was paid if applicable they would arrange for a pro-rated refund to be raised based on the days in possession of the vehicle. Below is a breakdown of the calculation used.

ET of £917.80 is 50% of unadjusted outstanding rentals: 1 x £1,934.10 + 35 x £322.35 divided by 36 months = unadjusted rental of £367.12 £367.12 x 5 - 50% = £917.80

Am I right in reading that this may lead to a pro rata refund after I have made payment/returned vehicle? Or a pro rata refund will be calculated and deducted from £917.80?

If I'm working things out right, I have currently paid (ex-VAT) £11604.60. Total payment due over term is £13216.35 leaving £1601.75 remaining of which 50% is £805.88. However, using unadjusted figure above, 31 payments at £367.12 I 'should' have paid £11380.72, leaving £1835.60, and the £917.80 is half of that.

So I've actually paid £224 more than I would have unadjusted - therefore a pro rata refund of £112, bringing my payment back to £805?

I know that's complex above but I think I'm right?

talksthetorque

8,211 posts

94 months

Thursday 5th November
quotequote all
senwar said:
Read quite a number of pages and see people's experience of early termination - wonder if anyone could help (albeit an XC40, but Volvo/Santander lease)

I'm ending mine 5 months early and requested a settlement figure. When it came, it didn't equate to 50% from what I could see so asked for a breakdown. Was sent the following:

The early termination fee is calculated based on 50% of the unadjusted rental which this would have been the amount before the initial payment is taken into consideration which reduced this to your agreed monthly rental. Upon the vehicle being returned during an early termination the credit control department would review the initial payment paid and dependent of how much was paid if applicable they would arrange for a pro-rated refund to be raised based on the days in possession of the vehicle. Below is a breakdown of the calculation used.

ET of £917.80 is 50% of unadjusted outstanding rentals: 1 x £1,934.10 + 35 x £322.35 divided by 36 months = unadjusted rental of £367.12 £367.12 x 5 - 50% = £917.80

Am I right in reading that this may lead to a pro rata refund after I have made payment/returned vehicle? Or a pro rata refund will be calculated and deducted from £917.80?

If I'm working things out right, I have currently paid (ex-VAT) £11604.60. Total payment due over term is £13216.35 leaving £1601.75 remaining of which 50% is £805.88. However, using unadjusted figure above, 31 payments at £367.12 I 'should' have paid £11380.72, leaving £1835.60, and the £917.80 is half of that.

So I've actually paid £224 more than I would have unadjusted - therefore a pro rata refund of £112, bringing my payment back to £805?

I know that's complex above but I think I'm right?
50% of (Total amount payable over duration of lease minus the amount you have already paid )
is what you owe them.
I believe that they don't charge you VAT on termination fee, but I'm not sure about that - perhaps someone else can clarify. Failing that aske the question in the general leasing questions thread ( but definitely not the best lease deals one )


senwar

37 posts

108 months

Friday 6th November
quotequote all
talksthetorque said:
50% of (Total amount payable over duration of lease minus the amount you have already paid )
is what you owe them.
I believe that they don't charge you VAT on termination fee, but I'm not sure about that - perhaps someone else can clarify. Failing that aske the question in the general leasing questions thread ( but definitely not the best lease deals one )
Thanks - so that comes back to £805.88

senwar said:
If I'm working things out right, I have currently paid (ex-VAT) £11604.60. Total payment due over term is £13216.35 leaving £1601.75 remaining of which 50% is £805.88.
Wasn't aware of the VAT element - thanks for the pointer re: the leasing questions thread, I'll have a look through there and ask the question if needs be.

ajguk

128 posts

31 months

Monday 9th November
quotequote all
Got my V90 on December 4th last year so coming up to 12 months of ownership.

I've had the service reminder come up now, I'm with Lex Autolease - does anyone know if I need to go to the main dealer, or can I go elsewhere for less money? I've seen various comments about them price-matching Halfords etc.

What sort of ballpark should I be looking at for the first service?

FWIW

1,688 posts

56 months

Monday 9th November
quotequote all
ajguk said:
Got my V90 on December 4th last year so coming up to 12 months of ownership.

I've had the service reminder come up now, I'm with Lex Autolease - does anyone know if I need to go to the main dealer, or can I go elsewhere for less money? I've seen various comments about them price-matching Halfords etc.

What sort of ballpark should I be looking at for the first service?
I paid about 250 with main dealer. They said they wouldn't pricematch halfords because it wasn't like for like and didn't include software. Halfords claimed it was like for like but didn't have a clue about software...so not like for like...

ajguk

128 posts

31 months

Monday 9th November
quotequote all
FWIW said:
I paid about 250 with main dealer. They said they wouldn't pricematch halfords because it wasn't like for like and didn't include software. Halfords claimed it was like for like but didn't have a clue about software...so not like for like...
Ok great, I'll give them a call.....need the recall work doing too

maccas99

1,194 posts

147 months

Tuesday 10th November
quotequote all
ajguk said:
Ok great, I'll give them a call.....need the recall work doing too
Give all the Volvo dealers a call in your area and get the lowest price, then go to the dealer you want to use and they should price match, worked for me.

