GRRC Membership - Is it worth it?

GRRC Membership - Is it worth it?

Author
Discussion

edo

16,699 posts

209 months

Thursday 14th June 2018
quotequote all
150mph said:
Edo and rockantsky,

How long were you on the waiting list please?

I’d be very interested to know.
Joined Fellowship last year, been on waiting list for a good 5+ years before that IIRC.

150mph

32 posts

38 months

Friday 15th June 2018
quotequote all
Thanks for replies.
It sounds like a 5 year wait at present.
Oh well...

150mph

32 posts

38 months

Friday 15th June 2018
quotequote all
UPDATE

Just received my own letter from the GRRC indicating “a wait of approximately 2-4 years before I’m invited to become a member.
I’ve been on the list over 2 years, so this underlines a 4-6 year wait, in case anyone else is curious.

The Crack Fox

13,518 posts

136 months

Monday 18th June 2018
quotequote all
FWIW; Was on the waiting list for maybe 3-4 years, was offered fellowship, told them it was a bloody insult to pay to be on a waiting list with no end in sight and to remove me fro the waiting list, was almost immediately offered membership then (!)

I am a huge fan of Goodwood events, but that fellowship thing left a very sour taste.

TheRainMaker

3,925 posts

186 months

Monday 18th June 2018
quotequote all
150mph said:
UPDATE

Just received my own letter from the GRRC indicating “a wait of approximately 2-4 years before I’m invited to become a member.
I’ve been on the list over 2 years, so this underlines a 4-6 year wait, in case anyone else is curious.
I had one a few weeks ago saying it would be 2020 at the latest, probably been on the list for three/ four years.

ecsrobin

9,882 posts

109 months

Tuesday 19th June 2018
quotequote all
The Crack Fox said:
FWIW; Was on the waiting list for maybe 3-4 years, was offered fellowship, told them it was a bloody insult to pay to be on a waiting list with no end in sight and to remove me fro the waiting list, was almost immediately offered membership then (!)

I am a huge fan of Goodwood events, but that fellowship thing left a very sour taste.
But when your payment goes to covering your entry fee it’s surely not that bad? I had to wait on a waiting list, get no perks and then pay a large amount of money at Christmas. With this it now makes the club more accessible to more enthusiasts who maybe don’t have as much money to spend on a club like this.

urquattroGus

1,063 posts

134 months

Tuesday 26th June 2018
quotequote all
I'm that mug that has bought fellowship membership for £39 thinking that I could then buy a pit pass ticket.

Disappointing as in my view pit access is the best bit.

I'm now on the member in waiting list but would be unsure when that turns up and whether it would represent value at circa £400

Also wanted to book the Hawthorn Parking but sods law my Alfa Giulia Sprint was made Aug 66' but then road registered 5th jan 1967!

So I've booked the pre78 Tax exempt carpark which should be OK.

I went to this event the first 2-3 years it was on and I seem to remember that you could access the pits and many areas on a general entry ticket.

I've been with friends for the couple of years and have a ticket again this year but to be honest i'm starting to wonder if the Revival is worth the hassle, victim of it's own success etc.

The last two years were absolutely insanely busy and I haven't managed to get to the pits and invariably it's rained and we end up jammed in like sardines somewhere.

sorry if that sound like sour grapes but I think i'll try and seek out some other events.

Enjoyed camping at the Pagent of power a few years ago, Le Mans most years etc




RichB

42,053 posts

228 months

Tuesday 26th June 2018
quotequote all
urquattroGus said:
I'm that mug that has bought fellowship membership for £39 thinking that I could then buy a pit pass ticket.

Disappointing as in my view pit access is the best bit.<clip> I went to this event the first 2-3 years it was on and I seem to remember that you could access the pits and many areas on a general entry ticket...
The central paddock access has always been restricted to badge holders (if that's what you mean by the pits). As the Revival has grown the paddock has sprawled out onto the concrete by the hangers and this is open access to holders of general entry tickets.

You should not be at all surprised that the paddock is GRRC & badge holders only, it's one of the key benefits of being a GRRC member.

TheRainMaker

3,925 posts

186 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
TheRainMaker said:
150mph said:
UPDATE

Just received my own letter from the GRRC indicating “a wait of approximately 2-4 years before I’m invited to become a member.
I’ve been on the list over 2 years, so this underlines a 4-6 year wait, in case anyone else is curious.
I had one a few weeks ago saying it would be 2020 at the latest, probably been on the list for three/ four years.
2020 came early, my invite came a few weeks ago, can't make up my mind on what to do.

They have also asked for a payment by cheque, I've not had a chequebook for years hehe

Oh, and they did take off the balance for being a fellow.

cypriot

269 posts

43 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
TheRainMaker said:
2020 came early, my invite came a few weeks ago, can't make up my mind on what to do.

