ALDI Food Worth Trying?

Author
Discussion

cuprabob

8,173 posts

162 months

Saturday 2nd November
quotequote all
Steamer said:
andburg said:
back to topic as intended


picked ups some of the fake mars/snickers for trick or treaters and tried them..prefer them to the real thing!
Love Racer bars - One bar is never enough
I'm addicted to the "Chunky" bars. smile

andburg

3,364 posts

117 months

Saturday 2nd November
quotequote all
There is just more. It to racers than snickers and that’s why I prefer

Tony Angelino

884 posts

61 months

Saturday 2nd November
quotequote all
Deluxe smoked salmon half price this weekend in Lidl (£1,49). 2x levels of smokiness, lovely tasting, great value and suitable for freezing.


Puggit

41,924 posts

196 months

Tuesday 5th November
quotequote all
Pre cooked spicy chips - under a blanket of Jalepenos, bacon, cheddar and mozzerella. OMG!

andburg

3,364 posts

117 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
More port....
The 10 year old Maynard tawny, lovely and woody. Completely different to the 10 year old sandemans that’s I just finished

tobinen

5,581 posts

93 months

Saturday 9th November
quotequote all
This took my fancy last night so I bought it. I am not a millionaire. Tune in to the breakfast thread later for results ...


mgsontour

435 posts

17 months

Saturday 9th November
quotequote all
I didn't realise this thread was going but happy to contribute.

I've been testing a few products on quality not price ( wife does that bit ) and found these solid winners:

Norpak butter

Dark mint chocolate ( individual wrapped and thin for after dinner )

Carole premium baked beans

Harvest tinned copped tomatoes

Chicken and beef gravy granules

Every bottle of wine I've tried over £6 has been good quality


Edited by mgsontour on Saturday 9th November 19:35

andburg

3,364 posts

117 months

Saturday 9th November
quotequote all
The new aged dry hopped beer in the black bottle is rather nice! And it’s not in the seasonal section, winner

Like a leffe blonde with a slight dry hopping

wobert

2,588 posts

170 months

Saturday 9th November
quotequote all
On the Aldi wine front I can recommend the following (in ascending order... laugh)

All are good, but the Pinot Noir and Zinfandel are exceptional for the money.....esp the Zinfandel smile










NormalWisdom

2,059 posts

107 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
wobert said:
On the Aldi wine front I can recommend the following (in ascending order... laugh)

All are good, but the Pinot Noir and Zinfandel are exceptional for the money.....esp the Zinfandel smile
That Zinfandel is remarkable for the price

Greendubber

8,421 posts

151 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
Chocolate lebkuchen are back in....my Christmas equivalent of crack cocaine.

wobert

2,588 posts

170 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
NormalWisdom said:
wobert said:
On the Aldi wine front I can recommend the following (in ascending order... laugh)

All are good, but the Pinot Noir and Zinfandel are exceptional for the money.....esp the Zinfandel smile
That Zinfandel is remarkable for the price
Yes, it was “star wine” at our wine quiz, so much so one of guys bought the last 15 bottles available in our local Aldi!

Don Veloci

1,449 posts

229 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
Used the £10 off £40 spend Lidl voucher from the Metro to stock up the freezer and pick up a couple of treats.

Deluxe gingerbread & butterscotch bombe was excellent. Very nice change from opting for the usual choice of a chocolate warm melty thing.

Seems there is a salted caramel variety too but never saw that one.

Aldi? The little individual "gift" Christmas cake isn't bad.

V8mate

42,997 posts

137 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
Greendubber said:
Chocolate lebkuchen are back in....my Christmas equivalent of crack cocaine.
The Aldi ones are horrid this year. Really overdone it on the fake almond flavouring.

I did tuck into some of Lidl's choc-covered Stollen bites yesterday though... most agreeable!

Trustmeimadoctor

4,970 posts

103 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
im liking the asda lebkuchen most this year i think

Greendubber

8,421 posts

151 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
V8mate said:
Greendubber said:
Chocolate lebkuchen are back in....my Christmas equivalent of crack cocaine.
The Aldi ones are horrid this year. Really overdone it on the fake almond flavouring.

I did tuck into some of Lidl's choc-covered Stollen bites yesterday though... most agreeable!
The two packs I've managed to plough through tasted OK to me hehe

majordad

3,203 posts

145 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
Didn’t know Lidl / Aldi did money off vouchers , they certainly don’t here in Ireland. One of their mantras is lower prices not discounts.

Butter Face

19,547 posts

108 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
Greendubber said:
V8mate said:
Greendubber said:
Chocolate lebkuchen are back in....my Christmas equivalent of crack cocaine.
The Aldi ones are horrid this year. Really overdone it on the fake almond flavouring.

I did tuck into some of Lidl's choc-covered Stollen bites yesterday though... most agreeable!
The two packs I've managed to plough through tasted OK to me hehe
I ate a whole pack with a glass of milk earlier, glorious.

I’ve another 9 packs in the cupboard, just in case.

wobert

2,588 posts

170 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
This Stollen thing I find puzzling....call me a blasphemer if you like laugh

I bought a pack of the Aldi Apple Stollen on Friday to see what the fuss was about.

They were “ok” but at 109 calories each I’m flabbergasted that people can eat full / multiple packs in one sitting, presumably you all go and run a marathon afterwards to burn the excess calories off?

(Caveat Emptor: I’m in shape, Round is a shape smile)

ambuletz

8,154 posts

129 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
what the fudge is this stollen stuff? a bread? i can't tell.

im curious and my get this for my mum. while i enjoy pastry its something i rarely eat. she does regularlly eat croissants, hot cross buns, apple pie, etc.. i this something that you can eat and cover with butter? or a spread? if its good then she'll probably like it.