HMS Queen Elizabeth

Author
Discussion

Marty63

Original Poster:

2,347 posts

122 months

Wednesday 20th June 2012
quotequote all
Wow, she's a biggin


Cyder

6,534 posts

168 months

Wednesday 20th June 2012
quotequote all
Awesome, good job we've got a load of harriers and toys to fly off it.

Ah wait. frown

Godalmighty83

417 posts

202 months

Wednesday 20th June 2012
quotequote all
Or at least will be a biggun, not quite that far into build yet.

Lots of pics of the bits here- http://www.flickr.com/photos/qeclasscarriers/

Many of the superblocks are built up and many parts are ready to be welded together so the ship should start taking shape now quite quickly. I don't think a harrier pilot would know what to do with all that room and a ship big enough to iron out the waves.

davepoth

29,395 posts

147 months

Wednesday 20th June 2012
quotequote all
Godalmighty83 said:
Or at least will be a biggun, not quite that far into build yet.

Lots of pics of the bits here- http://www.flickr.com/photos/qeclasscarriers/

Many of the superblocks are built up and many parts are ready to be welded together so the ship should start taking shape now quite quickly. I don't think a harrier pilot would know what to do with all that room and a ship big enough to iron out the waves.
I reckon a harrier would probably be small enough to fly directly into the hangar, judging by the size of that lift. Maybe you could get some bonus points for that. smile

Simpo Two

70,311 posts

213 months

Wednesday 20th June 2012
quotequote all
Blimey, that's wide. Taking off and landing side by side? I see the traditional angled strip has gone.

Fishtigua

9,786 posts

143 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
We made all the escape hatches and hull doors over here in Guernsey. Fabricated, painted and shipped over as units to weld into which ever end was built in each yard. Shame they forgot how to launch the Sopworths in the design.

davepoth

29,395 posts

147 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
Simpo Two said:
Blimey, that's wide. Taking off and landing side by side? I see the traditional angled strip has gone.
No need for it if you aren't landing horizontally I suppose.

phumy

4,679 posts

185 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
Traditionally lifts have always been accomodated on the port side or centre of the ship, its good to see theyve started to use the starb`d (redundant to flight ops) side, to keep flying in all conditions.

I still cant see how they can flood that dry dock and get her out wink

Godalmighty83

417 posts

202 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
Simpo Two said:
Blimey, that's wide. Taking off and landing side by side? I see the traditional angled strip has gone.
In theory a wider deck will allow it to carry out a lot of landing and take off operations at the same time at a faster rate, although in reality I cant see much of it being used especially in peace time due to the risks of multiple aircraft and down-washes at the same time. Iam not sure if a official launch rate has been mentioned but if memory serves the invincibles always struggled getting a reasonable wing in the air in short order due to a lack of room to prep and get the aircraft ready for launch, with a bit of luck the massive increase in room will allow a lot more a lot faster.

Gazzas86

1,544 posts

119 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
Gutted i wont ever get to serve on one!, done my time on illustrious and that was big for me.

Davie

3,000 posts

163 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
Obviously somebody will have checked... but that's a big bugger and there's the small matter of the Forth Bridge. The old carriers had to drop their masts/aerial/sky dics even at low tide (or so I was told) so I can only assume they'll have to fit a few of the higher bits after it passes under or perhaps flood the ballast tanks? Of is she deceptively low, if incredibly wide?

bobbylondonuk

2,076 posts

138 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
How does she compare with the big US carriers?

rhinochopig

17,932 posts

146 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
Such a shame that we no longer have a domestic moth-ball manufacturing capability big enough for her. We'll have to buy them in from the Indians. Damn defence cuts.

LukeSi

5,456 posts

109 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
bobbylondonuk said:
How does she compare with the big US carriers?

el stovey

28,931 posts

211 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
Amazing how many more aircraft the Nimitz class carries.

dirkgently

2,102 posts

179 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
el stovey said:
Amazing how many more aircraft the Nimitz class carries.
About 90 more in the current climate smile

Simpo Two

70,311 posts

213 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
We could have gone over and nicked the French one for nothing.

AshVX220

4,199 posts

138 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
Davie said:
Obviously somebody will have checked... but that's a big bugger and there's the small matter of the Forth Bridge. The old carriers had to drop their masts/aerial/sky dics even at low tide (or so I was told) so I can only assume they'll have to fit a few of the higher bits after it passes under or perhaps flood the ballast tanks? Of is she deceptively low, if incredibly wide?
The only part of the ship which is a problem is the "Pole-Mast", which is located on the forward edge of the aft Island. This has been designed with a hinge mechanism, so it can be folded whenever the ship needs to come under the bridge.

phumy

4,679 posts

185 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
doogz said:
phumy said:
Traditionally lifts have always been accomodated on the port side or centre of the ship, its good to see theyve started to use the starb`d (redundant to flight ops) side, to keep flying in all conditions.

I still cant see how they can flood that dry dock and get her out wink
Have they? Nimitz, Enterprise, Kitty Hawk, all had lifts on the stbd side, forward and aft of the island/islands, as will the new Fords.
Since when has the Nimitz, Enterprise, Kitty Hawk been part of the traditional British aircraft carrier fleet?

Anyway the starbd lifts on the septic carriers are for the ice cream vans, coke machines and burger vans, not aircraft. wink

AshVX220

4,199 posts

138 months

Thursday 21st June 2012
quotequote all
phumy said:
doogz said:
phumy said:
Traditionally lifts have always been accomodated on the port side or centre of the ship, its good to see theyve started to use the starb`d (redundant to flight ops) side, to keep flying in all conditions.

I still cant see how they can flood that dry dock and get her out wink
Have they? Nimitz, Enterprise, Kitty Hawk, all had lifts on the stbd side, forward and aft of the island/islands, as will the new Fords.
Since when has the Nimitz, Enterprise, Kitty Hawk been part of the traditional British aircraft carrier fleet?

Anyway the starbd lifts on the septic carriers are for the ice cream vans, coke machines and burger vans, not aircraft. wink
Ah, you didn't specify British! wink
They could put a whole MCD's restraunt on the lifts on QEC! smile Each lift can take two JCA, which is a bigger airframe than a Harrier to start with, I [u]think[/u] they can also take a Chinook un-folded.