Ladies Rolex purchase

Ladies Rolex purchase

Author
Discussion

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,587 posts

226 months

Thursday 27th June
quotequote all
I want to purchase a secondhand ladies Rolex for my partner who will be celebrating a "significant" birthday soon. Where would you guys recommend I purchase from?

Cipo

305 posts

127 months

Thursday 27th June
quotequote all
hackettwatches.com

Dominic is a great guy and recommended from many on here.

Maxym

928 posts

181 months

Thursday 27th June
quotequote all
Pragnell seem always to have a good selection.

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,587 posts

226 months

Monday 12th August
quotequote all


Went into my local rolex shop and bought the above. Its a 31. £4800 and no discount. Interesting now that Rolex's only need servicing every 10 years. He mentioned that Rolex is the only watch brand where they don't give discounts on. He says its just down to demand. The factory have increased their production but still can't keep up with demand.

Brads67

1,746 posts

43 months

Monday 12th August
quotequote all
Rolex dealers have been known to lie about all of the above.

smithyithy

4,467 posts

63 months

Monday 12th August
quotequote all
Following this with interest - looking for a similar purchase for my mom's 60th in January.

She looked at a two tone Tudor on the weekend which she really liked, 'only' about £2k though, not sure if that's a good enough budget for a used ladies Rolex..

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,587 posts

226 months

Monday 12th August
quotequote all
Brads67 said:
Rolex dealers have been known to lie about all of the above.
I've been around long enough to know that wink Just saying what they said

toastybase

1,869 posts

153 months

Monday 12th August
quotequote all
Whatever you do don’t buy from the chap down Luton market as I found out the hard way.

Whitean3

2,057 posts

143 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:


Went into my local rolex shop and bought the above. Its a 31. £4800 and no discount. Interesting now that Rolex's only need servicing every 10 years. He mentioned that Rolex is the only watch brand where they don't give discounts on. He says its just down to demand. The factory have increased their production but still can't keep up with demand.
Just bought something very similar for my wife- 10 years married to me had to be worth something! Got a 31 mm Datejust with Oyster bracelet and black dial- but went for fluted bezel and diamond markers (actually not too blingy!).

We went to the largest official dealer in town to get a feel for what we wanted, and as you said, the dealer have extremely limited stock- only 4 31mm Datejusts for example. Nothing stainless steel/sports, they don't even have waiting lists anymore for the 'desirable' models. I know this is Rolex artificially limiting supply, but it can't really be doing them any favours if you can't get to see/try on the watches. And absolutely no discounts from them either.

In the end (actually, it was always the plan) we bought the exact spec watch, brand new from a 'grey' dealer and saved a grand.

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,587 posts

226 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Whitean3 said:
Just bought something very similar for my wife- 10 years married to me had to be worth something! Got a 31 mm Datejust with Oyster bracelet and black dial- but went for fluted bezel and diamond markers (actually not too blingy!).

We went to the largest official dealer in town to get a feel for what we wanted, and as you said, the dealer have extremely limited stock- only 4 31mm Datejusts for example. Nothing stainless steel/sports, they don't even have waiting lists anymore for the 'desirable' models. I know this is Rolex artificially limiting supply, but it can't really be doing them any favours if you can't get to see/try on the watches. And absolutely no discounts from them either.

In the end (actually, it was always the plan) we bought the exact spec watch, brand new from a 'grey' dealer and saved a grand.
Now you tell me! which grey market dealer so that I know next time.

coldsnap

862 posts

104 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
If anyone is still looking, my local AD has this on their website:

https://www.walkerthejeweller.com/pre-owned-watche...


Whitean3

2,057 posts

143 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
Now you tell me! which grey market dealer so that I know next time.
Initially found on chrono24, but I did some additional checks. I live in Switzerland and to save faffing about with import duties etc, went for a Swiss dealer.
As others have said, people like Dominic Hackett in the UK have a fantastic reputation.


The watches are out there, new, unworn or almost new (as well as plenty of second hand!)- and rarely at the official Rolex dealers. Much more choice to be had.

This is the 3rd brand new watch I've bought from an unofficial dealer; 2 previously from the US. Got even better deals on those. I can recommend Gemnation in New York- they were great to deal with- but they don't do Rolex (I don't think)