Classic car storage fire back in Dec.

Classic car storage fire back in Dec.

Author
Discussion

Total loss

Original Poster:

2,128 posts

191 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
Just seen the terrible pictures of the storage fire from back in December, amongst the Ferraris, Astons, McLarens etc all destroyed, sits a lonely Yank, at a guess, a bit of a special one as well.
The thread with all the pics.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...


Edited by Total loss on Friday 26th February 21:28

rat rod

1,654 posts

29 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Total loss said:
Just seen the terrible pictures of the storage fire from back in December, amongst the Ferraris, Astons, McLarens etc all destroyed, sits a lonely Yank, at a guess, a bit of a special one as well.
The thread with all the pics.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...


Edited by Total loss on Friday 26th February 21:28
OMG, Eggs all in one basket, Worried me less when i had my cars in various locations, pain in the ass when you wanted to work on them

with tools all over the place plus having to travel sometimes miles but beats what's happened here, most apart from two of my cars are now

at home with me all under cover in different building , The two that are stored away from home share a four car wooden/brick building

with two Aston Martins somewhere quite remote and although alarmed is always a worry plus all four cars need a battery tender on them

twenty four hours if not driving them regularly which is a worry in itself. OK they are insured but that's seems to be all right until you

make a claim, scary if they start to wriggle on a so called technicality, I wrote off a 911 Turbo in the New Forest some years ago and had

that been a Mondeo worth £2k i would have been paid in weeks, what was black and white to me went out the window and the insurance

company made a real song and dance of it and sent a investigator down to grill me, when they finally decided to pay me they kept

me waiting forever trying to wear me down on the figure ,Took six months before they reluctantly paid the settlement .

Feel for all the owners of the cars that were lost especially "2 manycars " who's on here and lost twenty in one hit , if they were insured by the same

company what a headache that would be if they behaved like my company did.

Most insurance company's go after a third party to reclaim their loss if they think they will be successful ,in this case maybe the owner of the

storage company or farmer or who ever it might be. For what it's worth the yank in between what i think is a Shadow and the

E Type looks like a 68 Road Runner to me ?


Total loss

Original Poster:

2,128 posts

191 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
rat rod said:
... For what it's worth the yank in between what i think is a Shadow and the E Type looks like a 68 Road Runner to me ?

Close, a 69, (rectangular side marker), one thing makes it look like it was more than just a normal Road Runner though.....

SRT Hellcat

6,510 posts

181 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
That is dreadful and a very sad read this morning frown

roscobbc

1,324 posts

206 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Looking at the original thread this was drawn from and I see some comments re. no one was hurt - and to the effect cars were (presumably) fully insured and 'replaceable' - and perhaps the shells will turn-up somewhere later in a re-built vehicle etc etc........... its not really the point is it?. For the average 'non-potted' person even one very special car that perhaps they have inherited/saved/invested for years to buy has gone (and through a dispute with someone else)........someone/several people seemingly have torched the building - guessing it has absolutely nothing to do with the individual car owners. This sort of thing (like insurance scams) isn't exactly new is it? - individual owners may get 'weighed-out' perhaps. Is it just me who would want to see good old fashioned 'eye for eye' justice carried out here to the perpetrators?

rat rod

1,654 posts

29 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
roscobbc said:
Looking at the original thread this was drawn from and I see some comments re. no one was hurt - and to the effect cars were (presumably) fully insured and 'replaceable' - and perhaps the shells will turn-up somewhere later in a re-built vehicle etc etc........... its not really the point is it?. For the average 'non-potted' person even one very special car that perhaps they have inherited/saved/invested for years to buy has gone (and through a dispute with someone else)........someone/several people seemingly have torched the building - guessing it has absolutely nothing to do with the individual car owners. This sort of thing (like insurance scams) isn't exactly new is it? - individual owners may get 'weighed-out' perhaps. Is it just me who would want to see good old fashioned 'eye for eye' justice carried out here to the perpetrators?
Tragic that this was probably done just to get even over a grunge with the owner of the store or someone who was know to store their

cars there, They knew what they were doing ,made sure nothing survived. Hope all the cars were insured and being classics and

super cars most will probably have agreed value. If this was proper run storage facility not some farmer just out to make a buck

surely they would have a business insurance to cover such eventualities .

This is my worst nightmare either while my cars are in storage or while driving, fire can do so much more damage than just accident

damage,

newsatten

738 posts

78 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Looks like a lightly fabricated farm type barn? no obvious large supports ? the remains in the foreground looks like a funeral pyre !
And yep fire takes no prisoners ................................................................................................


rat rod

1,654 posts

29 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
newsatten said:
Looks like a lightly fabricated farm type barn? no obvious large supports ? the remains in the foreground looks like a funeral pyre !
And yep fire takes no prisoners ................................................................................................

The papers said that around 70/80 classic and super cars were stored, including a La Ferrari they say worth £3 million ,

Many of the cars belonged to a wealthy classic car dealer and was something to do with a finance scheme,

in that case money motivated rather than your personal bride and joy which is more than can be said for private loses

of irreplaceable cars that money can't replace .

Was said that the Fine Car Store ltd owned the business so in that case they should have full cover

Total loss

Original Poster:

2,128 posts

191 months

Friday 5th March
quotequote all
P.S. re. the 'special' yank bit, after working out it was a '69 Road Runner, I wondered why the hood was missing, then thought its not missing, just destroyed in the fire, only a fibreglass one would do that, so the car looks to be a rare A12 code '69 1/2 6-pack car.

rat rod

1,654 posts

29 months

Friday 5th March
quotequote all
Total loss said:
P.S. re. the 'special' yank bit, after working out it was a '69 Road Runner, I wondered why the hood was missing, then thought its not missing, just destroyed in the fire, only a fibreglass one would do that, so the car looks to be a rare A12 code '69 1/2 6-pack car.
The La Ferrari is easier to replace than that ,if at all, Ouch !

newsatten

738 posts

78 months

Sunday 14th March
quotequote all

newsatten

738 posts

78 months

Sunday 14th March
quotequote all


These pics so the true scale of destruction ,

rat rod

1,654 posts

29 months

Sunday 14th March
quotequote all
newsatten said:


These pics so the true scale of destruction ,
After seeing these photo's always gives me the heebie- jeebies when i think of my unattended cars with those battery tenders

on ,also the two Aston's they share the garage with are not only on tenders but are plugged into these cocoons which are

always making strange noises, The sooner i move or sell them the better ,

Maybe demolish the house and build garages with a flat above , that's all me and the boys need.

Trouble is i've got rid of my mortgage and to old to start again,