RE: Fastest Mini debuts at Geneva

RE: Fastest Mini debuts at Geneva

Author
Discussion

Raify

6,552 posts

219 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
runnersp said:
Should torquesteer for England (or Germany...).


I shouldn't imagine it will be that bad. The JCW works puts 210 through the front wheels without a LSD, hardly any torque steer.

wobert

3,814 posts

193 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
Raify said:
runnersp said:
Should torquesteer for England (or Germany...).


I shouldn't imagine it will be that bad. The JCW works puts 210 through the front wheels without a LSD, hardly any torque steer.


You can spec an LSD from the factory.....£100

Raify

6,552 posts

219 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
That's what I'm getting at. The 'standard' works copes with 210 without using a LSD, so an extra 8 ponies + LSD shouldn't be a problem...

uldis

251 posts

206 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
I thought the Minis struggled with 17" wheels, best was 16" when I last saw.
This one has 18"?

runnersp

1,061 posts

191 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
Wasn't aware of the LSD, suppose it shouldn't torquesteer then!

>> Edited by runnersp on Tuesday 21st February 14:50

wobert

3,814 posts

193 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
uldis said:
I thought the Minis struggled with 17" wheels, best was 16" when I last saw.
This one has 18"?


Depends on which wheels....S-Spokes (Minilite stylee) are the worst, cos they're the heaviest.......Bullets (17" 5 Spokes) are fine, as are 16"ers.......not driven one with 18s so can't comment, but have heard they do tramline somewhat.

Marki

15,763 posts

241 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
wobert said:
uldis said:
I thought the Minis struggled with 17" wheels, best was 16" when I last saw.
This one has 18"?


Depends on which wheels....S-Spokes (Minilite stylee) are the worst, cos they're the heaviest.......Bullets (17" 5 Spokes) are fine, as are 16"ers.......not driven one with 18s so can't comment, but have heard they do tramline somewhat.



Mine has 17" Minilites and mine tramlines like a bastad ,, i can not imagine how harsh the ride would be with 18s

baskey

14,271 posts

197 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
for my 10ps worth..!

i have a std mcs with 17" bullets and a slippery diff.

i personally feel that even the std mcs benefits from the lsd (they don't really torque steer anyway but i think it improves the situation!). also bullets are a fair bit lighter and then the bbs style 'kerb me if you dare' 17s are a bit lighter again.

i originally got the lsd wiuth a view to getting it worksed in the future but now it'll be a case of bbr/hartge/.. or nothing i think.

bad side of lsd is that, at low speed, you not only get unpleasant power steering groans but you get diff noises too..!

for the record i hate that new thing. as i have said before it's moving further away from what i regard as a decent mini aesthetically.

wobert

3,814 posts

193 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
baskey said:
for my 10ps worth..!

i have a std mcs with 17" bullets and a slippery diff.

i personally feel that even the std mcs benefits from the lsd (they don't really torque steer anyway but i think it improves the situation!). also bullets are a fair bit lighter and then the bbs style 'kerb me if you dare' 17s are a bit lighter again.

i originally got the lsd wiuth a view to getting it worksed in the future but now it'll be a case of bbr/hartge/.. or nothing i think.

bad side of lsd is that, at low speed, you not only get unpleasant power steering groans but you get diff noises too..!

for the record i hate that new thing. as i have said before it's moving further away from what i regard as a decent mini aesthetically.



Same LSD noises here too.......until the oil warms through......

hendry

Original Poster:

1,945 posts

253 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all

Mine has the 17" Minilite alikes and it tramlines too. They also weigh a ton and kerb badly. I have long considered an upgrade to something lighter and perhaps less damage prone (oxymoron?), but wasn't sure how comfortable I was hossing out the runflats for regular tyres and then no spare.

Thoughts? Anyone got a pic of the Bullets? Anything else recommended?

wobert

3,814 posts

193 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
hendry said:

Mine has the 17" Minilite alikes and it tramlines too. They also weigh a ton and kerb badly. I have long considered an upgrade to something lighter and perhaps less damage prone (oxymoron?), but wasn't sure how comfortable I was hossing out the runflats for regular tyres and then no spare.

Thoughts? Anyone got a pic of the Bullets? Anything else recommended?


Try doing a search on this site......you should find what you are after....

www.mini2.com/

Marki

15,763 posts

241 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
wobert said:


www.mini2.com/



i thought this could be an interesting site but if they are promoting this sort of crap i am not so sure

www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsMinis

Raify

6,552 posts

219 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
hendry said:

Thoughts? Anyone got a pic of the Bullets? Anything else recommended?


Throw the runflats in the bin. I can recommend the 16" S lites. good ride, un-kerbable.

wobert

3,814 posts

193 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
Marki said:
wobert said:


www.mini2.com/



i thought this could be an interesting site but if they are promoting this sort of crap i am not so sure

www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsMinis


Ignore that junk....the rest of the site is fine....I've been an active member since Nov 2002.....and it's a wealth of knowledge, most of which your dealer won't know about......

Marki

15,763 posts

241 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
wobert said:
Marki said:
wobert said:


www.mini2.com/



i thought this could be an interesting site but if they are promoting this sort of crap i am not so sure

www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsMinis


Ignore that junk....the rest of the site is fine....I've been an active member since Nov 2002.....and it's a wealth of knowledge, most of which your dealer won't know about......


cool

mybrainhurts

90,764 posts

226 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
6.5's not quick....my old Cav Turbo did that on a standard 204bhp.

klassiekerrally

2,543 posts

226 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
That MINI looks horrible.
PH said:
a multi-function steering wheel

So that's where the spare wheel has gone!

Petrol_noggin

3,046 posts

191 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
bin the aircon, bin the DSC, bin the multi function wheel, in fact bin the bini and get a proper car for that money, not a family hatch for sportscar money.

potatoboy666

108 posts

201 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
Buy a real mini, not something that has been slightly stripped out with a bumped up price tag.

rpm100

1,797 posts

192 months

Tuesday 21st February 2006
quotequote all
Marki said:

And on this same thread people are moaning that it costs 22k and you want carbon this carbon that ,,,,

no no no ask yourself why are bmw/JCW making this car?
you could say (or rather the marketing men WILL say) BMW/JCW wanted to show the world the cars sporting intensions/potential by producing this ltd edition master piece of engineering, which show cases the very latest in racing technology.
Tosh, if BMW/JCW were serious why would they limit the build number? Surely if they had planned to make more they could have invested in better r+d and specialist tooling for lighter components. This car should be showcasing class breaking technology! What a shame they didn't exploit the lessons they learnt in fitting carbon roofs to production cars ie m3csl + m6!

The real reason this car has been launched is quite simple. the marketing men want the buying public to get used to (even more) expensive and up market models, this is of course all in anticipation of the new turbo charged cooper s that is due at the beginning of next year, which is sure to be more expensive than the outgoing model!

so come on bmw/JCW less about product/marketing strategies, just give us a proper little racer that's actually worth 22k!

>> Edited by rpm100 on Tuesday 21st February 19:05