Redchaz

48 posts

45 months

Monday 16th November
quotequote all
Just fyi I had a call from Santander earlier offering me a 2nd 6 month extension on my V90 D4 R Design at the same rate (£200 a month) to take it up to a 3 year lease. I have accepted it although I was surprised the call came from Santander as I have had zero contact with them for the previous 2.5 years, just with Volvo Car Financial Services, and I don't have a bank account with them. Anyway, a cheap further 6 months motoring.
I am very impressed with the car for long distance wafting although I dislike the sluggish gearbox intensely !

vodkamartini1

298 posts

26 months

Tuesday 17th November
quotequote all
Redchaz said:
Just fyi I had a call from Santander earlier offering me a 2nd 6 month extension on my V90 D4 R Design at the same rate (£200 a month) to take it up to a 3 year lease. I have accepted it although I was surprised the call came from Santander as I have had zero contact with them for the previous 2.5 years, just with Volvo Car Financial Services, and I don't have a bank account with them. Anyway, a cheap further 6 months motoring.
I am very impressed with the car for long distance wafting although I dislike the sluggish gearbox intensely !
That's a great offer, too hard to turn down considering how barren the leasing market is currently. When they've contacted you, how close to the end of your lease deal were/are you?

I'm approaching 6 months until the end of my 24 month deal and there isn't much around, so would be tempted if they offered me the same (£265 a month on my S90 R Design) as an extension. But, I'd have to shell out over £500 for a 2nd service that I would otherwise avoid due to a COVID based delay on getting the 1st service.

So I don't think it would be worth it unless I could get a 12 month extension deal (and avoid a 3rd service)? Can't guarantee they'd offer a good price on another 6 months extension after a first extension.

Wackywoo105

92 posts

49 months

Tuesday 17th November
quotequote all
Has anyone who got the santander 18 month v90 cc t5 deal had an offer to extend? Before covid I was told around £10 per day for up to a month. I've had 3 free months. If no decent deals present and I can't extend I'm going to have to buy something.

maccas99

1,194 posts

147 months

Tuesday 17th November
quotequote all
Wackywoo105 said:
Has anyone who got the santander 18 month v90 cc t5 deal had an offer to extend? Before covid I was told around £10 per day for up to a month. I've had 3 free months. If no decent deals present and I can't extend I'm going to have to buy something.
We are on this deal and ours runs out in June and we've had the 3 free months. Based on the other posts just above yours I would say they will probably offer an extension due to the current climate. If you've not heard from them maybe give them a call?

Redchaz

48 posts

45 months

Tuesday 17th November
quotequote all
vodkamartini1 said:
That's a great offer, too hard to turn down considering how barren the leasing market is currently. When they've contacted you, how close to the end of your lease deal were/are you?

I'm approaching 6 months until the end of my 24 month deal and there isn't much around, so would be tempted if they offered me the same (£265 a month on my S90 R Design) as an extension. But, I'd have to shell out over £500 for a 2nd service that I would otherwise avoid due to a COVID based delay on getting the 1st service.

So I don't think it would be worth it unless I could get a 12 month extension deal (and avoid a 3rd service)? Can't guarantee they'd offer a good price on another 6 months extension after a first extension.


So they contacted me with my extended lease ( currently 24 mths plus an extra 6 mths) due to expire mid December. I had already contacted Volvo CFS a few weeks ago to confirm collection by BCA. Then the call from Santander came through yesterday morning offering the additional 6 months. So currently I am aiming to give the car back just prior to the 3rd year service and MOT. One thing I do need to check and haven't yet is the state of the tyres. They ought to be excellent with loads of tread as I am currently on 15k miles and drive like a monk !

Mikebentley

2,059 posts

99 months

Tuesday 17th November
quotequote all
Santander reduced our monthlies in the early summer when I advised them my wife is only doing 8k pa not the scheduled 13k pa. it came down from £240 ish to £212 pm. They have been very good to deal with.

talksthetorque

8,211 posts

94 months

Tuesday 17th November
quotequote all
New front boots here. 245 45 18 but a decent choice available. Paying for it myself this time as I have previously included maintenance so ended up with some Goodyear f1asymmetric 3s for £250 the pair fitted. Surprisingly kwik fit mobile cheaper than the usual
Local suspects, once I’d used the free mobile fitting code.
Initial thoughts on the tyres are it still feels like a wallowy barge that understeers.

Mikebentley

2,059 posts

99 months

Wednesday 18th November
quotequote all
talksthetorque said:
New front boots here. 245 45 18 but a decent choice available. Paying for it myself this time as I have previously included maintenance so ended up with some Goodyear f1asymmetric 3s for £250 the pair fitted. Surprisingly kwik fit mobile cheaper than the usual
Local suspects, once I’d used the free mobile fitting code.
Initial thoughts on the tyres are it still feels like a wallowy barge that understeers.
They must be the right tyres then. But what a comfortable lazy barge to roll around in though.

biglummox

49 posts

25 months

Wednesday 18th November
quotequote all
I just had a call this morning from Santander offering me the 6 month extension. I wasn't going to bother, but given the prices for everything else at the moment I decided to go ahead (currently paying £190 per month).

My initial lease was only 18 months, so I queried about giving it back before the 2 year service, and as long as I give them 28 days notice, I can give it back at any time without incurring any additional charge.

So basically I'll keep it for another 5 months at the original price, and then will send it back. Happy with that.