They have also asked for a payment by cheque, I've not had a chequebook for years hehe

Oh, and they did take off the balance for being a fellow.
You can also pay over the phone... thats how I did it, as I also haven't seen a cheque book in years!

GOATever

1,071 posts

11 months

Monday 17th December 2018
quotequote all
As well as the discounted ticket prices, and paddock passes for the Revival, there are numerous other ‘Easter eggs’ that pop up ( often at short notice ) for which GRRC members are eligible. I’ve had a free flying lesson, and a Lexus Track day ( ragging a load of Lexus RC500s around Goodwood race circuit ) for free, in the recent past. Not all the ‘members only’ trips / visits are ( prohibitively for the majority ) expensive either. Oh, the Kennels membership is worth the cost alone, if you live locally enough to make it count as well.

lee44

34 posts

105 months

Wednesday 19th December 2018
quotequote all
I signed up to be on the waiting list years ago at one of the breakfast clubs. When the Fellowship started I signed up to keep my place on the list without really thinking about out too much. Over the year other than the welcome pack (that’s just sat in a drawer) and a few emails I’ve gained absolutely nothing from it. Not all wasted though as I now realise wouldn’t actually get anything from being a full member either so it’s saved me parting with £300+ only to then realise. Needless to say I didn’t renew the Fellowship last October but ever since I keep getting emails as if I was still a fellowship member. Now I’ve just had a phone call from Goodwood asking if I had considered my full membership application? They insisted I got sent an offer to join in the post with a follow up email in November neither of which I received. Although the deadline was December 7th they are giving me until Friday to sign up if I still wanted. They are either very confused or desperate, probably both!

RichB

42,053 posts

228 months

Wednesday 19th December 2018
quotequote all
lee44 said:
... I now realise wouldn’t actually get anything from being a full member ..
Indeed Lee, it sounds as though you made the right decision. Unless you are an avid enthusiast for historic motor racing and everything that surrounds it plus being reasonably close to Goodwood, say within an hours drive it wouldn't be your thing. I've only ever missed one Revival, the first one, and as soon as I attended I joined the GRRC so I've guess I've been a member for 18 years or so. Every year I question my membership but this year, while sat at the the Festival of Speed I added up the cost savings I'd made, and it wasn't far short of the membership fee. Of course I get to choose the grandstand I want at the Revival and get he paddock passes and use of the members marquee! Plus I've had lunch three times in Goodwood house, enjoyed invitation breakfasts in the control tower and generally enjoyed my membership. So for me it works but it's not for everyone.

andylaight

69 posts

70 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
Rich B, off topic slightly, after many Revivals going to FoS for first time on a Saturday. Worth getting grandstand? If so, which one?

ecsrobin

9,882 posts

109 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
andylaight said:
Rich B, off topic slightly, after many Revivals going to FoS for first time on a Saturday. Worth getting grandstand? If so, which one?
If first time don’t bother as walking round the paddocks will take most of your time up.

RichB

42,053 posts

228 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
ecsrobin said:
andylaight said:
Rich B, off topic slightly, after many Revivals going to FoS for first time on a Saturday. Worth getting grandstand? If so, which one?
If first time don’t bother as walking round the paddocks will take most of your time up.
Agree, for FoS I usually wander around all day...

andylaight

69 posts

70 months

Friday 21st December 2018
quotequote all
thanks escrobin, richb

Stridey

309 posts

51 months

Friday 21st December 2018
quotequote all
Last year I got seats in a stand as previous years I’d gone on a rainy day...

It was nice to have a dry bolt hole in reserve just in case. Don’t worry about getting seats near the front, drier at the back.

Tbh, I’d only buy seats on a stand again if I was doing 2 days, so much to see and do.

andy_mc

157 posts

95 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
TheRainMaker said:
150mph said:
UPDATE

Just received my own letter from the GRRC indicating “a wait of approximately 2-4 years before I’m invited to become a member.
I’ve been on the list over 2 years, so this underlines a 4-6 year wait, in case anyone else is curious.
I had one a few weeks ago saying it would be 2020 at the latest, probably been on the list for three/ four years.
Wow that is a monstrous wait. cannot be that many clubs with a wait that long. Such a shame, I was keen to get back to being a full member but don't know if I can hold out that long.... been over a year so far...

Ian Wegg

488 posts

84 months

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
andy_mc said:
Wow that is a monstrous wait. cannot be that many clubs with a wait that long. Such a shame, I was keen to get back to being a full member but don't know if I can hold out that long.... been over a year so far...
That's not unusual at all. The wait time for the MCC, for instance, is currently 26 years.

I think I waited about 7 years in total for GRRC but upping the membership numbers a few years ago and the introduction of the Fellowship appears to have shrunk the waiting list a lot.