The Secret Horsepower Race - WW2 Aero Engines in detail

The Secret Horsepower Race - WW2 Aero Engines in detail

Author
Discussion

Simpo Two

74,852 posts

229 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
I think the author just turned up!

Eric Mc

114,593 posts

229 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
Good stuff too.

dirky dirk

2,231 posts

134 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
I read something interesting the other day

The luftwaffe was so short of jet fuel for the me262
They towed them to the end of the runway,
Via cow.

Max hastings lancaster

Penguinracer

1,053 posts

170 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Am I alone in looking at a Sea Fury, Griffon Spit, Bear Cat or Mustang selling for the same as the latest hyper car and thinking - these aircraft though expensive - are insanely great value relative to these hyper cars?

I can see at least $US10m of engineering in these great piston fighters but I struggle to see the $US3 - 5m in the cars.

Calum, I bought your book - loved it - just the ticket for everyone from private to professional pilots, aviation nerds, plane spotters and anyone else who appreciates the pinnacle of piston aerospace engineering.

Thank you for bringing your project to fruition.

Simpo Two

74,852 posts

229 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Penguinracer said:
Am I alone in looking at a Sea Fury, Griffon Spit, Bear Cat or Mustang selling for the same as the latest hyper car and thinking - these aircraft though expensive - are insanely great value relative to these hyper cars?
Running costs, storage and upkeep somewhat more though. If you thought anything prefixed 'marine' was expensive, try 'warbird'!

outnumbered

2,932 posts

198 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Snowygrouch said:
In the next printing I`ll maybe try to add a paragraph to clarify the above.
Thanks for the clarification here anyway.


NMNeil

1,509 posts

14 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Some old archive videos of the Merlin being made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fo7SmNuUU4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVWyZf5MQk
BF109 Daimler Benz engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qr7coMtjh0
And the BF109 itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCY11-LeOJI
Not a piston engine but a fascinating video on how to assemble and launch the V1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EEZuXQyA-E



aeropilot

23,747 posts

191 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Simpo Two said:
Penguinracer said:
Am I alone in looking at a Sea Fury, Griffon Spit, Bear Cat or Mustang selling for the same as the latest hyper car and thinking - these aircraft though expensive - are insanely great value relative to these hyper cars?
Running costs, storage and upkeep somewhat more though. If you thought anything prefixed 'marine' was expensive, try 'warbird'!
Yep.

There are rich boys toys, there are boats.............and then there's the warbird owner......and then there's the multiple warbird owner biggrin


emperorburger

781 posts

30 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
The secret behind German engine performance: GM-1 and MW-50

https://youtu.be/stL8eSyieSU

May be of interest to some.


Penguinracer

1,053 posts

170 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Running costs - for sure - it was just the sheer quality & quantity of engineering you were buying compared to a hypercard which interested me.

In terms of fascinating engines I've always been intrigued by the P&W R-4360 & the Wright R-3350.

frisbee

3,328 posts

74 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
There's a good LJK Setright book about the development of aircraft piston engines from the very beginning, The Power to Fly: The Development of the Piston Engine in Aviation. Extremely readable and full of little stories.

It's been a while since I read it but from what I remember he had a soft spot for sleeve valves. Some of the ideas the early designers came up with to work around limitations of materials etc. are very interesting.

Piginapoke

1,813 posts

149 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
dirky dirk said:
I read something interesting the other day

The luftwaffe was so short of jet fuel for the me262
They towed them to the end of the runway,
Via cow.

Max hastings lancaster
Do you mean Hasting's Dambusters book?

CoupeKid

258 posts

29 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
frisbee said:
There's a good LJK Setright book about the development of aircraft piston engines from the very beginning, The Power to Fly: The Development of the Piston Engine in Aviation. Extremely readable and full of little stories.

It's been a while since I read it but from what I remember he had a soft spot for sleeve valves. Some of the ideas the early designers came up with to work around limitations of materials etc. are very interesting.
Currently about £300 on Amazon yikes