Nurburgring 2021

Nurburgring 2021

Author
Discussion

RSbandit

Original Poster:

1,524 posts

99 months

Wednesday 17th February
quotequote all
We've had an annual thread so thought I'd kick another off. Obviously it's tricky to have travel plans right now but I'm booked for the Circuit days double just after Easter which was rolled forward after last year's corresponding event was cancelled. I'd have preferred a later trip in the summer tbh as I'm not sure this one will go ahead even though things are looking better on the covid front but here's hoping.

Thevet

1,558 posts

200 months

Friday 19th February
quotequote all
Hoping to finally make it this year after 2 years of car and covid disasters.......still dependent on return restrictions sadly. It has allowed a new engine and gearbox to be fitted, not my intention when I bought the car back but hey ho such is life.

RSbandit

Original Poster:

1,524 posts

99 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Nice track weapon what is it? So the Circuit days double after Easter has been postponed til late June, that's a relief tbh and seems sensible given what's going on much more likely to go ahead then.

Arklight

872 posts

156 months

Sunday 21st February
quotequote all
TF is still good to go from the 6th March, but as you mention its the travel restrictions that are going to be the main issue for most people not the track.

Thevet

1,558 posts

200 months

Sunday 21st February
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
Nice track weapon what is it? So the Circuit days double after Easter has been postponed til late June, that's a relief tbh and seems sensible given what's going on much more likely to go ahead then.
It is road legal, it was rebuilt from my crashed Ultima GTR as the "time attack Ultima", it's spent the last two years getting a new engine ordered, installed with twin turbos and custom exhaust, just awaiting the last piece of the rather nice clutch from MacGracing.
Has anyone heard of any DN news? Had to cancel again last year due to Covid restrictions, but the clutch failure would have forced that within the first few hours of going anyway.

ecain63

10,420 posts

142 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
Thevet said:
It is road legal, it was rebuilt from my crashed Ultima GTR as the "time attack Ultima", it's spent the last two years getting a new engine ordered, installed with twin turbos and custom exhaust, just awaiting the last piece of the rather nice clutch from MacGracing.
Has anyone heard of any DN news? Had to cancel again last year due to Covid restrictions, but the clutch failure would have forced that within the first few hours of going anyway.
Nope. Due to go in May after using my 2020 credit. Can't see it being possible personally, not without lengthy stays in quarantine anyway.

doogalman

522 posts

212 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
Arklight said:
TF is still good to go from the 6th March, but as you mention its the travel restrictions that are going to be the main issue for most people not the track.
TF is schedued for march the 6th. BUt that may get put back. There are still works going on on track re the cabling works, hopefully that will have progressed by then. Also here in the region opening will depend on the upcoming announcements from the state government before anything opens, not to mention the travel limitations at the moment that I cant see being lifted for a while yet.
I hope i am wrong as I need to get back to working.

doogalman

522 posts

212 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
Thevet said:
Hoping to finally make it this year after 2 years of car and covid disasters.......still dependent on return restrictions sadly. It has allowed a new engine and gearbox to be fitted, not my intention when I bought the car back but hey ho such is life.
Still waiting!! Good day Sir.

doogalman

522 posts

212 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
So the Circuit days double after Easter has been postponed til late June, that's a relief tbh and seems sensible given what's going on much more likely to go ahead then.
I know a few people that are pleased this has been moved. I've got trackdays in my diary for mid March onwards at Spa, lots of uncertainty there also. Many people waiting for announcements as technically the track is closed due to covid restrictions so again unless the government says it can open its all in limbo.
THere is also all the uncertainty of whats what with regard carnets and trailers for the guys that tow.


Thevet

1,558 posts

200 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
doogalman said:
Still waiting!! Good day Sir.
Hope all is well with you, and that we finally get the beastie over there, it's been some fiasco of mechanics, politics and viruses, but hopefully positive signs coming up. Not sure what the carnet story will be after brexit....... more grief for no reason.
If you see any DN info, poke me so that I can get booked in.

doogalman

522 posts

212 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Thevet said:
Hope all is well with you, and that we finally get the beastie over there, it's been some fiasco of mechanics, politics and viruses, but hopefully positive signs coming up. Not sure what the carnet story will be after brexit....... more grief for no reason.
If you see any DN info, poke me so that I can get booked in.
The DN dates are all out there on their website. The last I heard is that as far as DN are concerned they are going ahead. Obvbiously everything will be dependant on travel being permitted, and the track being allowed to open.
Latest interpretaion of whats going on borders.
http://www.autoaddicts.co.uk/brexit-rules-drive-ra...

ecain63

10,420 posts

142 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
doogalman said:
The DN dates are all out there on their website. The last I heard is that as far as DN are concerned they are going ahead. Obvbiously everything will be dependant on travel being permitted, and the track being allowed to open.
Latest interpretaion of whats going on borders.
http://www.autoaddicts.co.uk/brexit-rules-drive-ra...
Going ahead or not, for the large number of UK attendees the possibility of lengthy quarantine periods makes it totally out of the question. You'd need 22/23 days off work for one day at the Ring currently. Hopefully this will change, but with travel banned until mid May it's unlikely that DN staff themselves will be able to attend, let alone host it in our absence.

Unless they can agree a date later in the year to host the May event it'll be another roll over to 2022. Or resigning to a give punters a refund / credit for another provider in 2021. My personal preference would be to reschedule the same event later in the year as I suspect the original £500-600 ticket price won't go that far as a credit once demand impacts future dates and prices.



Thevet

1,558 posts

200 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
There's a couple of days at the end of Aug/start Sept, hopefully restrictions less and vaccine passports in place by then

handbraketurn

1,343 posts

133 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all



Thevet

1,558 posts

200 months

Sunday 2nd May
quotequote all
Any news about DN21? Car is just starting to get sorted, hope covid is too

ecain63

10,420 posts

142 months

Monday 3rd May
quotequote all
Thevet said:
Any news about DN21? Car is just starting to get sorted, hope covid is too
There was an email and text message the other day. Looks like it's still going ahead, pending the release of "greenlight country" list in the coming days. Darren and the team are hoping to sort a covid test facility for us to use before we head home too.

I'm still cautious about the potential for a last minute scuppering, but hopefully we'll all be allowed to safely travel.

Adenauer

18,062 posts

203 months

Monday 3rd May
quotequote all
ecain63 said:
Thevet said:
Any news about DN21? Car is just starting to get sorted, hope covid is too
There was an email and text message the other day. Looks like it's still going ahead, pending the release of "greenlight country" list in the coming days. Darren and the team are hoping to sort a covid test facility for us to use before we head home too.

I'm still cautious about the potential for a last minute scuppering, but hopefully we'll all be allowed to safely travel.
There's a drive up test centre at the ring now.

RSbandit

Original Poster:

1,524 posts

99 months

Monday 3rd May
quotequote all
ecain63 said:
There was an email and text message the other day. Looks like it's still going ahead, pending the release of "greenlight country" list in the coming days. Darren and the team are hoping to sort a covid test facility for us to use before we head home too.

I'm still cautious about the potential for a last minute scuppering, but hopefully we'll all be allowed to safely travel.
And if Germany not on the green list? Quite possible given their slower vaccine rollout?

RSbandit

Original Poster:

1,524 posts

99 months

Monday 3rd May
quotequote all
Just saw a news story that EU looking to open up travel to fully vaccinated people whether from inside or outside the bloc....positive news although not clear on the timeline.

ringweekends

584 posts

220 months

Tuesday 4th May
quotequote all
I guess we'll get a little more clarity by the end of this week and things are changing quickly.