The bbq photo & recipe thread

Author
Discussion

Turn7

21,085 posts

198 months

Sunday 13th February
quotequote all
Zhoug is a weird, I like it on lamb but can’t imagaine it on anything else.

Output Flange

16,616 posts

188 months

Sunday 13th February
quotequote all
Turn7 said:
Zhoug is a weird, I like it on lamb but can’t imagaine it on anything else.
It’s great on pretty much any veg.

Turn7

21,085 posts

198 months

Sunday 13th February
quotequote all
Output Flange said:
Turn7 said:
Zhoug is a weird, I like it on lamb but can’t imagaine it on anything else.
It’s great on pretty much any veg.
Not thought of that tbh !

tedmus

1,833 posts

112 months

Sunday 13th February
quotequote all
Turn7 said:
Zhoug is a weird, I like it on lamb but can’t imagaine it on anything else.
Mixed with some yoghurt, lemon juice and olive oil it makes a great marinade for kebabs.

Turn7

21,085 posts

198 months

Sunday 13th February
quotequote all
tedmus said:
Turn7 said:
Zhoug is a weird, I like it on lamb but can’t imagaine it on anything else.
Mixed with some yoghurt, lemon juice and olive oil it makes a great marinade for kebabs.
Agreed, that’s how I’ve always used it.

eyebeebe

2,483 posts

210 months

Sunday 27th March
quotequote all
I’ve been meaning to make this for a while, but getting a bone in lamb shoulder in Switzerland is quite tricky.

From the Grillstock recipe book… pulled lamb shoulder with mint sauce made with fresh mint and jalapeño infused cider vinegar. Cooked at 110 for six and a half hours with pecan chips thrown in for the first few hours. Lamb was rubbed with Meathead beef rub. It was delicious but we expected the flavour of the lamb to punch through stronger.

ade73

350 posts

86 months

Monday 28th March
quotequote all
Rotisserie beef top side, sea salt and black pepper rub.








ade73

350 posts

86 months

Monday 28th March
quotequote all
321 method pork ribs on my Aldi Kamado.

Trimmed, membrane removed and a DIY rub the night before.



3 hours low and slow smoked with oak.



Basted with honey and BBQ sauce then foil wrapped for a further 2 hours.



Unwrapped and a further 20-30 mins over the coal and more basting.




UTH

4,367 posts

155 months

Tuesday 29th March
quotequote all
Interested to see your method for the ribs......pleased to see my method is very similar, although I may well try your 20-30 mins last stage which I don't do.

I assume they were amazing in the end? Any idea what temp your low and slow is?

Mykap

615 posts

165 months

Tuesday 29th March
quotequote all
It's been poor weather all week here in Spain so the Broil King gas bbq was brought into service.

Pork chops cedar planked. Delicious.




The plank has beenused twice and still looks good for at least two more cooks.


ade73

350 posts

86 months

Tuesday 29th March
quotequote all
UTH said:
Interested to see your method for the ribs......pleased to see my method is very similar, although I may well try your 20-30 mins last stage which I don't do.

I assume they were amazing in the end? Any idea what temp your low and slow is?
Yes, using the honey and BBQ sauce from their foil tents to baste and make them very sticky/messy.

Temp was around 100c for the 3 and 2 sections. smile

UTH

4,367 posts

155 months

Wednesday 30th March
quotequote all
ade73 said:
UTH said:
Interested to see your method for the ribs......pleased to see my method is very similar, although I may well try your 20-30 mins last stage which I don't do.

I assume they were amazing in the end? Any idea what temp your low and slow is?
Yes, using the honey and BBQ sauce from their foil tents to baste and make them very sticky/messy.

Temp was around 100c for the 3 and 2 sections. smile
Cool thank you, we do have very similar methods, with yours adding a bit extra. Looking forward to trying it next summer LOL

mattyn1

4,984 posts

132 months

Saturday 2nd April
quotequote all
Did some brisket today and omg was amazing!

Lit the smoker at 0700. Prepared the meat with a rub of mild chilli powder, bbq seasoning, steak seasoning, pepper and salt.
Meat on at 0800, temp well balanced at 250.
Lots of spraying and injecting with a mix of apple juice, red wine, rum, brandy and water.
At 1400 wrapped in foil for two hours.
At 1600 unwrapped and cooked for another hour.
At 1700, wrapped and rested for an hour.
Best ever brisket I have done. Juicy, tasty, tender and soft as hell!!

9 + 1 hours, but worth it.

Served with onions, peppers, wraps etc!

Wonderful!




Not Ideal

2,788 posts

165 months

Monday 4th April
quotequote all
^^ have to say that looks ACE.

Well done.

Greshamst

1,586 posts

97 months

Monday 4th April
quotequote all
Wow that looks spot on, great work.

ade73

350 posts

86 months

Tuesday 5th April
quotequote all
Looks very nice, I've yet to try brisket on my kamado.

sidekickdmr

4,841 posts

183 months

Wednesday 6th April
quotequote all
I get to go shopping for some new bbq toys soon!

I would like a small gas for convenience, and a charcoal/smoker for larger gatherings/weekends.

Thinking something like this small weber gas: https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/gas/web...

And this smoker/coal bbq: https://www.bbqs2u.co.uk/masterbuilt-bbqs/925-mast...

Does that seem like a dream 2 bbq combo to you or suggest anything different?

number2

2,390 posts

164 months

Wednesday 6th April
quotequote all
sidekickdmr said:
I get to go shopping for some new bbq toys soon!

I would like a small gas for convenience, and a charcoal/smoker for larger gatherings/weekends.

Thinking something like this small weber gas: https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/gas/web...

And this smoker/coal bbq: https://www.bbqs2u.co.uk/masterbuilt-bbqs/925-mast...

Does that seem like a dream 2 bbq combo to you or suggest anything different?
I've this Weber gas that I use alongside a Kamado: https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/gas/web... I wouldn't get anything smaller - the surface area is useful to move things off heat etc. and quickly gets taken up, even for two people if you've got multiple items cooking and want some space between them.

Additionally, I don't find that the bbq generates much heat, even using the sear station additional burner - the barbeques with the infra-red appear to do a much better job at that if you're looking at the odd steak sear etc.

Looking back, I wish I bought the Big Joe rather than the Classic as there's quite a bit of dead space around the grill in Kamados due to their design. It did cost a lot more though.

Latter point not wholly relevant to you, but the message is:

- go bigger if you can, you're unlikely to regret it.
- consider an alternative to Weber with an infrared area if you might ever want use a high heat

sc0tt

17,530 posts

178 months

Tuesday 12th April
quotequote all
What cut of lamb to use for a lamb shish please?

Tesco are doing half price leg of lamb and wondered whether I could butcher that or I should be using a different cut?


Audis5b9

483 posts

49 months

Tuesday 12th April
quotequote all
sc0tt said:
What cut of lamb to use for a lamb shish please?

Tesco are doing half price leg of lamb and wondered whether I could butcher that or I should be using a different cut?
Ideally shoulder, but leg will work. It just wont be quite as moist due to the lower fat content.